cjlr's Psychedelic Odyssey

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-09-2013, 10:30 PM
RE: cjlr's Psychedelic Odyssey
Wouldn't be right to let this thread drop off the page.

Brasil!

So, Brasil was a revolving door of dictators and military strongmen for most of the 20th century. There was a military coup in 1964 (to, uh, "stop" the "communists"), and by 1968 they'd given up all pretense of being merely transitional or temporary. But don't worry, they mostly stumbled their way into democracy come the 90s.

Right! Music!

Now, the most famous act is probably Os Mutantes; that's growing out of the Tropicalia scene (and check that album too; bread and circuses!).

But we're doing Apokalypsis instead. This time. The recordings are from concerts in 1974 and 1975; not quite official, but not quite bootlegs...

I give you, from the 1975 recordings - Andrômeda:

and estrada [highway]:

Another classic track is of course liberdade [freedom]; there are two versions floating around youtube but of course my favourite is a third version I can't seem to find anywhere else (or even, indeed, where I got it from in the first place Consider )...
Anyway. Liberdade!

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Aight, boys and girls. I let her languish for a stretch. Gotta remedy that.

'member like a hundred years ago when I posted that rounder on Nigeria? Well, we're going back. The sort of jazzy dancehall genre is called Highlife, if you're interested. Here we skew a little fuzzier.

Ofege! I posted Whizzy Ilabo the first time out. Ofege, now; these were some boys who met at school in the posh end of Lagos, back in the late 60s. Superfluous lyrics. Goddamn righteous lines. Whizzy Ilabo is track 2 from the 1973 Ofege album Try and Love. What else is on that album, you ask? Well - track 1 is called Nobody Fails.

Track 4 is It's Not Easy. Dat guitar.

Who else? I had a couple Hygrades tracks there last time. They're always good. In the Jungle. Rough Rider. Both awesome. Make it a trilogy with Somebody Gonna Lose or Win:

Hygrades were Goddy Oku's baby, out of Igboland.

There's the Hykkers. I can find basically nothing about them. Dig on this.

Ofege again for the home stretch. Gbe Mi Lo is track 3 from the aforementioned album. Rock on, boys. Rock on.

I'm normally pretty good with translations in this feature, but the internet is really letting me down when it comes to Igbo-to-English. Damnit, Internet! Stop being racist!

10-09-2013, 10:06 PM
DAMN but this thread is an echo chamber.

Here's the aforementioned Os Mutantes.
On TV in France:

And then there's this:

Ah! And this:

16-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Fellow travellers. To the cradle with us! The primordial country, to whose bourne no traveller may return.

That's right, mes amis, we're off to our ancestral home in the Ethiopian highlands. Here we see a flourishing in the last years of Selassie. Live-cut single-mic jams from the region's finest. It's a jazz and blues and funk feel, farther from the psychedelic strains; but then, one might find a great gratification in simplicity, to - as it would be as stretch to say, but I say anyway - the roots of things...

Here's the Wallias band:

The Sensation band:

A favourite of mine; ain't gonna be burned by no damn girl again... Girma Bèyènè has a voice like honey to starving ears.

Mahmoud Ahmed knows how to lead one hell of blues groove. Tizita (or tezeta) is a word for a genre; it's Amharic for memory or nostalgia - so, uh, y'know. Blues. The wailing, breathy saxophone playing is a), RIGHTEOUS, and b), inspired by a shrill sort of war cry, from the bad old days...

The communists in 1974 put a right stop to THAT nonsense, you can be sure!

16-09-2013, 09:31 PM
I know it's my name in the thread title, but, all y'all are allowed to post in this adventure too, y'know.

IT'S SO LONELY IN HERE.

26-09-2013, 09:53 PM
El Tarro de Mostaza. The mustard jar. Formerly El Sonido [the sound]. Formed by some Mexican hippies in the late '60s; the (eponymous) album was cut in '70 or '71 (hard info's a... little hard to come by).

Mexico during the era was a totally-not-a-dictatorship-you-guys one party dictatorship. The postwar boom hit there too, but naturally things were tight between the past and the future. Hundreds of protesting students were shot in cold blood in the Tlatelolco Massacre, just two weeks before the '68 Summer Olympics. The economy would tank come the '70s and the country would trundle into the lost decade, but that's getting ahead of ourselves. Seething underclasses and blossoming repression; and some tight music. You might recognize this summary as befitting every country in the world at the time - or at least every one in this thread!

Droning psych organ, a little soft guitar, nonsense lyrics... Enjoy the trip.

18-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Egad, this's been a awhile.

Now, where were we?

The lost city of Zapata's revolution. But no, not really. Pérdida in Mexican slang (and Guadalajara, where these boys are from) has a slightly different meaning. Shit city.

El Amor.

Course, it's Mexico, home of some rich old-school brass traditions. Let's mix in some of that to get 39.4:

The Spiders

Today's voyage rounds off with El Ritual (I, uh, hope you don't need a translation on that). IT'S A CONSPIRACY.

But I'd be remiss not to mention, on the topic of Mexican rock, the Mexican Woodstock - Avandaro. So look that up. Or don't.

18-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Lonely threads make cjlr a sad physicist.

19-10-2013, 11:42 PM
There are not very many Icelandic psychedelic bands.

But of course there are some. Iceland might be small (~200,000 people, in the 60s/70s) but that's the size of plenty of cities who managed to throw up a band or two.

So the most famous is for sure Trúbrot. Here's this:

Those being cuts from the 1970 album Undir Áhrifum, recorded over in Denmark.

20-10-2013, 08:42 PM
So you know what's great?

60s yakuza films.

The song is 'I love you' (from 1:30-6:00!). The film is 'kill the dragon' (the final installment in a series of gangster movies). The year is 1969. The band are Yuya Uchida's Flowers, with Remi Asou singing.