conversation with mom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2015, 11:48 AM
RE: conversation with mom
Christians don't want to come from monkeys, and I don't want to be the daughter of a genocidal maniac.

One of us is going to have to be let down, and it's going to be the side with no evidence.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
11-04-2015, 12:05 PM
(11-04-2015 11:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 11:28 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My friend refers to himself that he's a hairless bipedal monkey.

If he's wrong about that. I need to let him know. Tongue

He's wrong about that. Drinking Beverage

Sort of.

If you go back far enough, we do have common ancestors.

[Image: lossless-page1-500px-Primate_Tree.tiff.png]

I've always told him that it's impossible for him to consider himself hairless.

I hate it also when he's right on a technicality.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

11-04-2015, 12:17 PM
(11-04-2015 03:00 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Mom: I think if they are going to teach evolution they should teach the creation too.

Me: mom evolution is a science not religion.

Mom: we didn't come from monkeys.

Me: do u know what evolution is?

Mom: it still isn't right. Uvknow what I mean?

Me: no mom evolution is a science it doesn't matter what ur beliefs are u can't change the science behind it.

Mom: well its still not right

Me: head wall head wall.

Personally, I love the idea of putting creationism (meaning recent creationism, not some distant-past deistic creationism) side-by-side with evolution in a science class... so long as it's actually taught AS a science class, with principles of critical thinking, skeptical empiricism, and weighing theories based on evidence. It would be SUCH a perfect case study contrasting a good scientific theory and something that can't even count as a falsifiable hypothesis, and wonderful for late-high-schoolers to see the difference. (This, of course, would require all science teachers to not be scummy make-my-classroom-a-pulpit evangelizers, so it's probably not a good idea in practice. But I do like the idea of all the conservative fundamentalist Christians' heads exploding simultaneously.)

But yeah. Very much Frusty
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
11-04-2015, 12:30 PM
(11-04-2015 07:31 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I didn't come from apes...

I came from Kalamazoo.....

(no shit)..

Same difference. Girl_nails

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
11-04-2015, 12:44 PM
(11-04-2015 07:24 AM)cactus Wrote:  She's right, we didn't come from monkeys, we came from apes. Weren't we and our "ape-like ancestors" still technically classified as apes?

Creatards are still apes.

Sorry, but mom sounds like a first class shithead.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
11-04-2015, 12:49 PM
conversation with mom
My ancestors were Aliens. You might think this is a joke but I have a telepathic link with one of them that spans both space and time.
11-04-2015, 12:52 PM
(11-04-2015 11:48 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Christians don't want to come from monkeys, and I don't want to be the daughter of a genocidal maniac.

One of us is going to have to be let down, and it's going to be the side with no evidence.

You need to specify that the aforementioned genocidal maniac was fictional / imaginary.

It's entirely probable that you are a descendant of human genocidal maniac.

My money's on Genghis Khan.

Drinking Beverage

11-04-2015, 03:43 PM
I don't get people when they try to compare religion to science. Not even in the same ball park. Besides it doesn't matter what u believe science will always be true. U can believe u came from doesn't make it true.
11-04-2015, 08:21 PM
Ask her her what kinds of experiments you can do in creation class.

Ask her what medicines and vaccines can creation create ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
11-04-2015, 10:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2015 10:47 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(11-04-2015 08:18 AM)cactus Wrote:  I don't understand Aron's argument. Is he saying that apes are a subset of monkeys, because both modern apes and modern monkeys share a common monkey-like ancestor?

In a monophyletic hierarchy, you never outgrow your ancestry. As opposed to paraphyletic hierarchy, which would have our ancestors cease being monkeys as soon as they started being apes (but notice, they didn't cease being mammals or chordates).

Look at the chart Chas posted.

[Image: lossless-page1-500px-Primate_Tree.tiff.png]

If we (Hominids derived form Catarrhini) are not monkeys, then both the New World Monkeys and the Old World Monkeys became monkeys independently of one another, as that's the only way to exclude Hominids from also being monkeys. In essence, secluding hominids from being considered monkeys is an arbitrary distinction that ignores where hominids descended from.

AronRa argues that the Caterhini (basis for both Hominids and the Old World Monkeys) are monkeys, and thus the hominids are still monkeys in the way we are also still mammals, quadrupeds, and chordates.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]