common seance vs fact and reason

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2013, 06:38 AM
common seance vs fact and reason
basically I did not get one wink of sleep last night. about midnight I through youtube onto a little show called bullshit by pen and teller and watched I don't know a hindered or so episodes and the one thing that got me wasn't the bullshit people believe. it was there ability to through ether common since or so called proven facts out there as if they where proven or realistic. the fact is they didn't do the studying and they thought they where experts in the field. heck some of them are counted as so. so i got two quetsions on this plus another paragraph to write.

1. how can someone literally think something is a proven fact without research.
2. the other is how can common seance{something we all live are lives by be so wrong.}

and now for that other paragraph. the thing is early this morning I found out that hypnosis was a bunch of bull by the same show and no it didn't blow my mind. the thing wads UI was kind of relying on it to solve a little lack of ability to experience a fantasy. no what am i left with lol. wow I can''t believe I was dupt so well and by people i thought where accountable. well best I can say at least I didn't spend any money on it.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2013, 10:11 AM
RE: common seance vs fact and reason
Common sense doesn't really exist. it's subjective at best.
08-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Please edit that OP, I can't make sense of what you are trying to say. I'd like to respond, but I don't know what your question is.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
08-01-2013, 05:50 PM
1. how can someone literally think something is a proven fact without research. ffor example thinking there is a traditional family or
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]2. the other is how can common seance be so wrong[/font]

08-01-2013, 06:42 PM
1. Define fact - everyone seems to use that word differently. It's a fact that what goes up must come down. Or is it? Try out that fact in deep space. So what is a fact? For common usage, most people seem to think that a fact is anything that seems to always be correct. In that case, what goes up must come down is a fact. Do people have to research whether that's true? Do they have to test it? Is their own personal experience playing ball good enough to count as research? It's a fact that the sun will rise tomorrow. Well, I suppose it might not, but I'm generally willing to accept that as a fact without having to research it.

Everyone has their own level of skepticism. Mine happens to be quite high and evidently so is yours. Many people have very low levels, maybe even mostly nonexistent. I don't know if religion causes lower skepticism or if lower skepticism creates a vulnerability to religion. Maybe it's a vicious circle where religion and lack of skepticism feed off of each other, round and round she goes.

And still, there are some very skeptical but very religious people too - anomalies unaccounted for in this kludgey model.

One way or the other, clearly some people really feel a strong need to verify information before accepting it as fact and some don't, and the trend seems to suggest that there is a correlation between skepticism and atheism which implies that the converse is true, there should also be a correlation between lack of skepticism and theism.

2. Mainly because common sense is, ironically, uncommon.

Or more accurately, what we call "common sense" is an ability to just figure things out and be right without having much information on which to base that decision. I can go to meteorology school and learn to predict weather based on pressure systems, geographical formations, seasonal variations, etc. Or I can just look at the sky and let my common sense tell me whether it's going to rain today. If I'm good at that, people might say that I have lots of common sense. But the meteorologist might be even better but nobody credits him with common sense (for this) because he is using knowledge instead. One example of many.

So, truly, if you are using "common sense" you're usually not wrong, not if you're any good at it. People with "lots of common sense" are usually not wrong or we wouldn't describe them like that. People who get it wrong a lot we would say "don't have much common sense".

Which means your second question is fundamentally flawed. Sure, common sense can be wrong, but so can book learning. But people with common sense are rarely wrong. If you're asking specifically about religion, I would say those who accept faith as a matter of common sense don't have much common sense, while those who come to atheism from common sense rather than research may very well have good common sense.

Interesting side note - since there is no formal definition of what is and is not "good common sense", a religious person would look at my last example in exactly the opposite way with good common sense being the guy who accepts faith as a matter of common sense. That also means, culturally, that "good common sense" would be to accept faith since most of my culture (here in the U.S.) is religious.

So ultimately "good" common sense seems to be in the eye of the beholder.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
09-01-2013, 12:17 AM
(07-01-2013 06:38 AM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  basically I did not get one wink of sleep last night. about midnight I through youtube onto a little show called bullshit by pen and teller and watched I don't know a hindered or so episodes and the one thing that got me wasn't the bullshit people believe. it was there ability to through ether common since or so called proven facts out there as if they where proven or realistic. the fact is they didn't do the studying and they thought they where experts in the field. heck some of them are counted as so. so i got two quetsions on this plus another paragraph to write.

1. how can someone literally think something is a proven fact without research.
2. the other is how can common seance{something we all live are lives by be so wrong.}

and now for that other paragraph. the thing is early this morning I found out that hypnosis was a bunch of bull by the same show and no it didn't blow my mind. the thing wads UI was kind of relying on it to solve a little lack of ability to experience a fantasy. no what am i left with lol. wow I can''t believe I was dupt so well and by people i thought where accountable. well best I can say at least I didn't spend any money on it.
It's quite easy really, common sense states that if something is controversial and it goes against your beliefs than you should shut yourself out to it and put your fingers in your ear and yell LALALALALALAALALALALALALALALAAAAAA. That's common sense. However controversial subjects are often based on fact and reason. 9.11 being an inside job? based on facts and reason, the holocaust being pure propoganda bullshit? based on facts (scientific and medical) and reason. However. Then the government floods the media with true bullshit conspiracy theories to make these possibilities look bad. To make all possibilities look bad. Conspiracy theories which are based without evidence are mere possibilities or bullshit. Conspiracy theories with evidence are the ones you should look into.
09-01-2013, 12:16 PM
thanks guys