christian hypocrisy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2017, 05:18 PM
christian hypocrisy
One thing that really annoys me about christians is their hypocrisy. They behave in ways that are totally contradictory to what they say they believe. When confronted about this they just "I'm forgiven". I know if I were god, I would tell them to leave me alone and that I am tired of hearing from them and their whining for forgiveness, and then seeing them continue to do the same thing over, and over again. I'm also sick of hearing, "I'm not infallible". That's just an excuse to keep on doing bad things and treating people anyway you feel like. As long as you have your convenient get out of jail free card, why would you change? And as mysterious as gods will is, somehow christians always know it in gods will to forgive them. That's why it cracks me up when christians say that Atheists just want to keep on sinning. Quite the contrary. It's Atheists that have to be accountable in the hear and now for the things they do, and don't have a magical sky daddy who magically takes away all responsibility for the bad things I have done.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like kevin308's post
22-04-2017, 05:28 PM
RE: christian hypocrisy
A lot of Christians are like that but not all of them. Maybe super obvious but I thought it was worth pointing out. I get what you're saying though. I hate that shit, too.
22-04-2017, 05:34 PM
So what if I do just want to keep on sinning? Sin is great Smile

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
22-04-2017, 05:35 PM
(22-04-2017 05:34 PM)cactus Wrote:  So what if I do just want to keep on sinning? Sin is great Smile
I'm kind of fond of it myselfSmile
[+] 1 user Likes kevin308's post
22-04-2017, 05:48 PM
Christian hypocrisy is probably the main thing I hate about christians. The whole religion is stupid.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
22-04-2017, 05:59 PM
(22-04-2017 05:34 PM)cactus Wrote:  So what if I do just want to keep on sinning? Sin is great Smile
But sinning requires someone to sin against...

Used to drive Grandma crazy. She'd warn me of the dangers of living in sin. I pointed out that I can't sin against gods that aren't there. I asked if she sinned against Allah when she ate pork.
She said it doesn't matter, because Allah's not real.
I'd say, 'and there you have it' and then duck because she'd throw something at me.

...and then say something like 'you throw like an old lady,' and she'd clock me a good one with whatever she threw next.
[+] 5 users Like Missiletowe's post
22-04-2017, 06:12 PM
(22-04-2017 05:18 PM)kevin308 Wrote:  One thing that really annoys me about christians is their hypocrisy. They behave in ways that are totally contradictory to what they say they believe. When confronted about this they just "I'm forgiven". I know if I were god, I would tell them to leave me alone and that I am tired of hearing from them and their whining for forgiveness, and then seeing them continue to do the same thing over, and over again. I'm also sick of hearing, "I'm not infallible". That's just an excuse to keep on doing bad things and treating people anyway you feel like. As long as you have your convenient get out of jail free card, why would you change? And as mysterious as gods will is, somehow christians always know it in gods will to forgive them. That's why it cracks me up when christians say that Atheists just want to keep on sinning. Quite the contrary. It's Atheists that have to be accountable in the hear and now for the things they do, and don't have a magical sky daddy who magically takes away all responsibility for the bad things I have done.

Stop right there. It is easy to make everything about the most frequent label we may run into. But the truth is there is no such thing as a 100% consistent label. Every nation has hospitals and prisons.

Even with the word "atheist" it would be bullshit to say we agree all the time, we don't. I have run into Ayn Rand "fuck you I got mine" atheists who would vote either GOP or Libertarian. I have also run into other atheists who like Che, the asshole who lead to Castro's Cuba. I hate both.

Of course they are "hypocrites" but so is every label. Muslims and Jews and Hindus and Buddhists and even atheists do not agree on all things all the time.

Labs are where facts are determined. If you focus on that, then when they call us names all you have to do is say "Fine, I hear you claim that, care to take it to a neutral lab"

The "hypocrisy" isn't because they are Christians, it is because most humans don't have the time to test things in a lab, including Muslims and Jews and Hindus and Buddhists and yes, even atheists.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Brian37's post
22-04-2017, 06:59 PM
What gets me the most is the sheer areogance behind their dogma, and their 'humility' complex. "I am made in the image of the creator of all of existence, and I'm so important to it that it died *cough* had a bad weekend *cough* -just- for me, so now I'm immortal. Oh, oh but 'I' don't deserve it."

