cjlr goes to New Zealand

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2016, 01:01 PM
RE: cjlr goes to New Zealand
Back in Canada.
(well, okay - as of a week ago, but I'm also very lazy)

New Zealand is a pretty cool place. But also, it kinda just felt a lot like home. I guess that's how the Anglosphere rolls, right?

Auckland is neat - albeit terrible to drive in. Bit like a smaller Toronto (and it's even got a baby tower!). Many fine beers were drunk by all. Places like Taupo and Napier we passed through made me want to spend a little more time there, although def not in high tourist season. I gather fall/winter is quieter, for all that it's mostly just wet and not actually cold anywhere on the North Island.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2016, 01:01 PM
(06-06-2016 03:54 PM)jabeady Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 12:54 PM)cjlr Wrote:  It is in fact warmer in Auckland than here in Sudbury at this very moment. So there's that.

Sudbury? You mean Looks-Like-the-Backside-of-the-Moon Sudbury? That Sudbury?

To be fair, there are trees again.

01-07-2016, 01:03 PM
(03-06-2016 03:38 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 03:31 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Those films are a crime against classic literature.

Actually they're a fascinating way to see Jackson go through the same New Hollywood curve of failure someone like George Lucas did, only slightly faster.

Never read the books, might have enjoyed them when I was a huge fan of middle earth as a kid.

I'm not sure I want to know how you could be a huge fan of middle earth without reading the books...
01-07-2016, 01:16 PM
(01-07-2016 01:03 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 03:38 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Never read the books, might have enjoyed them when I was a huge fan of middle earth as a kid.

I'm not sure I want to know how you could be a huge fan of middle earth without reading the books...

He's young enough to have only the movies as a reference point.

First one did come out fifteen years ago, after all.

01-07-2016, 07:20 PM
(01-07-2016 01:01 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Back in Canada.
(well, okay - as of a week ago, but I'm also very lazy)

New Zealand is a pretty cool place. But also, it kinda just felt a lot like home. I guess that's how the Anglosphere rolls, right?

Auckland is neat - albeit terrible to drive in. Bit like a smaller Toronto (and it's even got a baby tower!). Many fine beers were drunk by all. Places like Taupo and Napier we passed through made me want to spend a little more time there, although def not in high tourist season. I gather fall/winter is quieter, for all that it's mostly just wet and not actually cold anywhere on the North Island.

Regarding the rain, you did come at a shit time. And it does get a lot colder, it's been a rather warm winter actually.

Did you go further south then Taupo/Napier?
Oh and did you drive through Hamilton and/or Rotarua?