darwism taught in school question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2015, 04:15 AM
darwism taught in school question
My friend is telling me that they are teaching darwism in school as a science bit it should be taught as history.

From what I understand darwism is out dated but it has been 'updated' for a lack of better a word.

Can someone help me out? Am I wrong? I just want to know the truth. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2015, 04:26 AM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2015 05:27 AM by Peebothuhul.)
RE: darwism taught in school question
At work.

Darwin's ideas (Which he published etc) are 150 years old.

So, to say they are 'Out dated' is to say Newton's ideas about gravity etc are 'Out dated'.

They haven't been 'Replaced' so much as 'Refined'.

Smile
[+] 7 users Like Peebothuhul's post
23-08-2015, 04:30 AM
(23-08-2015 04:26 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At wori.

Darwin's ideas (What he ppublished etc) are 150 years old.

So, to say they are 'Out dated' is to say Newton's ideas about gravity etc are 'Out dated'.

Smile
That is what I thought! That I'd what I told her. Thanks so much
23-08-2015, 04:31 AM
[quote='Peebothuhul' pid='838880' dateline='1440325561']
At wori.

Darwin's ideas (What he ppublished etc) are 150 years old.

Smile
[/quot
Double post
23-08-2015, 04:35 AM
Is it being taught in school as science and is it science or religion. My friend is saying it is religion.
23-08-2015, 04:45 AM
Ask her what the defining characteristics of science vs religion are.

For me science is a methodology for working out what is objectively true via hypothesis, experiment and peer-review. Fact checking is built into the system. Religion is a methodology for making people believe shit is true by a. constantly pounding it into their heads b. a variety of fear-based meme-beliefs to prevent them from searching for their own answers. Fact checking is discouraged. She probably wouldn't accept that definition of religion though.

I think just asking her why she thinks it's religion is a good place to start. Also Darwinism is used as a perjorative term by the creationist school of "Logic". It's the theory of evolution.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
23-08-2015, 04:47 AM
(23-08-2015 04:35 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Is it being taught in school as science and is it science or religion. My friend is saying it is religion.
Your friend is not a sharpest knife in the kitchen, it seems.

It is usually referred to as darwinism not darwism buy evolution deniers, which doesn't really matter because there is no such a thing. It is not a science nor a religion, your friend is just being taught about evolution as a part of biology class I suspect.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
23-08-2015, 05:00 AM
(23-08-2015 04:15 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  My friend is telling me that they are teaching darwism in school as a science bit it should be taught as history.

From what I understand darwism is out dated but it has been 'updated' for a lack of better a word.

Can someone help me out? Am I wrong? I just want to know the truth. Thanks

Peebo is correct; evolution has been refined since Darwin's day.

I would argue that "Darwinism" doesn't exist any more. It is a relic-term.

When Darwin proposed his theory of evolution by natural selection, or as he titled it Descent with Modification, "Darwinism" was a name of the time. In the time between Darwin and now, evolutionary theory and understanding have far surpassed what Darwin could ever have hoped to imagine.
Darwin has no monopoly nowadays.

For instance; the incorporation of Mendelian inheritance of which Darwin was wholly (and sadly) ignorant, the rise of population genetics, and the further expansion of ideas into the Modern Synthesis.

I would agree with your friend in one way: Darwinism should be taught as history (should the authorities concerned decide that's the history to be taught). It is of historical significance, even if it is now outmoded.

(23-08-2015 04:35 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Is it being taught in school as science and is it science or religion. My friend is saying it is religion.

Your friend needs to go to any credible dictionary in the world and look up the definition of 'religion'.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
23-08-2015, 05:21 AM
Your friend is mislabeling things he or she doesn't understand .

Religion is believing that angels make it possible for planes to fly in the air.

Science explains why powerful engines and wing design are able to create lift as it moves quickly through the air.

Evolution has rational, justified reasons in the billions of pieces of evidence that supports the full body of facts we refer to as the theory of evolution. Theories give a detailed explanation of our observations in nature.

Religion doesn't do jack shit.

Comparing the two is insulting and frankly stupid and uninformed

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 5 users Like Rahn127's post
23-08-2015, 05:52 AM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2015 05:56 AM by purpledaisies.)
Thank you all. I tried to explain it to her but it went in one ear and out the other. I agreed to disagree.

Edit To add: She thinjs it shoukd be in history class not science. But im not seeing how its just history as it is refind as most science us as we get new information.