Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
28-06-2013, 10:58 PM
RE: cjlr's Psychedelic Odyssey
(28-06-2013 02:47 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Turkey
Vietnam
India

The more non-Western-sounding, the better. Smile

Your wish (and sole vote) is my command.

If you want non-western, I can give you several hours of backwater Ethiopian chanting. Psychedelia is by its nature kinda Western, no? Big Grin

Turkey - I've got a lot of great stuff in the offing. How Western you'll think it is depends on how Western you'd call Turkey itself (a rather, er, tendentious topic). But of course, the Turks did invent all of modern percussion (where else could a company named Zildjian come from?).

Vietnam - the unfortunate Southeast Asian tendency to shitty ballads looms again. The hard rock was very underground at the time, and hence almost none of it is left (like Cambodia was, but worse!). But I can pull up a few things...

India?

I present the following entirely without context.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2013, 03:17 PM
(28-06-2013 10:58 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(28-06-2013 02:47 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Turkey
Vietnam
India

The more non-Western-sounding, the better. Smile

Your wish (and sole vote) is my command.

Why thank you, sir! Smile

Quote:If you want non-western, I can give you several hours of backwater Ethiopian chanting. Psychedelia is by its nature kinda Western, no? Big Grin

Well, yeah, but I liked the Cambodian stuff you posted the best. And as you pointed out, the singing was pretty odd by Western standards.

Quote:I present the following entirely without context.

My favorite part was the vocal section beginning half-way in.

When I was in SE Asia in the mid-60s, I picked up a few 45 EPs in Malaysia and Indonesia I bet you'd like, even though I'm not sure they'd count as psychedelic. Haven't listened to them in ages, since I no longer have a player.

[Image: photo-73_zps098851d6.jpg]

[Image: photo-72_zpse562a91a.jpg]

[Image: photo-70_zps6a1b8a2b.jpg]

(1 and 2 are Malaysian, 3 Indonesian.)

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
30-06-2013, 11:07 PM

Happy Canada Day, motherfuckers.

Get some Guess Who all up in here.

Which... might actually be obscure, depending on where you're from...

Gaze in wonder at the gorgeous set design.

01-07-2013, 09:27 AM
So anyway. Time for a CanCon fix.

I have to start with more Guess Who. I just do. Their first single was a cover of Shakin All Over. It was signed Guess Who, naturally, so there were a bunch of crazy rumours about who it really was.

So, now let's get into the (slightly) more obscure (none of this is really that obscure, but it might be for non-Canadians). Man Made. A group from Montreal who made a single self-titled album (the cover of which creeps me the fuck out, let me tell you). The A side is one nice prog track; the B side is a mix of styles. So here's this:

Here are some good old Sudbury boys. Well, the album was recorded down in Toronto, where they spent most of their days. They recorded a couple singles as Tote Family before changing their name to Sea Dog. I think they only had the one full (self-titled) album. Mostly straight rock, kinda bluesy. A couple of tracks have a more psychedelic bent - but of course, NOT ON YOUTUBE Angry Sad.
Settle for this - it's still a solid track:

Here's a little something that's pure psychedelic, though. It's like hippie distillate. Thunder Bay's Jarvis Street Revue:

And... Mashmakhan? I guess? Montreal boys. Solid couple records; some number one hits in Canada, dunno if anyone else's ever heard them.

Ooh! Sussex! Bunch a crazy hippies from the Annex.

Thundermug! Thundermug is such a great band name. They're from London.

What else we got... A Foot in Cold Water?

Guess I should be a little more geographically fair (not that I've ever been able to find anything from the East coast from the era). Though, Toronto and Montreal (as above) were the only two real cities at the time. But the Guess Who, perhaps the most famous Canadian band of the time, are from Winnipeg. I know a couple groups from Calgary (NOT ON YOUTUBE). There's the Stacattos (later Five Man Electrical Band), they're from Ottawa (not that anyone's ever heard anything but the single track Signs from them).

Anyway: the Collectors. Vancouver. Later became Chilliwack (and are pretty well known as such up here).

But no. Time for some Lighthouse (Toronto again!). They're the ones the above-mentioned Flower Travellin' Band spent time with when they were in Canada. Lighthouse are fuckin sweet. My dad met them a few times. A friend of his got into hock with the mob after borrowing the money to host a concert Lighthouse ended up headlining.

I have this actual physical album and it makes me no end of happy.

So, that's some Canada for you. 'Cause it's Canada Day. Take us home, Guess Who!

And OH GOD I CAN'T HELP MYSELF

05-07-2013, 10:14 AM
So we've passed from Indonesia through to Japan and Korea. That great arc is covered (inconsistently and inadequately, to be sure, but I'm only one man!). Where to next? Why, the next closest place we haven't stopped in, of course.

India!

Where to start with India?

Simla Beat!

The recording industry was... well, wonky might be the best word. Anyway. Unlike points further east (or west, as we'll see later), it's not like Western influence and imports were banned, just uncommon - most of the country was still the Darkness back then. But, if you want to take stock of the level of shit going down in India, consider that the 1971 elections were rather fraudulent, the war in Bangaldesh went hot, India detonated a nuclear bomb, and mounting unrest culminated in Indira Ghandi's Emergency in 1975, a two-year suspension of the constitution and civil liberties...

