creationism/islam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2010, 09:27 PM
creationism/islam
This is something I'm going to say here to see the response.

Thunderfoot mentioned a while ago that if you take any anti-islamic argument and replace "Islam" with "Creationism" then you will see that all the people who called you a bigot before would suddenly agree with you and be ok with the argument.

This is something I tried on a forum heavily populated with religion debate threads. I chose two different sections and I wrote up an anti-islamic thread. Before I posted the thread I opened a new thread in the other section and copied the essay over where I went through and changed all Islamic reference and mention to Creationist reference and mention, then I posted both threads.

Within 15 seconds (far too little time for it to have been read at all btw) the Islam thread was flooded with spam and "you bigot" and "you nazi scum" and it just filled up 3 pages in less than 10 minutes of this stuff, which was being posted by respected forum members also, then the thread was closed and I was given an infraction for "Hate speech"

After another 2 minutes the first reply on the creationist thread came in. A logical and well though out counter argument, quickly followed by a few agreement posts. After an hour there was 2 pages of mainly logical debate and praise, I got 2 PMs from people telling me how good the argument was and 12 positive rep points.
Then a moderator got wind of the thing and locked that thread too, though didn't give me a warning or anything (maybe saw his own hypocrisy?)

So yeah, the result didn't really shock me as I've seen how people will troll and spam to defend Islam, but it did take away my hope for humanity's future...

THoughts? Examples?

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2010, 02:40 AM
RE: creationism/islam
Can you link the threads? Glad we have no moderators here, just bot-killers.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
24-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Unfortunately the threads were deleted shortly after being locked :\

I'd be glad to re-run the experiment on another forum though, and I'll write it on the screen to actually take screenshots and stuff next time, which is something I always forget and then facepalm myself a few minutes later.

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
24-09-2010, 07:41 AM

I have to admit ... this is an interesting experiment. Keep us posted.
Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2010, 10:38 AM
(24-09-2010 02:40 AM)Kikko Wrote:  Can you link the threads? Glad we have no moderators here, just bot-killers.

ARRRRG!! ME KILL BOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO

I completely agree. Moderators suck. They inevitably end up using the power given to them to force their own ideals on the forum. Even if I was to moderate, it would be in title only, since no matter how much I may disagree with someone, it's not my right to censor their ideas.

As for mods "warning" people for derailing threads, that's bullshit. Granted it kinda sucks when the origional discussion is lost, but hey, thats what conversation is right? I like it here, because once in a while when a conversation goes way off into left field, someone will just say so. (ok ok, I get it....I'm going off topic. Sorry. LOL)

So back on. I'm also interested to see where this experiment goes. I'm also just a little curious if the experiment had something to do with what was said on this forum?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
24-09-2010, 10:48 AM
(24-09-2010 10:38 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I completely agree. Moderators suck. They inevitably end up using the power given to them to force their own ideals on the forum.

I disagree. While that does happen on a lot of sites, it's far from being the only type of moderator out there. I myself have acted as moderator, as well as administrator, on several forums. All it takes to prevent the abuse of power is a well-thought-out, clear rule set and an admin willing to punish any moderator who steps out of line.

For example, one of my stints as moderator took place on DiscussTheParanormal (which has now closed, due to unforeseen server issues). I was the sole skeptic on the site, and I was promoted to moderator anyway. I split threads, banned trolls, and the like, and not a single member of the site ever complained about my moderator abilities. They sure as hell argued against me when I posted in other threads, but it was with the full understanding that they would not be disciplined for disagreeing with me. Not only was I not the kind of moderator who would do that, the admin kept a close eye on mods, and more than once banned mods who abused their powers (mainly in an attempt to silence me, ironically Tongue).

For another, more current example, check out the James Randi Educational Foundation forum. This is a massive site, with over a million hits per day and countless threads with countless posters. The mods don't abuse their powers. The rules are set out and are entirely clear. The punishment for derailing a thread is not a warning (unless you do it repeatedly and with trollish intent), but having the new discussion split off into a thread of its own. Members aren't disciplined except when absolutely necessary.

I don't think moderation is always a bad thing. It just depends on who's in charge. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes and all that.

Quote:Even if I was to moderate, it would be in title only, since no matter how much I may disagree with someone, it's not my right to censor their ideas.

That's not what mods do.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
24-09-2010, 12:31 PM
The forum I used for the first experiment, Total War Centre Forums, has lots of extremist liberal mods. Sometimes they even go as far as to edit the posts of people they don't agree with.

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
24-09-2010, 01:51 PM
(24-09-2010 12:31 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  The forum I used for the first experiment, Total War Centre Forums, has lots of extremist liberal mods. Sometimes they even go as far as to edit the posts of people they don't agree with.

Now, see, that's not moderating. That's censorship.

People like that really annoy me. :|

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
24-09-2010, 02:14 PM
(24-09-2010 12:31 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  The forum I used for the first experiment, Total War Centre Forums, has lots of extremist liberal mods. Sometimes they even go as far as to edit the posts of people they don't agree with.

So far I haven't been on a forum that hasn't had that kind of abuse. Guess that's why I'm jaded. I like it here, but I suppose if it was properly moderated it would be a good thing. I've just never been on a forum that was moderated like Unbeliever described. You know what they say though....if it ain't broke....

24-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Oh, and just for the record, I don't find anything wrong with deleting threads that are spam ie the one with nothing but a bunch of links to sites about Islam. Thats just not discussion.