conversion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2012, 08:21 AM
conversion
I joined this site about a month ago. At that point I was confident in my abilities as theist. However the community I found here was like nothing that I had expected.
After spending a few weeks surfing the forums I went dark. I spent a lot of time by myself in the dark thinking over what I believed and what I had learned on the forums. I spent weeks like this, deep in thought.

Eventually I had to make a choice, it was not hard. So now I am an atheist, but I'm lost. I have no real drive anymore. Converting was not a truly emotional moment, it was the result of long hours of careful thinking, debating over each of my beliefs.
Where can I find somethimg to believe in, my faith in humanity was shattered a few years ago, why, thats the reason I fully turned to God.

I do not know what to do, but any ideas you guys and girls have would be helpful.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Xinoftruden's post
31-07-2012, 08:32 AM
RE: conversion
First of all, 'congratulations' (for the lack of a better word) on your conversion. Second of all, why was your faith in humanity shattered a few years ago? It may be a good idea to look into that and analyze the reasons that cause you to think this way. Third of all, now that you are without a belief in god, do you still think that life has a purpose?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
31-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Xinoftruden, tell us a little more about yourself. How old are you, what's your home situation, how was your faith in humanity shattered a few years ago, what do you need to get from believing in something?
31-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Well since you're feeling down I'll share some of my baby with you Smile

I also used to worry a lot about meaning in my life etc. Still do sometimes. My answer is that *it's up to us to give life meaning*. And what that meaning is is also up to us. So find something you like doing and go for it Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
31-07-2012, 08:52 AM
(31-07-2012 08:32 AM)Vosur Wrote:  First of all, 'congratulations' (for the lack of a better word) on your conversion. Second of all, why was your faith in humanity shattered a few years ago? It may be a good idea to look into that and analyze your reasons for that decision. Third of all, now that you are without a belief in god, do you still think that life has a purpose?
Thanks for the congrats vosur.

My faith in humanity, hmm. It's a little delicate to explain. I'll try to capture the feelings. It's like being in a car accident that disables you permanently, being told that the other driver had been drunk and had numerous driving offenses and then have that same man be your brother. (not actual situation, but he is my brother)

That cauldron of emotions that would be evoked by that happened to me when I was seven. It was a game changer. I wont go into the after effect though.
As for seeing point in living. I do not really see a point in living, butmy family still holds me tight, I can't leave them.

(sorry for the drama, but you can tell how I'm feeling)

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

31-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Having faith is, I suppose, like being at home, warmly dressed, and having enough to eat.

As an atheist, you stand naked in the cold wind of reality, starving for knowledge.

The meaning of your life must come from within and from your relation to others.

There is beauty in understanding our universe, joy in finding out, happiness in loving and being loved. And there is more. Those work for me.

Those, and driving a BMW.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
31-07-2012, 09:36 AM
My home situation is almost perfect. The only major issue is my brother. However this makes me feel even worse for complaining. There are others who have gone through far worse than I have.
As for myself, I'm a bisexual, autistic (aspergers), atheist with suicidal tendencies to put it plainly. My family is completely supportive of me, but I have trouble with the Event(I have trouble talking about it).

I doubt I'll be able to believe again, all I need is a direction.

Also to go with my description apparently I'm a genius. I dont believe it,
but my teachers and family do. <-- I am very stubborn

31-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Hey, Xeno.

First and foremost, if you are having suicidal thoughts then you NEED to seek the help of a professional IMMEDIATELY. No joking around here. I'm very serious. Those thoughts are not you and you do not need to have them. A professional can help you move through and get over those thoughts. I don't want to use a term like "so you can lead a normal life" but no one should have to suffer the burden of suicidal thoughts. My hope is that you seek help, that it is effective and that you manage to shed those thoughts; or develop effective coping strategies at the minimum.

Secondly, know that any transition is a stressor. The first day at a new job, starting or ending a relationship, becoming rich, becoming poor, all of these are stressors. A fundamental shift in your world view is also a stressor. So it's normal that you are having stress reactions, like anxiety, to this situation. Perfectly normal. The fact that you are reaching out for help to navigate that anxiety instead of allowing it to overwhelm you to the point that you shut off is extremely healthy and, frankly, commendable. It takes a great deal of wherewithal to reach out. I would just like to recognise that accomplishment of yours.

Now, as for your original question, finding something to believe in. It's tricky. It is. But it's important. I'd like for you to watch the TED talk I've embedded below. It's by Martin Seligman. The basic premise is that the ways one can help a sad person become "normal" and the ways to help a "normal" person become happier are completely different. Positive psychology, the topic he discusses, is about making people happier. One of the things you'll see he discusses is the importance of committing your best strengths to something larger than yourself (the meaningful life). For you, for a long time, that was God. Now that that is gone, you're feeling the effect. Again, perfectly normal. But you can find other things (to use a banal example, when I quit smoking I couldn't imagine what life was without it, but I quickly adjusted. You might not see it now, but that doesn't mean you can't fill the void you're feeling as a result of the departure of God/Theism from your life). Trust that you can find something new and allow it to happen when you find it. You are clearly very self-aware as demonstrated by your time in deep thought, so you are at an advantage for what you now have to do. Rediscover what your best strengths are and find a way to apply them to something bigger than yourself. Know that it's all right that you don't know what that is right now. I hope that you enjoy the video and that you get something from it to help you in this difficult time.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 4 users Like Ghost's post
31-07-2012, 10:44 AM
I forgot to post my age 16.
Thx for the video matt it held a lot things for me to think about.
I have seen help for my tendencies. The pychologisg said that coming to see him had made them worse. He explained how it worked to me so I tread carefully in those waters, but I mess up a lot.
I might not reappear for a bit, but that could be days or minutes. (again forgive the drama I notice it, but it can't be helped)

[+] 1 user Likes Xinoftruden's post
31-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Take it easy dude.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post