countdown with books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2011, 10:09 PM
countdown with books
Hi all,

We have decided to try something new this year and do a countdown to the new year but using books instead of chocolates, and counting down to the new year instead of christmas. This is for my two avid readers who read at the teenage level - they like science fiction, historical fiction, paranormal fiction, and so much more.

we need 62 books in total - so far have about 20

Any recommendations for tweens new to atheism?

thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2011, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 07:50 AM by Lilith Pride.)
RE: countdown with books
Have they read Orson Scott Card's, Ender's Game? There are three books in the series if they enjoy the first. Ishmael by Daniel Quinn is of course the most suggested book I would think. Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein. Illusions by Richard Bachman.

Most of my suggestions are imaginative looks at religion that help throw in some logic. Almost all of these books are ones I read while younger. I'll think of more of my favorites. I was never religious.

Maybe Watership Down by Richard Adams, it's another book of my childhood, good for animal lover's even though it's a bit gruesome. For me it was one of the more gruesome ones but I read it well before Ender's Game.

As a side note to Watership Down, there was a film made of it that was very graphic. It was one of those truly horrifying things to me as a 5 year old. The book is not as bad as the film.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
04-12-2011, 08:08 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 09:27 AM by Chas.)
(03-12-2011 10:09 PM)niqi Wrote:  Hi all,

We have decided to try something new this year and do a countdown to the new year but using books instead of chocolates, and counting down to the new year instead of christmas. This is for my two avid readers who read at the teenage level - they like science fiction, historical fiction, paranormal fiction, and so much more.

we need 62 books in total - so far have about 20

Any recommendations for tweens new to atheism?

thanks

The Magic of Reality, Richard Dawkins (I've gotten copies for my great nieces and nephews)

Also, do searches for "evolution" and "atheism" in Amazon under "Teen Books".

Some science fiction books with theological themes that I particularly liked :

A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller, Jr
The Star, Arthur C. Clarke
The Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula K. LeGuin
Riverworld, Philip Jose Farmer
Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert Heinlein
Behold the Man, Michael Moorcock

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-12-2011, 10:16 AM
(04-12-2011 07:36 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Have they read Orson Scott Card's, Ender's Game? There are three books in the series if they enjoy the first. Ishmael by Daniel Quinn is of course the most suggested book I would think. Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein. Illusions by Richard Bachman.

Maybe Watership Down by Richard Adams, it's another book of my childhood, good for animal lover's even though it's a bit gruesome. For me it was one of the more gruesome ones but I read it well before Ender's Game.

As a side note to Watership Down, there was a film made of it that was very graphic. It was one of those truly horrifying things to me as a 5 year old. The book is not as bad as the film.

Ender's Game is one of my favorite all-time ever books (and actually more than 3 books to the series...Card went back and added 3 or 4 more, I think). But Card is a Mormon, if you're looking for Atheist authors (no mention of religion that I remember).

Any of Isaac Asimov's fiction. Lots of Robot short stories, then the Robot Series and the Foundation series, which he later combined to create the history of the Galactic Empire through about 14 or more books.

Specifically Anti-religious Fantasy Books for teens: The Golden Compass series (I think it has a different name, but you'll find it).

(And I too was terrorized by the Watership Down movie as a 10 year old, so I never made it to the book).

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
04-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Man In The High Castle ~ Philip K Dick
It's probably one of the best books to illustrate that perception is up for grabs, and truth seems to be the one precious thing that no one wants anyone to find. An amazing book and I think I read somewhere that Dick considered it his masterpiece.
-I recommend it to any teen or adult who hasn't read it... theist or non-theist.

Sophie's World ~ Jostein Gaarder -Certainly a teen book -might be geared toward the young female but quite honest, and respectful look at seeking and finding one's own autonomy. Excellent intro to philosophy and critical thought for a teen.

I heard Dawkins has a book on myth for teens - might be that The Magic of Reality which Chas suggested.
Smile Oh -just pulled it up on google -yep- Looks like a good read!

A Really Short History of Nearly Everything ~ Bill Bryson (2008 Children's version of his 2003 book)
I loved the adult version A Short History of Nearly Everything and didn't even know he did a kid's version! You'd have to decide the reading level/maturity level of your kids, but I'd say either book would be a good read.
Honestly, just about anything by Bill Bryson. He's written about language, travel, science, history -all in a wonderfully descriptive, humorous, imaginative dialogue.

Heart Cosmos ~ Carl Sagan ~ Beautiful.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
04-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Probably already have them but....

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy Trilogy, you've got five books right there.
alternatively you can try his other incomplete series, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Or the Dirk Gently Omnibus which contains both books. It's unfinished though and it's sad when you get to the end of Dark Tea Time Of The Soul, only to find it end without an ending and know it's because he died. He being the late great Douglas Adams.

Also anything by Terry Gilliam or Neil Gaiman, or both at the same time. Not really atheistic but does it have to be? Kind of puts a damper on things, makes it almost like school that way. Besides if they already know about fiction and critical thinking they should be able to enjoy just about anything on it's most basic level without having to remind themselves it's just a story.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
04-12-2011, 12:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 12:49 PM by Peterkin.)
Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, of course. It's best to start in the early ones and follow chronology, because of stock characters who grow older and places to which history happens.

Tom Holt is fun.

The Golden Bough, or other overview of classical mythology.

The Adventures of Nanabush: Ojibway Indian Stories, compiled by Emerson Coatsworth

PS From Adams, i liked Shardik best, and Moorcock's Dancers at the End the Time is okay for young readers.

(62!! is a lot of reading)

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
04-12-2011, 12:43 PM
[u]" Ishmael by Daniel Quinn is of course the most suggested book I would think."

I asked if anyone knew the name of this book way back. Thank you for saving my brain from being too taxed. I read this book so long ago now, it was one of the first things I read that made me really examine the world around me. Plus it has a talking gorilla.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
04-12-2011, 01:22 PM
yes they have read Ender's game series - we even have one signed by O.S.Card

thank you for the suggestions - gonna see if our used book stores have any of these and will look when we travel to a larger city too.

gonna also put in an amazon order - Magic of Reality is top on that list for sure!
04-12-2011, 03:30 PM
(04-12-2011 11:31 AM)kim Wrote:  perception is up for grabs, and truth seems to be the one precious thing that no one wants anyone to find.

There's a line that needs to be underlined. Never read the book. Wink

I don't wanna hear no atheistic censorship going on, so I'm gonna spin 'em. Wink

This is what I remember: Summer of the Swans.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]