chiropractic, what's the deal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2014, 05:30 AM
RE: chiropractic, what's the deal?
One word - massage chair, in your living room. ( ok, that's not one word Tongue) The new ones stretch you as much as one of those stretching machines that just take up way too much space otherwise.

They grab you by the calves and pull to a full stretch. They are not cheap by far, but they are much cheaper than a chiropractor in the long run, and they are always ready for you. Day and night, 24/7

I have one of the older types that don't stretch or apply heat, and yet it is the most wonderful thing that ever happened to my body. I can't even imagine how wonderful the new ones are.

I am sure there are good and bad Chiropractors, like everything else. I do go along with the description "massage on steroids". I don't believe they heal anything, they just give relief.

Massage chairs do the same, and they need no appointments. They are not the massively huge chairs they used to be, you can find a size and color that fits perfectly in your living room and serves as a normal arm chair/recliner.

They are programmable with 4 different massages, a couple auto programs (love these) heat application and stretching, and they feel like an actual person giving the massage with a strength you can set, too.

If you are going to spend a bunch of money on a chiropractor in the long run, consider a massage chair. Nothing like getting relief when and where you want/need it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2014, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2014 08:17 AM by CONVERSIONTUBE.)
My roommate had a clicking jaw when he ate.

He went to a Chiropractor and it was gone after a few visits.

For some things that shit just works.

I was as happy as hell because that shit was annoying.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-10-2014, 11:02 AM
(27-10-2014 02:37 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(26-10-2014 08:53 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  What about stretching the bones this way......

[Image: inversion+table.jpg]

some people swear by this method.

I have often looked at those, I think my back would like it, but like colorcraze the blood going to my head doesnt feel well.

Yeah, I can't be upside down for very long. I have sinus problems and when I'm inverted my head feels like it's going to pop off and fly around the room like a suddenly deflated balloon. But for some people it works, just not me.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
01-11-2014, 07:44 AM
I have some back issues due to a number of things, with the biggest contributor being cycling. I used to ride a lot and my hamstrings got really, really short and tight as as result. I was not stretching enough and my back finally went. I ended up with an orthopedist and in physical therapy. I've never, ever been to a chiropractor, though, and am very reluctant to go to one.

I've managed to improve my back by stretching a lot more and doing a lot more weights at the gym. I do a lot of back exercises and make sure I do dead lifts weekly (I'm very careful about my form and do less weight to ensure proper form). Between stretching and exercise, my back has improved a lot. I also do less cycling than I used to, partly due to my back and partly due to my current job doesn't allow for as much time on the bike.

Does it work? I don't know, but I think there are other alternatives beyond someone just messing with your spine. At least, in my case there was. My situation is obviously not everyone's situation.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
02-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Aetna covers it. So there's that.

#sigh
02-11-2014, 12:50 PM
(01-11-2014 07:44 AM)BnW Wrote:  I do a lot of back exercises and make sure I do dead lifts weekly (I'm very careful about my form and do less weight to ensure proper form).

I use a trap bar for deadlifts. Spine is in proper alignment through the entire movement when using a trap bar so I don't need to skimp on the weight.
[Image: trapbar.png]

#sigh
03-11-2014, 08:25 PM
(26-10-2014 08:53 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  What about stretching the bones this way......

[Image: inversion+table.jpg]

some people swear by this method.
I can think of at least three other uses for that contraption so I'd call it a good investment.

(I have nothing of import to add. Please continue.)

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
03-11-2014, 08:27 PM
(02-11-2014 12:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 07:44 AM)BnW Wrote:  I do a lot of back exercises and make sure I do dead lifts weekly (I'm very careful about my form and do less weight to ensure proper form).

I use a trap bar for deadlifts. Spine is in proper alignment through the entire movement when using a trap bar so I don't need to skimp on the weight.
[Image: trapbar.png]

Thanks for that tip. I'm going to see if my gym has one.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
03-11-2014, 08:49 PM
(26-10-2014 11:54 AM)matt1162 Wrote:  I used to compete in the "Iron Sports", weightlifting, powerlifting, and to a smaller degree bodybuilding. I worked out for about 18 years, nearly half my life. I've spent a good portion of my life throwing heavy weights around the gym. (the gym owner wasn't too happy, Smile ). Anyway, my back would go through periods of moderate to severe pain. Orthopedic doctors simply told me I need to stretch my muscles more so I started stretching for 30 minutes a day. I got flexible but the back pain would eventually come back. There was no way I was going to have any type of surgery on my spine. There's too much risk. So, despite all of the nonscientific basis for chiropractic, I decided to try it. Of course the chiropractor found a "subluxation" which apparently is not recognized by modern medicine. So, I went into the chiropractor, my back was aching like mad. The pain was right in the tail bone area. He started at the base of my neck and started "popping" vertebrae all the way down my back. When he got to the painful area he had me change positions and popped my low back and right after he popped it I felt sudden RELIEF! Afterwards he had his assistant give me a sort of quick (5 minute) massage with something like mineral ice/Ben-Gay cream. I was pain free for 3 days then it came back. To make a long story short, I ended up going back to the chiropractor 3 times a week and eventually the pain went away.
I know people are skeptical of it but is there a chance that even if subluxations don't exist that chiropractors are onto something and we should maybe study it more? Maybe it's simply a fancy massage. It's possible that I just got temporary relief while my back healed on it's own. Whatever happened, I'm glad I went to this chiropractor (my old man calls them "chiroquackers").

Maybe there is hope afterall, I have been lifting heavy for...33 years, and I have that same pain in the L-5 area on the right side of spine. Had an xray done, and the doc said, "woah, you have 4 degenerated disks in your back, including L-5 which is the worse, in fac tit might even be herniated, lets do an MRI"...so did MRI, this Wed I get that followup to go over the MRI....sigh...getting old sux

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
03-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Chiropractic is bullshit. There's nothing else to say.