coexist sticker pisses me off.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2013, 06:21 AM
coexist sticker pisses me off.
I don't think of myself as ever being a 'believer'... I was raised in a home that was pretty much atheist, although we never really discussed it. It was a non topic. I tried religion on for awhile, but I don't think it ever really stuck. I learned about nature and the circle of life. Everything was explained as 'that's just the way nature works'

After my Dad's death in December, while making plans for his funeral, we (my siblings) and I easily used the 'atheist' label. I think that might have been 2-3rd time in my life that I had actually thought about that word. I had never really thought much about it before that. I'm 45!! In the past 5 months I've been doing a lot of thinking about how I was raised, what I think now, the things I want my kids to know, etc and have quickly gone from a "we don't go to church" (because in NC its social suicide to say you are a non-believer), to agnostic, to atheist, and now I'm looking into what the other labels mean....skeptic, humanist, and more. I think that part might take awhile because I'm having difficulty in figuring out how all those labels differ from each other.

But mostly I find myself pissed off recently. Maybe its because I'm paying more attention to things I used to ignore? Maybe its because I live in NC and our legislature has taken a giant nosedive into the christian koolaid swimming pool? Or does this new mindset have stages?

The coexist bumper sticker used to bring a happy thought to me-that everyone can get along. And now I see it and I'm mad-- because I see some of those symbols and I know they aren't peaceful, or kind, and they are trying to take over, and how that religion is really fucked up. And its making me bitchy....something I try not to be.

wtf is going on?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
20-05-2013, 06:50 AM
RE: coexist sticker pisses me off.
I cant imagine what it must be like living somewhere where religion dictates so much of your life. I kind of think that if I was in a situation like that I would say "I have my own personal relationship with god and I don't wish to discuss it thanks" to get people off my back and allow them to think what they want without giving them a "yes...no" answer. Which is sad.

I had to google the co-exist bumper sticker and I have seen them around before. Its a nice thought but obviously an impossible task given the beliefs are so different when broken down.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
20-05-2013, 07:11 AM
I looked into the "Coexist" bumper sticker a couple months ago. I don't recall seeing anything regarding atheism specifically in any of the symbols; They are all religious. (If I'm wrong, then disregard.)

But shouldn't atheism be represented as well? If people truly want to coexist peacefully and keep open minds, they'd include non-believers too.

I also understand what you mean about noticing things now more than you used to. I haven't believed in anything for about a decade, but I never called myself an atheist until a short time ago. It's also why people close to me would ask why I care so much now when I never even talked about it before; They were confused that I was questioning.

I think that there ARE kinds of "stages" when we begin to openly admit to being and embrace atheism. Stuff that we once kept inside, but was there for quite sometime just building steam, is now overboiling; We have these pent up feelings of frustration and I don't know about YOU but I feel alienated and that's why I get annoyed.

I consider myself more positive than most closest to me, but it's hard to see the happy, "can't we all just get along?" message when we don't see most religious people as understanding of other's difference in beliefs.

LET IT OUT; THE FACT THAT THIS PISSES YOU OFF ISN'T HURTING ANYONE. You have the right to express your opinion Smile

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
20-05-2013, 07:11 AM
What I want to know about that sticker... where is the atom symbol? Or the humanist logo? Or the Darwin fish? Or the FSM?

It's funny how how the "ideologies" represented are the major, main stream ones.
It's like the designers wanted to instill "peace" and "community" by using those, but didn't want to rock the boat by including ones that are opposed to all the religions shown on the sticker.

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes LostLocke's post
20-05-2013, 07:30 AM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2013 05:00 PM by Full Circle.)
Hey B&A,

Go to this site http://www.EvolveFISH.com/fish/emblems.html and scroll down a bit and you'll see a car sticker that uses the same symbols as COEXIST except it spells out TOXIC! Plus alot of other cool emblems. Don't get mad, get even!

A few days ago I saw a Christian bummer sticker I had not seen before, it was written as an equation:

1 cross
+3 nails
_______
=4 given

Weeping

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
20-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Yep, I hear ya. I pretty much grew up similarly; belief was a non-issue and I think that mind frame left me free to explore various legends, beliefs, cultures, and religions. Which I have done quite happily for many years.

One can study a subject quite deeply and find understanding and even provide reason for certain aspects of it, without ever becoming involved in it's rationale. There is a huge difference between something being an interest and something being a belief and even though that difference might be a very fine blury line, it is there.

