cjlr's Psychedelic Odyssey

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-12-2013, 11:27 PM
RE: cjlr's Psychedelic Odyssey
While we're in Africa...

A good old fashioned weights-on-the-organ-keys style fuzz jam!

Jaunt on up to Zambia with me, and we'll tune into the Witch. (original acronym: We Intend To Cause Havoc) Five charming young men who recorded the very first modern album in Zambia (though there were singles before that). The year was 1972, and the album was Introduction (whence the above Home Town, as well).

A bluesy drift under a sharp guitar. Dogshit fidelity and tragically limited original runs (in the hundreds of albums), but eh; we take what we can get on this Odyssey.

The follow up was 1975's Lazy Bones!! (with both exclamation marks, mind!). Another rousing success.

Stay psych, friends.

(also would it kill someone else to post in here Tongue )

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
14-12-2013, 01:27 AM
Yeah. When I get lazy I post Japan.

Speed, Glue, and Shinki. (obliquely referred to previously).

Rock on, brothers and sisters. Rock on.

09-01-2014, 05:07 PM
I'M BACK, BABY.

Have we been to France yet? Yes. I'm recalling a little Planete Sauvage earlier. Anyway, now we're back. So, Mme Taïeb, there. Quite a girl. Tunisian-French. Dabbled in some fine pop music in the late 60s, without a huge amount of success. Very much a shame!

Anyway, for those philistines who can't speak French, she recorded an English version:

The French crawled out of dragging colonial shithole wars by the early 60s - handing off the Indochina situation to the US, which worked out ever so well. And the boom years really got going (les trente glorieuses). And yet [insert cut-and-past job about rising tides of social reform breaking over conservative levees here], and the decade closed with mass protests and the final retirement of de Gaulle. Also Jean-Pierre Melville was making some of the best late noir films ever. So look that up, if you like.

The French call their proto-psych and beat pop yé-yé. And they didn't really get beyond that, so we've not got any true psych or fuzz to drift into this time. I guess they had plenty to import from the UK and Germany. Which we can't get into here, as I declared the UK off-limits to the Odyssey back at the beginning, and honestly I've just never cared too much for German psych and prog. Oh well.

But where to begin? Notwithstanding that I already posted a song? French Motown, I guess. And that means Ria Bartok. The way to sum up later early 60s.

But also, no discussion of the French 60s would be complete without Françoise Hardy. So here's this: voilà; a melancholy little song about the unrequited ennui of a missed opportunity.

Also who couldn't love les Surfs, brothers and sisters originally from Madagascar...

Oh, but there is the guitar in this (if I drank less) so far as fuzz goes:

But that's cheating, because Douglas is Belgian. Ah, close enough.

And sitar! Can't go wrong with sitars!

And to return to that favourite of mine, we can tune in once more to the fabulous Jacqueline Taïeb:

Restez chics, amis et amies.

12-01-2014, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2014 05:12 PM by cjlr.)
Uh oh. Egads. A bunch of the videos I posted earlier have been taken down. DAMN. And it's been quite some time, so I can't just go back and edit the posts.

So, some of this nonsense is proving next to impossible to find anywhere else. Double damn. Well, here's some of them.

Malaysia's Fabulous Falcons, with Midnight Express:

From my Canadian roundup,
The Guess Who - Shakin All Over:

Sea Dog - Ain't No Use:

My boys ザ ゴールデン カップス, with I can't Keep from Crying:

That bollywood classic, Dum Maro Dum:

07-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Bumpity bump.

13-02-2014, 10:50 PM
This damn thread. Such a bandwidth killer.

So, I hit all the easy targets. What next? Dare I ask for audience participation again? I mean, that didn't exactly get me flooded with responses last time...

Well, but here's a few things. Like all good stories, this one should wind and wend whence we began in due course.

Thus: AKA! The boys from the Surabaya. Named for their practice space in the bandleader's parents' business, a pharmacy... From '72's Sky Rider, the title track.

