corporal punishment of children in religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2013, 01:52 PM
corporal punishment of children in religion
So much of the reading I have been doing lately (Sam Harris, Darryl Ray, Daniel Dennett, Richard Dawkins, etc.) makes me go back to think about what Alice Miller and Philip Greven had written: the horrible lies and destructive nature involved in the religious teachings of corporal punishment for children--authoritarianism, strict and blind obedience, honoring your parents no matter how they treat you--based in the doctrine of original sin. That is one thing I haven't found much discussion on in most of the resources I have been exploring in the skeptical views of religion. A small percent of the authors mention it here and there, but not to the extent that it really is a serious, ongoing consequence of religious teaching! I am grateful to Miller and Greven for their work in identifying and exposing this horrid system of abuse for what it is. It appears to me, from my experience and for so many others I have known and worked with, that it is the biggest solidifying agent or tool in the indoctrination of children...on top of all the threats of hell and all of that...the final "blow" to silence critical thinking, reason, truth, etc, and that it brainwashes you into the pretend world of religion--filled with shame and fear. Realizing this for me was the beginning of my journey out of all that. Can anyone relate? Does anyone have any further resources I could look into in this area, as I am hoping to help others understand this?Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2013, 02:55 AM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2013 02:59 AM by Luminon.)
RE: corporal punishment of children in religion
Republican party of Texas supports many conservative authoritarian policies, including corporal punishment for students in schools and increased "parental rights" (control). The original document contains much bigotry against gays and lots of bias for clergy... you can imagine.

Your future school code:
Leaving out "under god" in the pledge - mild flogging (25 mJ)
Skipping a church service - serious flogging (90 mJ)
Refusing sports team prayers - intense flogging (165 mJ)
Admitting to atheism - severe flogging (300 mJ)

(mJ stands for miliJesus, based on Biblical pre-Calvary passages as a unit of punishment)

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
28-03-2013, 10:48 AM
RE: corporal punishment of children in religion
Whacky.

I had a friend who hit her child to make him behave. It didn't work. Then she gave permission for the school to do it too...

Then he was dx'd with autism and all above was still done...

That was when we stopped being close.

You can't fix stupid.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...