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
22-04-2017, 07:15 PM
(22-04-2017 05:18 PM)kevin308 Wrote:  One thing that really annoys me about christians is their hypocrisy. They behave in ways that are totally contradictory to what they say they believe. When confronted about this they just "I'm forgiven". I know if I were god, I would tell them to leave me alone and that I am tired of hearing from them and their whining for forgiveness, and then seeing them continue to do the same thing over, and over again. I'm also sick of hearing, "I'm not infallible". That's just an excuse to keep on doing bad things and treating people anyway you feel like. As long as you have your convenient get out of jail free card, why would you change? And as mysterious as gods will is, somehow christians always know it in gods will to forgive them. That's why it cracks me up when christians say that Atheists just want to keep on sinning. Quite the contrary. It's Atheists that have to be accountable in the here and now for the things they do, and don't have a magical sky daddy who magically takes away all responsibility for the bad things I have done.
As a former evangelical I can tell you that while much of what you're saying is logically true, most of us nevertheless carried a pretty heavy burden of inadequacy, guilt, and the constant fear of displeasing our cranky sky daddy. You're forgetting that the ideology breeds at least as much, if not more, of inferiority, unworthiness, and self-loathing as it does smarmy arrogance. For every believer who considers eternal security a get-out-of-jail-free pass, there are several who feel unworthy of it. Not to mention, there are the holiness types who very much DON'T believe that you can't lose your salvation.

It's just that the assholes are far more visible / obnoxious / obvious. The others are all cowering behind them, trying to stay out of sight and not attract attention.

You're also forgetting that people often don't hold logically consistent positions, in or out of religion. While I believed in eternal security, I also believed god had certain claims on me / expectations of me, and while he might not send me to hell for sinning, he might not protect me or mine, either, or he might punish or test me in unpleasant ways. Those temporal consequences of my behavior were in practice far more "real" to me than the promised eternal life of endless bliss.

Also, there is a prevalent teaching that you may not be aware of, that suggests that heaven is some sort of meritocracy, that one gets more status and a better situation and more authority in heaven for good behavior on earth. The scriptural support for this is thin, but not non-existent, and many pastors flogged this quite a bit with us because they feared the "get out of jail free pass" thing you are talking about. Also, most pastors were not satisfied with our level of attendance, financial giving, and participation / volunteering and they needed to compensate for the removal of the Big Stick of eternal perdition, to try to guilt people into being more consistent.
[+] 5 users Like mordant's post
22-04-2017, 07:20 PM
I'll be the first to admit that I'm a hypocrite. Not humble-bragging either, it sucks to be one. But seriously, the hypocrisy is often draining on a lot of positions by some of my fellow Christians. A few examples:

"I'm prolife! But the death penalty is awesome, and those mothers shouldn't be given access to food stamps or medical care or educational aid for those children that they were so irresponsible in having!"

"Look at the Jesus Fish on my car! Now it's time to cut across five lanes without signalling and flip everyone off!"

And one from people I knew personally, that I'll make into an example quote-ish thing too, "Oh we love you two guys and your kids. You're such a pillar of our church community, we so love getting your above 10% tithes every wee--what? You got married now that it's legal? Fuck you. Fuck your children. Get the fuck out of our church and never come back you fucking reprobate abominations living in sin! And fuck you if you try to bring up everyone here on their third marriage, that's at least between a man and a woman, so it's not as bad a sin!"

(22-04-2017 06:59 PM)Loom Wrote:  *cough* had a bad weekend *cough*

As a theist, I absolutely Heart Julia Sweeney's "Letting Go of God". That has to be one of the most heartbreaking points of it though, talking about her brother's cancer versus the crucifixion and Resurrection belief.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Shai Hulud's post