church services in a gym

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2014, 08:59 AM
church services in a gym
A cousin of mine sings in church choir and she posts a picture once a week. She never leaves a religious comment nor does she ever post anything else religious, unlike a couple other people I know.

The thing that struck me as interesting was that her congregation doesn't have a church. They rent a gym for their services and people sit in fold out chairs. From the pictures I would say less than 50 people attend each week and I like this because they don't seem to be about making money.

They have a live band and I imagine the people that are there feel more connected to each other. I would love to see this eventually happen in all large cities. Do away with the church buildings and reduce their numbers from thousands down to 50.

If nothing else I admire their lack of greed.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2014, 09:01 AM
RE: church services in a gym
I certainly admire their lack of greed - and I'm all for services of that size and scale - but can we keep the more impressive buildings, if nothing else because they're awesome in terms of ritual even if no meaning is taken from what they represent.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
31-08-2014, 09:06 AM
They all start out this way, I went to a church where it started out in a small church building, they bought out a strip mall across the street and built a pretty big church there that could sit several hundred people. Then the pastor expanded to an auditorium to sit 1000+ people, the old part was for children.

Then the pastor admitted to having an affair a few months ago, I'm pretty sure this church is going to slowly die. The congregation just filters out to other competing mega churches if they get fed up with the nonsense.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
31-08-2014, 09:24 AM
(31-08-2014 09:01 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  I certainly admire their lack of greed - and I'm all for services of that size and scale - but can we keep the more impressive buildings, if nothing else because they're awesome in terms of ritual even if no meaning is taken from what they represent.

One of the awesome chapels I've been to is the Air Force Academy Chapel. Awesome design, and it is all inclusive of any of the religions with separate parts of the building for them.

[Image: afachapel.jpg]

[Image: US_Air_Force_Academy_Chapel.jpg]
31-08-2014, 12:19 PM
but do they even lift? Consider

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
01-09-2014, 04:19 AM
A lot of churches start out really small. It might only be a matter of time before they get a building of their own. All it takes is numbers of people and donated money.

Chuches, even in my home town have grown and expanded on their own buildings because of the number of people and money they get from them.

....Atheists should make their own churches lol. That way I can start my own up and in a few years, have enough money to retire with a Ferrari.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