darwism taught in school question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2015, 09:28 AM
RE: darwism taught in school question
(23-08-2015 03:39 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 03:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  I think that's a tad misleading. Darwin did create the Theory of Evolution by discovering and stating the mechanism (natural selection), and buttressing it with impeccable evidence. There was no viable theory until then.

The essence of the evolutionary algorithm was identified by Darwin: replication with variation filtered by differential reproductive success.

Ah, quite so. You're correct; I should have been more specific in noting that there is a difference between evolution, or the changing of species over time (which then was referred to as "the mutability of species"), and the Theory of Evolution, which Darwin did indeed give us the first viable model for, and which has been modified with new information (like genetics) since his day. Darwin is the father of the Theory, but evolution as a concept was well known before that.

The TOE has been added to and clarified. Darwin's central algorithm remains unchanged.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-08-2015, 10:26 AM
(24-08-2015 03:17 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I went to a Baptist high school in Baton Rouge and a Baptist college near Jackson, MS (heart of the Bible Belt). Evolution was taught as science at both these schools. YEC teachers and professors made it clear they didn't agree with evolution, but they taught it.

I find it hard to believe that evolution or Darwinism or whatever whoever is calling it, is being taught as non-science. Even private schools must teach it as science for accreditation; likewise, if they teach creationism it must be taught in science as a religious belief; if it's even mentioned in the science class, that is. Private religious schools usually teach it in their mandatory religion classes (as such with my school).

My extremely conservative Baptist college did not teach creationism of any kind outside religion classes, lest they lose their accreditation.

Colleges like Pensacola Christian College could not get accredited until they started teaching evolution in their classes as science. They blatantly denounce it, though.

With that being said, and as sheltered as I was growing up, I still understood the basic concepts of evolution. I mean, it's like not knowing how to write a 5 paragraph essay in English or not knowing how to do long division in math.

Schools must teach these basic concepts in order to stay accredited, and it's been this way before and during your tenure in school. Until just recently, Louisiana passed a law that allows schools to teach creationism as science. They are the only state that does this.

So in short, either 1) someone is lying, 2) someone has no clue what they're talking about, or 3) both.

I also find it troubling that you do not know/remember the most basic and simplests concepts of evolution. The states where I received my education are at the bottom of the barrel education-wise; yet, I still understood it at it's most basic form. Meaning, if I understood it... with all the barriers that were in my way, there is no reason why you shouldn't know simple science.

And as a side note, please do not engage in conversation with a creationist until you educate yourself a little more on basic evolution. You will inevitably do more harm than good.

No what I meant was I couldn't remember if they said Darwin or if they just called it evolution.

I do understand evolution and I'm still learning and doing research as I do with everything.

And I went to a very small school with only 8 in my class and they didn't really go over evolution very well. So I never really got much out of the class.

I think my friend just doesn't understand aw much as she thinks she does. Or she misread what her son was studying.
I appreciate all the help I got from everyone. Smile
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like purpledaisies's post
24-08-2015, 04:47 PM
(24-08-2015 10:26 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I'm still learning and doing research as I do with everything.

That is always the right answer.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post