chiropractic, what's the deal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2014, 04:19 PM
RE: chiropractic, what's the deal?
(26-10-2014 11:54 AM)matt1162 Wrote:  I used to compete in the "Iron Sports", weightlifting, powerlifting, and to a smaller degree bodybuilding. I worked out for about 18 years, nearly half my life. I've spent a good portion of my life throwing heavy weights around the gym. (the gym owner wasn't too happy, Smile ). Anyway, my back would go through periods of moderate to severe pain. Orthopedic doctors simply told me I need to stretch my muscles more so I started stretching for 30 minutes a day. I got flexible but the back pain would eventually come back. There was no way I was going to have any type of surgery on my spine. There's too much risk. So, despite all of the nonscientific basis for chiropractic, I decided to try it. Of course the chiropractor found a "subluxation" which apparently is not recognized by modern medicine. So, I went into the chiropractor, my back was aching like mad. The pain was right in the tail bone area. He started at the base of my neck and started "popping" vertebrae all the way down my back. When he got to the painful area he had me change positions and popped my low back and right after he popped it I felt sudden RELIEF! Afterwards he had his assistant give me a sort of quick (5 minute) massage with something like mineral ice/Ben-Gay cream. I was pain free for 3 days then it came back. To make a long story short, I ended up going back to the chiropractor 3 times a week and eventually the pain went away.
I know people are skeptical of it but is there a chance that even if subluxations don't exist that chiropractors are onto something and we should maybe study it more? Maybe it's simply a fancy massage. It's possible that I just got temporary relief while my back healed on it's own. Whatever happened, I'm glad I went to this chiropractor (my old man calls them "chiroquackers").

I'm not all that much of a fan of Back-crackers, myself, though I've never seen and and while I was backing back problems I admit I wanted to see one; the alternatives were 'go on as I was' or 'doctors orders; see back-stabber.' I chose go on, eventually. The effectiveness if chiro is... iffy... It works well particularly on the lower back by relieving pressure in your back, but if a back-cracker tells you his work will solve anything else, he's lying and don't give 'em your money.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2014, 04:28 PM
(26-10-2014 02:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  I am a skeptic, and there is no evidence for many of the claims of chiropractic, nor of the mechanisms they say underlie problems.

So I was horrified when one of my brothers became a chiropractor. Shocking

I have had chronic lower back, neck, shoulder, and hip pain for many years due to sports injuries, car accidents, bicycle accidents. I figured that my brother was offering free chiropractic, so I'm thinking "Why not? Let's do the experiment."

Well, the spinal manipulation temporarily decreases, or even eliminates, some kinds of pain.

The rest of the claims? Probably nonsense.

I think I've posted this anecdote before. Consider

I was on day two of a bout of lower back pain/sciatica. I plopped down on a kitchen stool on one butt check. I felt and heard a crunch in my lower back and the pain was gone.
I had invented self-chiropractic. Smile

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-10-2014, 05:47 PM
(26-10-2014 04:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-10-2014 02:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  I am a skeptic, and there is no evidence for many of the claims of chiropractic, nor of the mechanisms they say underlie problems.

I have had chronic lower back, neck, shoulder, and hip pain for many years due to sports injuries, car accidents, bicycle accidents. I figured that my brother was offering free chiropractic, so I'm thinking "Why not? Let's do the experiment."

Well, the spinal manipulation temporarily decreases, or even eliminates, some kinds of pain.

I was on day two of a bout of lower back pain/sciatica. I plopped down on a kitchen stool on one butt check. I felt and heard a crunch in my lower back and the pain was gone.
Butt Check Laughat

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
26-10-2014, 05:48 PM
(26-10-2014 05:47 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(26-10-2014 04:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  I think I've posted this anecdote before. Consider

Butt Check Laughat

Ass adjustment

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
26-10-2014, 07:47 PM
I remember the desks in high school seemed to work perfectly for getting most all the vertebrae to align and "pop" perfectly. It became a ritual in homeroom everyday. it felt soooo good.

now that I have been out of school for 30 yrs I need to get that fix elsewhere. Sometimes my husband can lift me in a certain way and give a good jolt and they will all pop, but I think after awhile posture and being out of shape can make a body fall into positions regularly that arent good. for me, a chiropractor feels like everything is back where it should be, even if my poor muscle tone doesnt keep it there.

kinda like a really good stretch, but for the bones.

i don't expect miracle cures, just some relief from minor aches and pains.

I might go twice a year nowdays, when the kids were little I was going more frequently because I was twisting my body in unhealthy ways frequently.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
26-10-2014, 08:21 PM
(26-10-2014 04:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Now you just need to figure out how to profit from it. Thumbsup

[Image: 8GPBUWb.png]

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
26-10-2014, 08:53 PM
(26-10-2014 07:47 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I remember the desks in high school seemed to work perfectly for getting most all the vertebrae to align and "pop" perfectly. It became a ritual in homeroom everyday. it felt soooo good.

now that I have been out of school for 30 yrs I need to get that fix elsewhere. Sometimes my husband can lift me in a certain way and give a good jolt and they will all pop, but I think after awhile posture and being out of shape can make a body fall into positions regularly that arent good. for me, a chiropractor feels like everything is back where it should be, even if my poor muscle tone doesnt keep it there.

I might go twice a year nowdays, when the kids were little I was going more frequently because I was twisting my body in unhealthy ways frequently.

What about stretching the bones this way......

[Image: inversion+table.jpg]

some people swear by this method.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
26-10-2014, 09:04 PM
I used to pop my back on my school desk, too, Bows! It felt great.

Nowadays, I rarely pop my back or neck. I do yoga at least once a week and it stretches my body and gives my muscles some much-needed strength.

I'd definitely rather do yoga than go to a chiropractor.

To the flippy upsidedown thingy - I tried that once. I didn't particularly enjoy the blood rushing to my head, but I did feel a stretch in my lower back that I'd never felt before. It was kinda painful, actually. :/

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
27-10-2014, 01:40 AM

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
27-10-2014, 02:37 AM
(26-10-2014 08:53 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(26-10-2014 07:47 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I remember the desks in high school seemed to work perfectly for getting most all the vertebrae to align and "pop" perfectly. It became a ritual in homeroom everyday. it felt soooo good.

What about stretching the bones this way......

[Image: inversion+table.jpg]

some people swear by this method.

I have often looked at those, I think my back would like it, but like colorcraze the blood going to my head doesnt feel well.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller