cjlr goes to New Zealand

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2016, 06:53 PM
RE: cjlr goes to New Zealand
(03-06-2016 08:50 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Not that I successfully managed to visit any American forum acquaintances when I was in their neighbourhoods.

Dodgy Tongue

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
03-06-2016, 07:10 PM
I drove all over North and South Island a few years ago in a rented RV, had a ball.

Highly recommend the town of Queensland on South Island and the drive from there to Mt. Cook National Park, spectacular scenery. Take the sightseeing boat into Milford Sound, wow!

Auckland is pretty enough, there is the small town of Warkworth north of Auckland where artisans make some beautiful pottery.

Overall driving around the countryside was enjoyable, reminiscent of 1950’s USA.

Have fun.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
03-06-2016, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2016 07:43 PM by Stevil.)
(03-06-2016 08:50 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Anyone else been there? Any experiences, good and bad? Recommendations? Et cetera? I'll only be on the North Island; we're starting in Auckland and meandering our way down to Wellington.
It would be a shame going to NZ and missing out on the South Island as that is the picturesque part of the country. From Wellington you catch the ferry across to Picton (top of South Island), from there you can drive to Abel Tasman National Park, if you stayed the night there you could do some walks and exploration. I have on briefly visited Abel Tasman one and regret not having the time to explore there.

If you did get to go further south (which it seems you won't be able to, then Milford Sounds and Queenstown are fun places to go.
When I went to Queenstown I enjoyed Coronet Peak and just Queenstown in general is beautiful.

On the North Island there is Bay of islands which is quite a distance north of Auckland, but it is probably more of a summer time thing to do. You can always visit Waiheke Island perhaps go to the Waitakere ranges, maybe the coromandal which is South East of Auckland. A highlight of Coramandel is Cathedral cove, which is a bush walk ending in a beach
Or there is Rotorua, which stinks of rotten eggs, but has gysers and boiling mud and the polynesian spas
There is also Rainbow Springs at Rotorua and the luge is some fun.

In Wellington you have Te Papa which is the museum. It's worth a visit to the top of Mt Victoria and you can visit Weta Workshop.

Coming from Canada you're probably used to beautiful landscapes.

(03-06-2016 08:50 AM)cjlr Wrote:  stevil (who doesn't like me)
Correct, but that doesn't stop me promoting NZ, I think you are a douche bag during arguments but as long as we aren't arguing I could probably stand talking to you.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
04-06-2016, 09:58 AM
So I live in Hamilton which is about an hour and a half out of Auckland.
Don't come to Hamilton. Avoid this city like the plague. It's a cesspool of filth and shit and is where good things like rainbows and dreams and lollipops go to die.
If anyone ever says to you "just go through Hamilton" or "go to Hamilton" or something like that tell them to promptly go fuck themselves.

Quote:and Earmuffs (who is... Earmuffs).

What the fuck's that suppose to mean? Devilishly handsome, highly charismatic, the intellectual capacity rivaled only by Hawkings himself and a sexual aurora so strong I can walk into a yoga class and flood the room (think about it, you'll get it eventually)? OH and of course, great hair.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
04-06-2016, 11:49 AM
(04-06-2016 09:58 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So I live in Hamilton which is about an hour and a half out of Auckland.
Don't come to Hamilton. Avoid this city like the plague. It's a cesspool of filth and shit and is where good things like rainbows and dreams and lollipops go to die.
If anyone ever says to you "just go through Hamilton" or "go to Hamilton" or something like that tell them to promptly go fuck themselves.

Quote:and Earmuffs (who is... Earmuffs).

What the fuck's that suppose to mean? Devilishly handsome, highly charismatic, the intellectual capacity rivaled only by Hawkings himself and a sexual aurora so strong I can walk into a yoga class and flood the room (think about it, you'll get it eventually)? OH and of course, great hair.

If I were ever to make a trip to NZ...you would be first on my list of tourist attractions Muffsy. I have to see that hair in person. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
04-06-2016, 12:42 PM
(03-06-2016 08:50 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Anyone else been there? Any experiences, good and bad? Recommendations? Et cetera? I'll only be on the North Island; we're starting in Auckland and meandering our way down to Wellington.

I spent 2 weeks in Wellington, NZ for business in February of 1998. It's been so long I doubt anything I recall will be of much use but two things to keep in mind:

1. If you are going in the summer, it's the winter there. Make sure you pack for the season you are going to, not the one you are leaving. I know that sounds like "duh!" but you'd be surprised. I've been to that part of the world more than once (went to Australia too) and people lose track of that.

2. It's a long fucking flight. I mean it's a seriously long fucking flight. Like, really fucking long. You may want to get some drugs to help you sleep on the plane because, again, it's a really long fucking flight.

That's all I've got that is probably relevant. But, NZ is beautiful. And, I've been all over the world and Kiwis - with some notable exceptions [cough] Muffs [/cough] - are some of the nicest people on the planet. You should have a great time.

But, it's a long fucking flight. I mean, seriously long. Painfully long. You'll want to jump out of the airplane long. That's how long it is.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
04-06-2016, 01:48 PM
I hear they have the most beautiful rivers to go swimming in.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-06-2016, 03:17 PM
(04-06-2016 09:58 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  and is where good things like rainbows and dreams and lollipops go to die.
That's a lie, rainbows, and dreams and lollipops have never been to Hamilton, not even in nearing death, not even suicidal rainbows dare breach the Hamilton borders.

But jokes aside, Hamilton has a decent nightlife if you are into scoring university students, the Hamilton Gardens are ok if you are into plants and flowers and stuff.
That's all I have to say about Hamilton.
04-06-2016, 03:27 PM
(04-06-2016 12:42 PM)BnW Wrote:  2. It's a long fucking flight. I mean it's a seriously long fucking flight. Like, really fucking long. You may want to get some drugs to help you sleep on the plane because, again, it's a really long fucking flight.
When I went from Auckland to Milan it took me 31 hours. I started at 7 pm after a day of work, didn't sleep the whole time, there were a few stop overs, had to spend 3 hours in Frankfurt airport which has the worst travel lounge, just pretzels and nuts, big disappointment after having fantastic curries and noodles at the Singapore travel lounge. Anyways US to NZ would be a walk in the park compared to that.
04-06-2016, 06:25 PM
My return trip took 42 hours. I had a 7 hour layover in Sydney because our corporate travel agent sucked.

Normally from New York it's around 27 hours all in. But, with all the stops on that flight it just took forever.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost