chiropractic, what's the deal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2014, 11:54 AM
chiropractic, what's the deal?
I used to compete in the "Iron Sports", weightlifting, powerlifting, and to a smaller degree bodybuilding. I worked out for about 18 years, nearly half my life. I've spent a good portion of my life throwing heavy weights around the gym. (the gym owner wasn't too happy, Smile ). Anyway, my back would go through periods of moderate to severe pain. Orthopedic doctors simply told me I need to stretch my muscles more so I started stretching for 30 minutes a day. I got flexible but the back pain would eventually come back. There was no way I was going to have any type of surgery on my spine. There's too much risk. So, despite all of the nonscientific basis for chiropractic, I decided to try it. Of course the chiropractor found a "subluxation" which apparently is not recognized by modern medicine. So, I went into the chiropractor, my back was aching like mad. The pain was right in the tail bone area. He started at the base of my neck and started "popping" vertebrae all the way down my back. When he got to the painful area he had me change positions and popped my low back and right after he popped it I felt sudden RELIEF! Afterwards he had his assistant give me a sort of quick (5 minute) massage with something like mineral ice/Ben-Gay cream. I was pain free for 3 days then it came back. To make a long story short, I ended up going back to the chiropractor 3 times a week and eventually the pain went away.
I know people are skeptical of it but is there a chance that even if subluxations don't exist that chiropractors are onto something and we should maybe study it more? Maybe it's simply a fancy massage. It's possible that I just got temporary relief while my back healed on it's own. Whatever happened, I'm glad I went to this chiropractor (my old man calls them "chiroquackers").
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes matt1162's post
26-10-2014, 12:02 PM
RE: chiropractic, what's the deal?
(26-10-2014 11:54 AM)matt1162 Wrote:  Maybe it's simply a fancy massage. It's possible that I just got temporary relief while my back healed on it's own.

You answered your own question.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
26-10-2014, 12:15 PM
You wouldn't risk back surgery but you'd risk someone "popping" vertebrae?
Read that a few times, go ahead think about that.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
26-10-2014, 12:37 PM
(26-10-2014 12:15 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  You wouldn't risk back surgery but you'd risk someone "popping" vertebrae?

One man pushing lightly on your back is pretty low risk compared to being cut open and having a knife cut through nerves, bone, soft tissue between vertebrae, etc. Chiropractors have the lowest malpractice insurance costs of any type of physician. There's a reason for that. Now, read what you posted a few times and think about it.
[+] 1 user Likes matt1162's post
26-10-2014, 01:31 PM
(26-10-2014 12:37 PM)matt1162 Wrote:  
(26-10-2014 12:15 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  You wouldn't risk back surgery but you'd risk someone "popping" vertebrae?

One man pushing lightly on your back is pretty low risk compared to being cut open and having a knife cut through nerves, bone, soft tissue between vertebrae, etc. Chiropractors have the lowest malpractice insurance costs of any type of physician. There's a reason for that. Now, read what you posted a few times and think about it.

Go get a good massage, it's the same thing without all the woo.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
26-10-2014, 02:01 PM
(26-10-2014 01:31 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(26-10-2014 12:37 PM)matt1162 Wrote:  One man pushing lightly on your back is pretty low risk compared to being cut open and having a knife cut through nerves, bone, soft tissue between vertebrae, etc. Chiropractors have the lowest malpractice insurance costs of any type of physician. There's a reason for that. Now, read what you posted a few times and think about it.

Go get a good massage, it's the same thing without all the woo.

Nope. It's not.

I've had both, they're different.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-10-2014, 02:09 PM
I am a skeptic, and there is no evidence for many of the claims of chiropractic, nor of the mechanisms they say underlie problems.

So I was horrified when one of my brothers became a chiropractor. Shocking

I have had chronic lower back, neck, shoulder, and hip pain for many years due to sports injuries, car accidents, bicycle accidents. I figured that my brother was offering free chiropractic, so I'm thinking "Why not? Let's do the experiment."

Well, the spinal manipulation temporarily decreases, or even eliminates, some kinds of pain.

The rest of the claims? Probably nonsense.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-10-2014, 03:07 PM
My wife swears by her chiropractor and she's as skeptical as I am. She says the body manipulation helps her but she doesn't place any credence when the chiro says she's going to release the bad vapors, whatever the hell that means.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
26-10-2014, 03:28 PM
(26-10-2014 02:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-10-2014 01:31 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Go get a good massage, it's the same thing without all the woo.

Nope. It's not.

I've had both, they're different.

Oh, that's true. But a good massage without woo is great. The other thing that helps pain is one of those isolation tanks. They put a ton of epsom salts in it which makes you float and it's good for muscle pain. This is another case where lots of woo is added to make it seem magical. Um, it's not magic, the epsom salts and floating simply relax the muscles. Nothing more.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
26-10-2014, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2014 07:58 PM by Anjele.)
The chiropractor my one grandmother frequented assured her that all the snaps and pops she heard during his 'treatments' were normal. As was the discomfort.

I suppose the bone cancer that killed her would have been more successfully treated if she hadn't believed that the chiro could cure her.

Funny that after that and snapping a neighbors neck so that it caused her death, he packed up his family in the middle of the night and left the country. Bastard.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF