christians obsessed with hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2014, 02:48 AM
RE: christians obsessed with hell
It is my understanding Hell was a dump. Jew's wished to avoid Hell because it meant they could not afford a proper funeral. So avoiding Hell was about avoiding failure and living as a pauper. Paupers bodies were thrown onto the fire of the dump called Hell.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2014, 05:30 AM
(24-04-2014 02:48 AM)Banjo Wrote:  It is my understanding Hell was a dump. Jew's wished to avoid Hell because it meant they could not afford a proper funeral. So avoiding Hell was about avoiding failure and living as a pauper. Paupers bodies were thrown onto the fire of the dump called Hell.

The Jews didn't (and still don't) have a conception of Hell, which has more to do with the Christian cult lifting ideas from the Greek concept of Hades than anything to do with Sheol. The Yahweh of the Old Testament was a tribalistic genocidal asshole, but he didn't threaten to torture the dead; when the ground swallowed you up he was essentially done with you.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
24-04-2014, 05:40 AM
I mean a rubbish dump.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
24-04-2014, 05:45 AM
(24-04-2014 05:40 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I mean a rubbish dump.

That would be Gehenna.

24-04-2014, 05:47 AM
Yes.

Banjo.
24-04-2014, 06:01 AM
(24-04-2014 05:47 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Yes.

Hell =/= Gehenna

24-04-2014, 06:11 AM
FMD!

Here. This story. If I was to tell you my name, would you ask me to spell it???

According to the Wikipedia, "The valley forms the southern border of ancient Jerusalem and stretches from the foot of Mt. Zion, eastward, to the Kidron Valley. Originally it referred to a garbage dump in a deep narrow valley right outside the walls of Jerusalem where fires were kept burning to consume the refuse and keep down the stench. It is also the location where bodies of executed criminals, or individuals denied a proper burial, would be dumped. In addition, this valley was frequently not controlled by the Jewish authority within the city walls; it is traditionally held that this valley was used as a place of religious child-sacrifice to Moloch by the Canaanites outside the city."

Banjo.
24-04-2014, 07:05 AM
(23-04-2014 05:21 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  like one specific point: they're obsession with hell.

they are so blood thirsty and would love to wait to see homosexuals and atheists go to hell.

I'd like to hope these types are a minority, but I know they do exist. Any time they revel in it, it certainly does come off as bloodthirsty. Their actual stated position is they are pro-torture, and they're looking forward to it happening.

(23-04-2014 05:21 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  like how can so many people say "oh just wait till judgement and you'll be sorry" with a smile on their face!

I think a lot of this has to do with them losing the argument or not having anything poignant to say. They want to fill the void of silence with something, so that is what comes out, or they're mad that you made their position look stupid, and they want you to suffer for it.

This also can be a side effect of the cognitive dissonance one has to deal with when believing in a most merciful god that created hell. Most people aren't really cool with that, so they have to convince themselves that God's judgment is just, and anyone receiving it truly deserved it. Hence, they tend to vilify anyone who goes against their beliefs.

(23-04-2014 05:21 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  Okay, not all Christians and Religious people are super hateful, but all of them are so brainwashed that they don't even know what they're saying is discriminatory.

Yeah, I don't think most of them are this bad. Most Christians will say something insensitive to nonbelievers at some point, but that is pretty much solely based on them projecting their beliefs onto the situation. So, with no malice intended, many Christians will blame a non-believer for their lack of belief, for example.

It's part and parcel to a non-verifiable, absolutist world view.

(23-04-2014 05:21 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  how do you deal with stupid Christian comments?

Luckily, I don't deal with this much in person. The closest I come is from a few Facebook friends, and I can usually get them to a polite agree-to-disagree pretty quickly. Some of their moron friends might jump in and go full-fundy, but I don't tend to hang out with people like that, as a general rule.
24-04-2014, 09:38 AM
(23-04-2014 05:21 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  they bring up retarded things like pasquals wager.

[Image: aVSVQ.png]

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 2 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
24-04-2014, 10:49 AM
(24-04-2014 02:48 AM)Banjo Wrote:  It is my understanding Hell was a dump. Jew's wished to avoid Hell because it meant they could not afford a proper funeral. So avoiding Hell was about avoiding failure and living as a pauper. Paupers bodies were thrown onto the fire of the dump called Hell.

That idea is supported by Rob Bell's Love Wins, but it doesn't have a lot of evidence to support it. I thought the entire argument hinges on one esoteric verse in the OT mentioning Hinnom and the writings of some 12th century rabbi.

My wife loves this book, but it's just another theory bouncing around various apologists. It cracks me up to read reviews of the book online and to see Christians attacking the book for not being based in evidence. Lol.