cjlr's Psychedelic Odyssey

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-05-2013, 11:12 AM
cjlr's Psychedelic Odyssey
... because the 60s didn't just happen in the UK and USA!

I am a lover of that late 60s, early 70s sound, and one of my favourite things is seeing how that sound travelled to different parts of the world. In this thread I will (from time to time - let's say every few days) post some cool songs (well - I think they're cool). Give 'em a listen. Or don't, I'm not the boss of you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
26-05-2013, 11:13 AM
RE: cjlr's Psychedelic Odyssey
Our first stop is in Indonesia, where underground scene kicked off under the (delightfully and not-at-all-ominously named) Transition to the New Order, which replaced the semi-corrupt, semi-dictatorial Sukarno with the all-corrupt, all-dictatorial Suharto. The Indonesians busted out some kick ass music for the first few years of the new order, but within a few years most of the edgier stuff was forcibly shut down, and by the late 70s it was cruddy pop music as far as the eye could see (or the ear could hear).

This particular song is from the Gang of Harry Roesli. Because the title (and lyrics) were in English, it managed to get by the censors, who a) didn't know much English themselves, and b) knew that most of the potential audience didn't either.

Without further ado:

Dem keyboards, man.
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
29-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Yeah. Technically the song's called Anti Ganja, but I don't think they were ever fooling anyone. Also check out the fine fashion sense.

You gotta love English so mangled you can sometimes barely tell it's English. Also the album cover is the underwear-clad band members riding a SPACE WHALE and fighting a HAND SCORPION. Righteous.

Stay tuned, folks. Next stop: Malaysia!
30-05-2013, 01:22 PM
So, Malaysia, across the straits... I'd bring up Singapore, they had their own scene, but it's one I know a little less about (though, the Quests are probably the biggest mid-60s act there).

Anyway. Ethnic nationalism was on the up and up, and after... 1974, if I recall correctly, all the foreigners were kicked out of the country (particuarly, in our case, the Englishmen who were helping set up the music industry). Most of the locals stuck around, but they weren't allowed to sing in English anymore for quite some time.

Why not open things up with some surf guitar, courtesty of the Fabulous Falcons:

Those guys did some heavier stuff, too. Fuzz guitar train ride. Aaaaaw yeah.

Next let's tune into some pitch perfect psych pop, courtesy of the Strollers. Not to be confused with the Swedish band of the same name. Or several American bands of the same name.

The best cuts on that album ("Fire" and "Please don't let me down") I couldn't even find it on youtube.
30-05-2013, 01:30 PM
So... anyone else a fan of this kind of thing? Let me know! Post something! Anything!

I, uh, suppose we could do this as an echo chamber of my own awesome tastes, but where's the fun in that?
30-05-2013, 05:16 PM
(30-05-2013 01:30 PM)cjlr Wrote:  So... anyone else a fan of this kind of thing? Let me know! Post something! Anything!

I, uh, suppose we could do this as an echo chamber of my own awesome tastes, but where's the fun in that?

I like 50s/60s stuff even Gospel music. Have you heard Elvis sing In the Garden?

Also old country and western..... Hank Williams et al.

Like the Singing Wilberries, in particular Its Alright its O.K.

tAKE CARE!

"Lean,keen, and so serene"~~~
02-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Now, friends - I was going to go more or less geographically (up through Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam first) but forget that. Straight to SK.

Let's meet Shin Jung-hyeon (신중현). South Korea's finest - one of the world's finest - guitar players and all around music men. You know the story - started out as a kid working dingy bars and army bases, heard his first electric record in the mid 60s, and went on to produce amazing music for the next four decades (and he's still alive, though now retired).

It's easy to forget South Korea was a corrupt dictatorship at the time; in fact, for much of the 50s and 60s is was considerably poorer than the North (which was where pre-war development had been focused). Park Chung-hee (the dictator in question) managed to kickstart economic growth in the 70s (before he was assassinated in 1979), which eventually made it the awesome, democratic country we all know and love today. They couldn't be as "anti-western" as a lot of similar places, though - not when the country depended on western militaries for its existence! But that's not to say Shin got away with too much. The first song - link just below, natch - was written after Park demanded a patriotic song (about himself!). Shin instead wrote one about the natural country (아름다운 강산 [Ahreumdaun GangSan] - variously translated as, 'Beautiful Rivers and Mountains', 'Beautiful Korea') - ie, no mention of politics or individuals. Then he was harassed by police for a few years, then arrested of spurious charges, then banned from performing publicly until Park died and it was rescinded.

The man could play anything; he was also a pretty good songwriter. He often collaborated with female vocalists, so there are a few albums of perfectly nice soft pop (if you're interested look for the albums with Kim Jung-mi [김정미]) with his name on them. But that's not what we're after here. No, we want the good stuff. Deranged keyboards and ecstatic fuzz guitars, and the pounding drone of a heavy bassline. So, here are two ace tracks from the best album he ever recorded (with his band - Shin Jung-hyeon and the guys/men). It is fucking amazing. No lie. This is one of the greatest psych albums ever put to vinyl.

Right. Beautiful Korea:

The Lady in the Mist (안개속의 여인):

02-06-2013, 11:09 AM
I have to say, totally not my scene. But I love what you're doing. Putting out music from all over the world that 99.9% of everyone I know would never even thought to have existed....I think it's a cool idea. Keep it up! Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
02-06-2013, 11:27 AM
(02-06-2013 11:09 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I have to say, totally not my scene.
Sad

(02-06-2013 11:09 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  But I love what you're doing. Putting out music from all over the world that 99.9% of everyone I know would never even thought to have existed....I think it's a cool idea. Keep it up! Thumbsup

Thanks!
03-06-2013, 07:23 AM
Volatile politics, scant imported records (and scant record machines!), barely-there recording tech... And some flash kids with big ideas. You know the drill.

Rock on, Nigeria.

Rock on.