The best (only?) compilation of the psychedelic groups of the era is Simla Beat. These were the winners of the Simla Cigarette Company's India-wide music competition (yeah - go figure). Mostly originals, mostly instrumentals. But there's always this:

Everybody loves hazy, deranged covers, right?
Or...

I can find literally nothing about the people and groups featured on the album. Oh well. Actually that's a lie. The only thing I ever learned about the last song there is in the freakin youtube comments.

But despite the awesomeness there engrooved (and the noticeably atrocious recording quality...), it's hard to overstate how underground it was. Most people got their music from Bollywood. And when it comes to Bollywood, there is one name that really stands out. Kalyanji Anandji. Who's that, you might ask. Actually it's who are they. Kalyanji Virji Shah and Anandji Virji Shah, brothers from Gujarat. They started out way back in around 1960...

The greatest soundtrack? The aforementioned Dharmatma. Dharmatma is a fine movie on its own. An adaptation of The Godfather (which is, y'know, the direct translation of Dharmatma). Gorgeously shot on location in Afghanistan. Even the gratuitous musical numbers (it is Bollywood!) are decent. It's got those almost-falsetto female vocals that'll keep cufflink happy...

Now, that's as good as Bollywood singles get, but I can't in good conscience call it psychedelic. But, oh, friends. Gather round, friends.

FANTASTIC.

Incidentally, it was only one of the two all-time great Bollywood films to come out that year (1975). The other, of course, is Sholay. Sholay is awesome. It too has a great soundtrack - R D Burman wrote it, the other great Bollywood composer of the 1970s ( - but, wouldn't you know it, the best stuff is incidental, and not even on the soundtrack album... But even what is'll remind you that the rhythm and style of north Indian music were incredibly important in developic the psychedelic sound in the first place. Now, the traces of Ennio Morricone in this particular one are not coincidental, since Sholay is very inspired by the classic Westerns...

Like I said, all the great bits of music from the film aren't actually available.

Um - that's that post done. I might come up with a little more before the Odyssey's next stop (probably Turkey).

... this is my signature!
09-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Now - the one thing I left out of the last post is Hare Rama Hare Krishna. No, silly, not the Vaishnava mantra, the film! The 1971, er, "classic".

This film is fucking jokes. It's like if Reefer Madness was made in 1970s India. It's priceless. It's about how the westernized hippies are decadent fools and will ruin your life. DUM MARO DUM (that's Hindi for hit! take a hit! if you're curious). First half's the gold. Second half's the "oh Gods, what is my girl doing to herself" lament (okay, so it's actually more like "why do you blaspheme Rama?", but whatever).

Naturally, in a movie about how awful hippies and drugs are, the song that is pure drugged-out hippie is the bit everyone remembers.

09-07-2013, 09:33 PM
So, I popped over after getting shamed. Pfft, your thread isn't like the one I made at all. You've mislead me you sneak. Cool thread though, too bad my bandwidth would shit itself if I dared listening to this at the moment. Perhaps next time I'm in a public place. BTW is any of this in English? It's the only language I speak fluently. The only Asiatic language I have any familiarity with at all is Korean, and that's mostly from hearing Korean pop songs blasted out of a buddies shitty car speakers.

10-07-2013, 09:02 AM
(09-07-2013 09:33 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  So, I popped over after getting shamed. Pfft, your thread isn't like the one I made at all. You've mislead me you sneak. Cool thread though, too bad my bandwidth would shit itself if I dared listening to this at the moment. Perhaps next time I'm in a public place. BTW is any of this in English? It's the only language I speak fluently. The only Asiatic language I have any familiarity with at all is Korean, and that's mostly from hearing Korean pop songs blasted out of a buddies shitty car speakers.

Whaa? This stuff is all exactly the kind of music you were asking about. You wouldn't know 'cause you didn't listen to it Angry Big Grin. Some of it's more novelty than anything but some of it is totally among the best I've ever heard.

About half of it's in English.

That reminds me, I should totally post a few more Korean things. I posted his masterpiece but Shin Jung Hyeon has a lot more where that came from.

10-07-2013, 02:08 PM
(10-07-2013 09:02 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Whaa? This stuff is all exactly the kind of music you were asking about. You wouldn't know 'cause you didn't listen to it Angry Big Grin.

Sadcryface

14-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Gather round once more, friends. We are bound for the crossroad of the continents and the Mother of Cities. Konstantiniyye on the Golden Horn; Istanbul.

You ought to know by now the societal drill that was running. Well; the 1960 coup was precipitated by the government's consideration of a more neutral Cold War stance. Obviously unacceptable. That settled US missiles were based in Turkey - and removed after the Cuban affair. And that left a lot of people plugged in and wanting change faster than it was coming; it had a lot of others damn sure there'd been too much change already. So as the 60s ground on there were left-wing militias and paramilitaries, assassinations, bombings, kidnappings, and more; there were right-wing and Islamist militias and paramilitaries, assassinations, bombings, kidnappings, and more. Old 'Stanbul itself was exploding in size; the Greeks and Armenians were leaving, to be replaced by Arabs and Kurds.

Well - but it's late right now, and I'm nothing if not a lazy man. So this is not the full post (maybe in the next couple of days).

Suffice to say they made a lot of very, very awesome music. Here's some wailing arabesque vocals laid over a sublime little baseline for you.