In the past 30 years, mainly beginning with the Reagan administration, the US has amped up the push to conformity and has politicized religion. Non-believers and free thinkers have little ground to stand on, less social freedom to explore, have endured maliciously slanderous attacks, and this behavior seems to be accepted as the new normal. Free thinkers are pushed to this extreme and quite naturally take up the backlash.

One can remain at the edges and simply observe or organize and go the extremely outspoken, militant route. I think any involvement might happen in stages; how deep one gets is a personal choice. I have found that with a few steps in any direction, it's easier to see where that will lead if it's countered with a step back for contemplation. It kind of slows things down for everyone... not everyone around me is use to thinking before acting. Dodgy

Oddly enough, I've found my simple way of life has become something of interest and there would be some out there who seem to categorize it as a belief. Who knew that freedom could warrant such acrimony?

We live in an interesting time and place; I'd like to use the word "revolution" but capitalizing it usually doesn't come until it's written in a book somewhere... authored by many others... or one. Give yourself time.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
20-05-2013, 09:15 AM
(20-05-2013 06:21 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  wtf is going on?

Life experiences is going on. As we age, we gather life experiences up and categorize them. Some are good, some are bad, some are fun, some innocuous, etc.

At 45 and having raised kids, you've gathered enough evidence against religion to be confident in saying it's bad for society. After all, it's one thing to read in a book that gods are fake and it's quite another to experience the harm religion actually causes. Or more accurately, the harm that religious people cause.

Time is our most valuable teacher. Trouble is, it kills all its students. Shocking

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
20-05-2013, 09:31 AM
I sure understand what you mean about disliking the "coexist" message. As a Humanist seller of these stickers I too have a real problem with the dishonesty of the message. These guys don't co-exist. They hate and kill each other at every opportunity. But there are a few facts about the "Co-exist Meme" that make it a little easier for me to stomach.
I have stood beside a display rack showing these stickers and heard one cross wearing woman say to another,
" Oh look. Coexist !!. It's that a great message. It says that we can all get along." And then she added, "just like christians do.", showing her naivete and myopia. But she caught the message of getting along. She recognized it, valued it, and BOUGHT it and hopefully is now displaying it on her car.
There is also the reality that some big name Southern Baptists preachers have devoted sermons to denouncing the idea of Coexist. "We don't want to Co-exist with them," they preach, " We want to crush them! We want to remake them in the image of our lord Jesus Christ." Sure, many of his followers jump on the band wagon and want to organize sticker burning parties. But that soft xtian lady who was wearing the cross, and who is now showing a Co-Exist necklace over the top of her new Church Dress, she might miss the message of the sermon. Or she might get MAD.
Like the U.S. Bill of Rights, Co-exist promises WAY more than it delivers. But over 200 years, that old Bill of Rights has served as a foundation for the dignity and freedom that it now delivers. Maybe the Co-exist meme will be a part of remaking a kinder, gentler world.

They also have been evolving. Check out the lineage at

http://www.evolvefish.com/office/sc/prod...st+sticker
[+] 1 user Likes Marimint's post
20-05-2013, 09:34 AM
(20-05-2013 07:11 AM)Peanut Wrote:  I looked into the "Coexist" bumper sticker a couple months ago. I don't recall seeing anything regarding atheism specifically in any of the symbols; They are all religious. (If I'm wrong, then disregard.)

But shouldn't atheism be represented as well? If people truly want to coexist peacefully and keep open minds, they'd include non-believers too.

I also understand what you mean about noticing things now more than you used to. I haven't believed in anything for about a decade, but I never called myself an atheist until a short time ago. It's also why people close to me would ask why I care so much now when I never even talked about it before; They were confused that I was questioning.

I think that there ARE kinds of "stages" when we begin to openly admit to being and embrace atheism. Stuff that we once kept inside, but was there for quite sometime just building steam, is now overboiling; We have these pent up feelings of frustration and I don't know about YOU but I feel alienated and that's why I get annoyed.

I consider myself more positive than most closest to me, but it's hard to see the happy, "can't we all just get along?" message when we don't see most religious people as understanding of other's difference in beliefs.

LET IT OUT; THE FACT THAT THIS PISSES YOU OFF ISN'T HURTING ANYONE. You have the right to express your opinion Smile

Lol...there's no "A" in Coexist.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-05-2013, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2013 09:48 AM by slydog.)
They also have an acceptance sticker. It has the atheist atom in it.

I don't like the word and the connotations behind it though, like I have to accept what some of these religions are doing to other people.

EvolveFish also has a fiction sticker. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes slydog's post