And from later on down the track listing - Groovy:

And to round out a trio of selections, Skip Away (I say again dem keyboards, son):

Or - Ariesta Birawa. The album cover to the eponymous 1973 release illustrates beautifully that fashion knows no borders. So here's the lead track, Si Ompong [toothless]:

Inexplicably the whole album isn't on Youtube, only some tracks, so I can't play the third cut Minggu Pagi [sunday morning] for you. Or track 10, Terimalah Cintaku [accept my love]. Knowing they are tight must suffice, unless you track them down yourselves. I can't do all the legwork, here. I have a day job.

I would go from A to Z, but I have no groups on my mind right now whose names start with Z. Thus! We must go from A to Y. And here are the Yap Brothers (and His Orchestra, as the album proudly and ungrammatically declares). They were west Javans, a group never too popular with the Authorities... But they cut one fierce album, all right.
First - Cita-Cita:

And I know what you're thinking. That's good and all. But it's just not doing it for me. It needs... cowbell. MORE cowbell. Well? Mawar Merah is the song for you, my dear imaginary conversational partner. It is the song for you:

(but the horn flourishes are tight too)

Stay frosty out there, fellow travellers.

11-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Well, now. Can't let this go too long without a shameless bump contribution.

Since we were talking about Socrates elsewhere today, here's Socrates, the early-70s Greek band. First, a pair of tracks from 1973's On the Wings:

And from a 1971 concert - Electric Socrates:

26-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Soooooooooooo.....

Back to this bad boy. Let us visit the far shores of Argentina. Why not.
(hi nach!)

There are two bands I will tell you about today - Almendra [almond] and Espiritu [spirit].

Argentina was in the midst of a loooong run of bad luck. The last good times had been before the Depression, and the most recent fun was the coup of 66. By 69/70 things were sliding into outright chaos. More coups and fighting followed and a seriously nasty junta proceeded to spend the rest of the decade disappearing their enemies, and also anyone who happened to be standing too close to their enemies. Then they decided attacking the UK was a good idea. But enough of that.

Almendra was formed by some disaffected young men in 1968 Buenos Aires (Sgt Pepper's had just landed - coincidence? hell no). By 1970 they had split up, leaving a never-finished rock opera behind. They found the time for two albums and a few singles. All of which are considered the foundational texts of modern Argentine rock (or so I'm told).

Like what, you say? Like Mestizo and Parvas, from 1970's Almendra II:

Like Color Humano, the extended jam from 1969's eponymous album.

Which brings us to Espiritu. If Almendra are the Beatles, Espiritu are Yes. Kind of. Whatever.

The roots go back to 1969 (when the first members teamed up), but the lineup was only crystallised in 1973 when they cut their first single. Their first album is 1975's Crisalida. It is solid. The following year's Libre y Natural continues in the same vein. The former has a kind of hippie-optimism to it, but the second is rather cynical. We can probably chalk that up to the ongoing breakdown of civil society at the time. Now, this is a little late to be prime psych, and veers more into prog, but it's my thread and I'll post what I please.

Crisalida - whence Sueños Blancos, Ideas Negras [white dreams, black ideas]:

Also Eterna Evidencia:

From the follow-up - Imagenes Tenues y Transparentes [faint transparent images]:

27-03-2014, 06:15 AM
You want Korean, I got Korean!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OPWjNX4PBlI

Recently suffered loss of intelligence. Had little to begin with! I should not miss it.
27-03-2014, 07:25 PM
(27-03-2014 06:15 AM)Banjo Wrote:  You want Korean...

Posts #7, #32, and #33.
Cool

(27-03-2014 06:15 AM)Banjo Wrote:  ... I got Korean!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OPWjNX4PBlI

2 million views? Clearly not hipster enough.

Sleepy

Except actually, that video is a mid-70s number, and though I'm far too lazy to figure out who else is in it the drummer is DEF Kyeon Kwon-Sun. Who incidentally is already featured in this very thread, playing in Shin Jung-Hyeon's first band Add-4.
(see the first video in post #33)