cjlr goes to Texas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2016, 10:11 AM
RE: cjlr goes to Texas
(07-01-2016 07:31 PM)DerFish Wrote:  How's your espanol?

Terrible.

I only really noticed that when I overheard some or there were bilingual PA announcements somewhere. The occasional word is close enough to French that I was utterly thrown off - plus, having always lived in Canada, it's been hardwired since childhood that "any second language = always French". Which is even still trueish in New England, and used to be in upstate New York years ago even if it isn't anymore.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2016, 10:17 AM
(07-01-2016 07:32 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Oh, I do have some questions. Big Grin

What is something you saw or experienced in Texas that you did not expect?

Also, what did you see or experience here that was totally stereotypical of what you imagined Texas or Texans might be like? Big Grin

Seeing footage of the snowstorm in west Texas was surprising; I don't really think of there being much in the way of winter there. Even though abstractly I know it's high altitude continental, and just south of Colorado, for that matter. Except that was still hundreds of kilometres from where we were. Still, as a general 'Texan' stereotype...

The state troopers posted around the Capitol with their cowboy hats and their ARs were pretty darn Texan.
(the guards up here at Parliament and Queen's Park at least have the decency to keep out of direct sight!)

Seeing what a big deal the water features were in Austin and San Antonio was interesting, if not surprising. Since around northern Ontario you basically can't even throw a rock without skipping it into a lake.

11-01-2016, 05:17 PM
(11-01-2016 10:17 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(07-01-2016 07:32 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Oh, I do have some questions. Big Grin

What is something you saw or experienced in Texas that you did not expect?

Also, what did you see or experience here that was totally stereotypical of what you imagined Texas or Texans might be like? Big Grin

Seeing footage of the snowstorm in west Texas was surprising; I don't really think of there being much in the way of winter there. Even though abstractly I know it's high altitude continental, and just south of Colorado, for that matter. Except that was still hundreds of kilometres from where we were. Still, as a general 'Texan' stereotype...

The state troopers posted around the Capitol with their cowboy hats and their ARs were pretty darn Texan.
(the guards up here at Parliament and Queen's Park at least have the decency to keep out of direct sight!)

Seeing what a big deal the water features were in Austin and San Antonio was interesting, if not surprising. Since around northern Ontario you basically can't even throw a rock without skipping it into a lake.

These guys?

[Image: texas-ranger-firepowah.jpg]

Them's Texas Capitol Police.

There aren't actually any state troopers; there are Texas Rangers.

[Image: Texas-Rangers-1898-photo.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
11-01-2016, 06:27 PM
(11-01-2016 05:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 10:17 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Seeing footage of the snowstorm in west Texas was surprising; I don't really think of there being much in the way of winter there. Even though abstractly I know it's high altitude continental, and just south of Colorado, for that matter. Except that was still hundreds of kilometres from where we were. Still, as a general 'Texan' stereotype...

These guys?

We do have state troopers here. But we do also have Texas Rangers. Yes

11-01-2016, 06:31 PM
(11-01-2016 06:27 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 05:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  These guys?

Ah, yes. I was forgetting the Highway Patrol. The Texas State Police were disbanded in 1873.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-01-2016, 06:31 PM
(11-01-2016 06:27 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 05:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  These guys?

And we got MS-13 here. Cage match in the Octagon?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-01-2016, 11:34 PM
Tell them to stay out of Colorado! Just kidding. We love you big loud Texans here. Just let us get our earplugs in before you start talking.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
12-01-2016, 10:31 AM
(11-01-2016 10:17 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Seeing footage of the snowstorm in west Texas was surprising; I don't really think of there being much in the way of winter there. Even though abstractly I know it's high altitude continental, and just south of Colorado, for that matter. Except that was still hundreds of kilometres from where we were. Still, as a general 'Texan' stereotype...

These guys?

I'm aware; it was a gloss. They are law enforcement employed by Texas, one way or the other.
(and yes, I am entirely aware that that sort of gloss or imprecision is something I find amusing to point out in others, so there's that)

12-01-2016, 12:53 PM

These guys?

Why do these pussies carry guns? I remember an old documentary on a Texas Ranger named Walker and he only used his fists.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post