cjlr's Psychedelic Odyssey

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-03-2014, 10:01 PM
RE: cjlr's Psychedelic Odyssey
I posted him because it is funny and also he is from that band. Smile

I read it in Huff post.

Recently suffered loss of intelligence. Had little to begin with! I should not miss it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2014, 10:16 PM
Time for the ol' bump.

So... Fumanzoku? That's Fumanzoku as 不満族 for the group (the disaffected, more or less) and Fumanzoku as 不満足 for the album title (dissatisfied). Yes - it's a foreign pun. How delightful. This was recorded in 1974, and I can find out little beyond the names of the people involved.

There were two sides to this album. Like all albums. But this time there were really two sides - split between the folkier A side and the fuzzier B side. Guitar-focused throughout, but very different mixing.

So! Let's spin up A5 - 悲しみの果てに [kanashimi no hate ni], the end of sorrow. And because this is the only cut on youtube, we'll head right into B3 after it - 六月のユートピア [rokugatsu no utopia], June utopia.

(today's fun bonus fact: June is literally "month six"; when the Japanese switched to the Gregorian calendar they decided to go prosaic - unlike us, where we never changed the Latin order, and call months 9-12 by the numbers 7-10)

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
19-04-2014, 10:01 PM
So.

Fellow travellers. Where've we not been?

One possible answer to that question is Norway.

To that end, I hereby introduce you to two of Norway's leading psych-rock bands: Ruphus and Prudence.

So, Prudence. Formed in 1969. The original bass player lost some fingers in an accident before they found success. So it goes. The title is straight from the Beatles, by the way. So, most of their stuff was in English. They're at the flutey end of the psychedelic spectrum. But very tight, musically. The original run lasted through three albums in the first half of the 70s.

The first track I wanted to play for you was Going Through This Life from 1972's Tomorrow May Be Vanished album. But I can't find that. I can find this - Mild Grey Fog, from the same album.

Also, there's this - Small Things in Life, A side of a 1971 single:

On we go. Ruphus were formed in 1970 by some boys in Oslo. They had their biggest successes in West Germany - a much bigger audience than the home market!

The debut album is New Born Day, from 1973. So let's start there! With the extremely sublime pairing of the tracks New Born Day and Day After Tomorrow:

(my favourite part might be the layered vocals at the end of the latter)

Now, after that was cut they took a turn towards prog, which is no bad thing, judging by results, but on the edge of this thread's self-imposed remit. The lineup started fluctuating in 1976 and they called it a day in 1978.

22-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Fucking youtube. Some of this shit is available literally nowhere else>. Well; there's always re-ups.

Pinky and the Killers.
涙の季節 [season of tears].
恋の季節 [season of love].

18-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Wow, you blink your eyes and four whole weeks go by.

Howsabout some Morse Code?
(when I get lazy I post Japanese stuff, as it's what I have the most of; when I get real lazy I post Canadian stuff)

Funky-fresh Quebecois outfit; mid-70s vintage. A debut album (Morse Code Transmission) in 1971, followed by later works though the decade. The opener was a little more open and sung in English; more was in French as time went by.

So!

We'll start with 1975's La marche des hommes. And why not begin within that album with it's same-named opening track?

La marche des hommes. Écoutez bien, chers amis.

To follow - qu'est-ce que t'as compris [what've you understood]?

Let's head back to the debut. Souvenirs of our days and It's never easy to do; the first two tracks.

And... hmm. 1976's Procréation album? And the opening track, handily title Précréation?

Fun bonus fact: a great uncle of mine was an honest-to-god morse code telegraph operator.

24-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Fucking bullshit how much of this stuff gets hit with takedowns.

'Cause I'm totally sure obscure old international albums that aren't even commercially available need to be theoretically protected.

Okay, fine, so it's mostly the channels taken down, but still

14-07-2014, 03:27 PM
All right, boys and girls. Time for 四人囃子 [yonin bayashi - a fancy way to say "quartet"].

Formed in 1971 (but some of them had played together since 1969), they started with Pink Floyd covers. Their first album only came in 1974 (触即発 - [isshoku sokuhatsu, literally "touch and go"), with a follow-up in 1976 (ゴールデン・ピクニックス, golden picnic), after which point their style begins to leave our remit.

So let's begin with お祭り [omatsuri, festival], the third track on the first album.

And of course, the next track (eponymous):

Stay frosty.

14-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Oh, but while I'm at it: today's bonus entry, courtesy of Carmen Maki & Oz. I give you 崩壊の前日 [hokai no zenjitsu - the day before the fall]:

16-07-2014, 11:26 AM
To make up for the longish drought earlier, here's something else.

Back to Mexico this time (because I'm clearly just skipping around randomly now).

Let's listen to some Medusa. A hard rock trio who first got together in 1972 and recorded a few EPs in their time, plus the full self-titled album in 1973. Here are a pair of longer tracks from that album; both are a mix of guitar and what I can only call very 70s keyboards. The interesting bits are the transitions between the hard and soft sections.

So first - Nieztche's shadow (la sombra de Nieztche).

And second - night (noche). Which opens with some random bird chirping that would make Jon Anderson proud and closes with church bells.

15-08-2014, 08:44 PM
But I love what you're doing.......