classification of genre by country wtf???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2016, 04:18 PM
classification of genre by country wtf???
why do we even classify genres like anime/jrpgs by country of origin.... to me that misses the point of why we use genres. a genre to me is a classification of what needs it takes care of and story style. It just seems like that a western person can write an anime just like they can make a jrpg but that's just my opinion. I kind of look at it as there isn't J-comedies and Western comedies. why have such classifications. been an otaku since age five... ty for your time.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2016, 05:00 PM
RE: classification of genre by country wtf???
Goes back to Art and other fields, maybe individualism in thought would say it's not legit but movements and measures follow periods of eras in influence.

The Dutch Golden Age period of art was a sophisticated era.
[Image: mill.jpg]
And as you may know, only the Dutch were let to have trade with the Tokugawa Edo control period of Japan. During that, the famous artist Hokusai begins creating.
[Image: 1024px-Hokusai_1760-1849_Ocean_waves.jpg]
Then his work gets spread back to Europe and influences European Impressionism.
[Image: 1024px-Claude_Monet%2C_Impression%2C_soleil_levant.jpg]
Bam, now we have the periods of France, then it goes to Van Gogh in hs post-impressionism back to Dutch influence with Hokusai and French Monet like art influence all combined.

I guess this crazy art metaphor/example is sure it becomes mixed to where anyone can piece it off, but it started in region by like influenced people then spreads and picks up other influences.

Genres are not "in time" classifed often. In the new internet driven world we do it quicker now like Moobas or arena shooter genre naming. Note, JRPG didn't come about until the 2000s around 2004-5ish. Why? Because more public awareness was of made of RPGs being able to be made onto consoles (the main popular platform) and public awareness to promote them had to designated these as WRPGs or Computer-Rpgs totally different from JRPGS. Games like Morrowind, Knights of the Old Republic, etc. Games on XBOX really caused it. It's a historical period of difference.

There is a difference it doesn't mean a western game cant be a JRPG, it's just to point out historical context, in its proper use at least. What early RPG computer games were like ultima/Wizardry and came to be in the baulders gate/fallout vain, were different from the early influenced offshoots Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy cloned to be. The DQ creator was intentionally making a Console RPG

Are Console RPG and Computer RPG better monikers, probably to describe the 80s, 90s, early aughts, but that doesn't even work anymore and it didn't at time the terms were being popular to distinguish FFs from KotOR.

(maybe i'm contradicting my whole terms come later a bit, but oh they do, Noir is another fine example of that. When did NOIR movies really begin or what is it, some say it has to be American made by a European director... since thats how it began, crazy influence of countries being used)

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
29-07-2016, 05:46 PM
RE: classification of genre by country wtf???
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Souls

that's my counter argument.. dark souls.... a Western rpg made by namco a Japanese company.

so if the french guy can paint what the Japanese guy could and do an his art stylistically the same.. then whats the point of classifying things by country.... an anime can be written in america... that's the way i see... now i am open to seeing ting from a different point of view but I don't see what classifying thew country adds when anyone can do the exact same thing in another country. now you may have an argument that back then it mattered but not now.. Rwby for example is an anime but made by rooster teeth... also why do we do these genres. I mean there is no J comedies.... or J horror. so I really don't see it.Tongue

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.