darwism taught in school question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2015, 08:11 AM
RE: darwism taught in school question
Ok i get all of this. But im still bot understanding how it is taught in schools? Are we saying its darwism or is it obsorbed into evolution?
Im asking because she says they are still teaching darwism in science as a science and as true fact how darwn wrote it up.

I did explain to her tjat it was refined and not taught how it was in its original content as we get new info we refine the theroy as we do with all theroies.

Am i understanding it right?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2015, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2015 11:18 AM by Peebothuhul.)
At work.

Edit:

Sadcryface

Sorry. Sad

Was trying for levity.

Will try to stop buying lead balloons. Sad
23-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Oh for fucks sake..

Which class did you learn about evolution?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

23-08-2015, 11:35 AM
(23-08-2015 04:26 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Darwin's ideas (Which he published etc) are 150 years old.

So, to say they are 'Out dated' is to say Newton's ideas about gravity etc are 'Out dated'.

They haven't been 'Replaced' so much as 'Refined'.

Smile

Newton's ideas have been tested and found to be correct. Since Darwin's time we have discovered that living beings are much more complex than he realized. That complexity means that the odds against life developing without intelligent guidance are much greater than Darwin believed they were.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2015, 11:40 AM
At work.

(23-08-2015 11:35 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Newton's ideas have been tested and found to be correct. Since Darwin's time we have discovered that living beings are much more complex than he realized. That complexity means that the odds against life developing without intelligent guidance are much greater than Darwin believed they were.

Posting from phone.

To Theophilus, you're wrong.

What previous two comments convince me is to post at home with more time and and keyboard etc.
23-08-2015, 11:49 AM
(23-08-2015 06:28 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 06:18 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  From my view, Darwinism is history as opposed to science, strictly speaking, but it is a little more than 'just history'. It's scientific history; in the world of modern science, what was Darwinism no longer has any strength, having been supplanted and built upon many times, it is irrelevant in function.
But, much like the history that has become of Ancient Rome, it still has ramifications as the foundation of modern biology.

I see no problem teaching it in history as history, or in science as scientific history within the context of evolutionary theory today.

So how is it taught in schools? As history or science or is it obsorbed into evolution? Or is it taught as something separate issue? Im not quite understanding how it is taught?

I don't understand why that is even a question.

The Theory of Evolution (the modern synthesis) is taught as science because it is science.

"Darwinism" isn't taught anywhere that I know of. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
23-08-2015, 11:52 AM
(23-08-2015 04:35 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Is it being taught in school as science and is it science or religion. My friend is saying it is religion.

Just tell her, "At least we know my god existed."

/conversation
23-08-2015, 11:56 AM
(23-08-2015 11:35 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 04:26 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Darwin's ideas (Which he published etc) are 150 years old.

So, to say they are 'Out dated' is to say Newton's ideas about gravity etc are 'Out dated'.

They haven't been 'Replaced' so much as 'Refined'.

Smile

Newton's ideas have been tested and found to be correct. Since Darwin's time we have discovered that living beings are much more complex than he realized. That complexity means that the odds against life developing without intelligent guidance are much greater than Darwin believed they were.

Funny enough, seeing as newton's idea of gravity was replaced by eistein's, and natural selection is still relevant.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
23-08-2015, 12:15 PM
(23-08-2015 11:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 06:28 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  So how is it taught in schools? As history or science or is it obsorbed into evolution? Or is it taught as something separate issue? Im not quite understanding how it is taught?

I don't understand why that is even a question.

The Theory of Evolution (the modern synthesis) is taught as science because it is science.

Ok this id what i was looking for. I didnt think they taught it qs darwism in school. She is insisting they do as her son was learning it last year. Or is this a problem for the bible belt where i am?
23-08-2015, 12:23 PM
(23-08-2015 12:15 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 11:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  I don't understand why that is even a question.

Ok this id what i was looking for. I didnt think they taught it qs darwism in school. She is insisting they do as her son was learning it last year. Or is this a problem for the bible belt where i am?

You or she (or both) seem to be missing the point. Darwinism is just a mostly Christian term for evolution. That's all.

Technically Darwinism isn't taught in schools evolution by natural selection is. But religious types call it Darwinism.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post