circumcision

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2011, 07:16 PM

circumcision
I'm a male who was not brought up Jewish (or any religion that endorses circumcision for religious reasons) but I will not say if I am or am not because that doesn't matter.

I'm curious about the matter though, and statistics. Possibly because I am 27 and may be having my first child in the next few years, and it could be a boy. What are your views on the matter... is this something that is normal procedure now? Do more people get it done for hygiene, religious reasons, peer pressure? lol

Hope I have posted in the right area, I know it is sort of a medical topic but really it's roots comes down to religion.
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2011, 07:23 PM
RE: circumcision
I don't see it as normal. at least not in my community.
My friend got circumcised last year though, against his will I might add! He was in for a checkup at the hospital and the Dr said "I have time in my schedule today so why don't I give you a circumcision? Its for your health and it will only take a few minutes."
My friend didn't even know what it was 0.o up until he woke up about a half hour later with a very severe pain.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2011, 07:56 PM
(12-01-2011 07:16 PM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  I'm curious about the matter though, and statistics. Possibly because I am 27 and may be having my first child in the next few years, and it could be a boy. What are your views on the matter... is this something that is normal procedure now? Do more people get it done for hygiene, religious reasons, peer pressure?

I never had the choice - don't think my parents were even asked at the time - just standard operating procedure...

When my son was born I opted out. There are hygiene risks though. As long as he washes, and rinses regularly there never should be an issue -- but boys are notorious for not doing everything they're supposed to do...we have run into a couple infections over the years and I told him on the last trip to the doctor that if he didn't properly take care of it he would get it circumcised. That was about 7 years ago and he hasn't had a problem taking care of business since. Blush

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-01-2011, 08:37 PM
There is no reason at all why you should mutilate your son.

Though if you want to know why not this is a website I use that has a lot of information on it http://senslip.com/

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
12-01-2011, 09:20 PM
(12-01-2011 07:23 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  I don't see it as normal. at least not in my community.
My friend got circumcised last year though, against his will I might add! He was in for a checkup at the hospital and the Dr said "I have time in my schedule today so why don't I give you a circumcision? Its for your health and it will only take a few minutes."
My friend didn't even know what it was 0.o up until he woke up about a half hour later with a very severe pain.

He ok'd a procedure that he didn't ask to have explained to him? Sorry to be blunt, but that was very stupid. That's not against his will.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
12-01-2011, 09:24 PM

I don't know how tasteful this is, but as a girl (insert whisper) circumcision is a good thing. I'm sure it doesn't feel so good though, so I can't really have an opinion that matters. I'm not sure I could have done it if I'd had sons.
12-01-2011, 09:24 PM
(12-01-2011 07:16 PM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  Hope I have posted in the right area, I know it is sort of a medical topic but really it's roots comes down to religion.

In the US it's more of a cultural thing than anything else. There really are no good medical reasons for it. It just goes along with the whole American prudish beliefs. OMG! It's a penis! It must be DIRTY!!! They can't just chop the whole thing off, so...

My husband is European. He says that over there it's only done for religious reasons. He doesn't seem to have any complaints or issues. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
12-01-2011, 09:35 PM

I had a slightly hard time with this when my first son was born. I'm circumcised, and when push came to shove my boys got done so that they looked like me. Hey I know it aint the best reason, but its the truth. I figured even if the hygiene angle was not entirely true it still couldn't hurt. It certainly had nothing to do with religion.
12-01-2011, 09:44 PM
I had it done in adulthood for medical reasons. (It was absolutely nescessary) There was a thread on here about it a while back.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
12-01-2011, 11:59 PM
It's a form of mutilation and it's done for most people when they're infants and cannot give consent. The male foreskin is very sensitive and there are risks involved with the procedure.
The worst part is that it's being played as a prevention mechanism for aids on religious grounds.

Deaths by circumcision :
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/s...40bb69b610
http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/20451...rcumcision
http://www.ejpress.org/article/14206

Surgical notes on circumcision :
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2758451/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2503425/

(12-01-2011 09:24 PM)athnostic Wrote:  I don't know how tasteful this is, but as a girl (insert whisper) circumcision is a good thing. I'm sure it doesn't feel so good though, so I can't really have an opinion that matters. I'm not sure I could have done it if I'd had sons.

If you like it so much there's female circumcision <- this is dark humor , the procedure is horrible.