cjlr goes to New Zealand

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2016, 07:46 PM
RE: cjlr goes to New Zealand
(04-06-2016 09:58 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  a sexual aurora so strong I can walk into a yoga class and flood the room

Does it look anything like this?

[Image: fin_aurora.jpg]

Wink

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
04-06-2016, 11:49 PM
(04-06-2016 06:25 PM)BnW Wrote:  My return trip took 42 hours. I had a 7 hour layover in Sydney because our corporate travel agent sucked.

Normally from New York it's around 27 hours all in. But, with all the stops on that flight it just took forever.
That's horrendous.

In Singapore, if you have a spare hour, you can hand in your passport and they take you on a quick bus tour of the country.

But shit, if your stuck in an airport for 7 hours, what the hell do you do with yourself?
05-06-2016, 05:45 PM
It really sucked. We didn't realize it until we got to Sydney. Had we realized, we would have arranged for a visa in advance so we could leave the airport but we didn't think of it. As for what do you do, I bought a t-shirt. It was the single nicest t-shirt they sold in the Sydney airport. And, I know that because I went into every single store and looked at every single shirt. I wore that shirt for years, until it pretty much disintegrated.

The other thing I should mention is it still wouldn't have been 42 hours except we had to make an emergency landing in the flight from LA to New York. We put down in Vegas (only time I've ever been there). That cost us a few hours. But for that, it would have been something like 35 hours end-to-end.

It was a long fucking day. And, when I got home I smelled. Bad. I had been married for like 3 months at that point and I got into bed at like 4 AM and I heard my new wife go sniff sniff followed by "you're going to take a shower, right?". Not "welcome home". Just "you're going to take a shower?".

Brutal. When I found out just over a year later I had to go back to Australia, I almost cried.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
05-06-2016, 08:14 PM
(04-06-2016 11:49 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 06:25 PM)BnW Wrote:  My return trip took 42 hours. I had a 7 hour layover in Sydney because our corporate travel agent sucked.

Normally from New York it's around 27 hours all in. But, with all the stops on that flight it just took forever.
That's horrendous.

In Singapore, if you have a spare hour, you can hand in your passport and they take you on a quick bus tour of the country.

But shit, if your stuck in an airport for 7 hours, what the hell do you do with yourself?

Besides drink? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-06-2016, 06:19 AM
It's been close to twenty years so I don't recall all the details, but I'm pretty sure I didn't have a single drink in that airport. We left early in the morning and back then I didn't drink before 5 local time.

I'm older, wiser, and drunker now, though.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
06-06-2016, 12:48 PM
(04-06-2016 09:58 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So I live in Hamilton which is about an hour and a half out of Auckland.
Don't come to Hamilton. Avoid this city like the plague. It's a cesspool of filth and shit and is where good things like rainbows and dreams and lollipops go to die.
If anyone ever says to you "just go through Hamilton" or "go to Hamilton" or something like that tell them to promptly go fuck themselves.

Duly noted.

Which makes it... pretty much just like our Hamilton, actually.

(04-06-2016 09:58 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:and Earmuffs (who is... Earmuffs).

What the fuck's that suppose to mean? Devilishly handsome, highly charismatic, the intellectual capacity rivaled only by Hawkings himself and a sexual aurora so strong I can walk into a yoga class and flood the room (think about it, you'll get it eventually)? OH and of course, great hair.

Yes. That is exactly what I meant.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
06-06-2016, 12:54 PM
(04-06-2016 12:42 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 08:50 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Anyone else been there? Any experiences, good and bad? Recommendations? Et cetera? I'll only be on the North Island; we're starting in Auckland and meandering our way down to Wellington.

I spent 2 weeks in Wellington, NZ for business in February of 1998. It's been so long I doubt anything I recall will be of much use but two things to keep in mind:

1. If you are going in the summer, it's the winter there. Make sure you pack for the season you are going to, not the one you are leaving. I know that sounds like "duh!" but you'd be surprised. I've been to that part of the world more than once (went to Australia too) and people lose track of that.

It is in fact warmer in Auckland than here in Sudbury at this very moment. So there's that.

(04-06-2016 12:42 PM)BnW Wrote:  2. It's a long fucking flight. I mean it's a seriously long fucking flight. Like, really fucking long. You may want to get some drugs to help you sleep on the plane because, again, it's a really long fucking flight.

It's not that bad on a connection through Vancouver, and I've never had too much trouble catching some (admittedly desultory at times) sleep on transit.

As the OP implied it will be the longest I've been stuck on a plane, but then again, I've been stuck on buses nearly as long.
(thanks, Toronto traffic!)

06-06-2016, 01:00 PM
(05-06-2016 08:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 11:49 PM)Stevil Wrote:  That's horrendous.

Besides drink? Consider

The mystique of airport bars is that they are catering to the "what the fuck else am I supposed to do?" crowd.

06-06-2016, 01:09 PM
(03-06-2016 07:37 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 08:50 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Anyone else been there? Any experiences, good and bad? Recommendations? Et cetera? I'll only be on the North Island; we're starting in Auckland and meandering our way down to Wellington.
It would be a shame going to NZ and missing out on the South Island as that is the picturesque part of the country. From Wellington you catch the ferry across to Picton (top of South Island), from there you can drive to Abel Tasman National Park, if you stayed the night there you could do some walks and exploration. I have on briefly visited Abel Tasman one and regret not having the time to explore there.

If you did get to go further south (which it seems you won't be able to, then Milford Sounds and Queenstown are fun places to go.
When I went to Queenstown I enjoyed Coronet Peak and just Queenstown in general is beautiful.

We perhaps could have covered more area, but that seemed to be pushing the scheduling too tight to be all that enjoyable. Didn't seem shy of things to do and see nonetheless!

(03-06-2016 07:37 PM)Stevil Wrote:  On the North Island there is Bay of islands which is quite a distance north of Auckland, but it is probably more of a summer time thing to do. You can always visit Waiheke Island perhaps go to the Waitakere ranges, maybe the coromandal which is South East of Auckland. A highlight of Coramandel is Cathedral cove, which is a bush walk ending in a beach
Or there is Rotorua, which stinks of rotten eggs, but has gysers and boiling mud and the polynesian spas
There is also Rainbow Springs at Rotorua and the luge is some fun.

In Wellington you have Te Papa which is the museum. It's worth a visit to the top of Mt Victoria and you can visit Weta Workshop.

We've a couple day trips out of Auckland in mind, before heading to Wellington through Taupo and Napier.

I do appreciate the thought and suggestions.

(03-06-2016 07:37 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Coming from Canada you're probably used to beautiful landscapes.

Perhaps, although this part of it is the exact opposite of the alpine and tectonic features dominating New Zealand.

(03-06-2016 07:37 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 08:50 AM)cjlr Wrote:  stevil (who doesn't like me)
Correct, but that doesn't stop me promoting NZ, I think you are a douche bag during arguments but as long as we aren't arguing I could probably stand talking to you.

Oh, dear me, no; I could scarcely dream of forcing you to endure such a stressful situation.

06-06-2016, 03:54 PM
(06-06-2016 12:54 PM)cjlr Wrote:  It is in fact warmer in Auckland than here in Sudbury at this very moment. So there's that.

Sudbury? You mean Looks-Like-the-Backside-of-the-Moon Sudbury? That Sudbury?

(03-06-2016 03:37 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  

Bah! I've got him singing "Proud Mary."

And then there's:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk