deconvert

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2017, 04:11 PM
deconvert
I'm a mid 30's business owner in TX who was born, baptized, raised, confirmed, married (and now working on a divorce), ex-Lutheran with a good dose of southern-baptist influence. I was brought up in a right-wing-conservative-military-creationist-indoctrinated Lutheran family and have lived and worked in an extremely southern-baptist style culture. I had in years past, just enough 'jesus'... to fearlessly walk down corridors of prisons to share the good news...to feed, clothe and of course proselytize to, the homeless and to those in need. I was a serious christian.

My exploration into the questions that I've had since grade school, along with a good dose of Hitchens, Harris, Dawkins, Baker, and many others, has basically turned my world upside-down. Seth Andrews' Deconverted is what brought me here I suppose....and his story mirrors my own on many levels.

My new-found critical thinking, and subsequent 'fall from grace' as it were, has basically cost me everything, including my family.

I have an exceptionally long story which is simply too much for the intro section.....so I'll keep that for later I suppose. I am however at a point where I am seeking help (something that has always been tough for me), because the scope and depth of the affected world-views, political opinions, relationships, business partnerships, etc...along with a very real sense of isolation here in deep-bible-belt-country....has me... just about losing it. I've been practically debilitated by depression. Our current political environment certainly does not help my emotional situation. And analyzing the decisions made in the past which were overwhelmingly religiously motivated....has driven me deep into the inner city streets of depressionville.

Its been about 3 years since I started looking for answers, and its been simultaneously the most enlightening and difficult time of my life. On the bright side, I'm excited to start meeting others with a similar story or words of wisdom. And I am thankful that there are those (Andrews, others) that put forth the energy and effort to create communities like this. It is profoundly comforting and encouraging..

Cheers
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like jmuerto's post
02-02-2017, 04:12 PM
RE: deconvert
(02-02-2017 04:11 PM)jmuerto Wrote:  I'm a mid 30's business owner in TX who was born, baptized, raised, confirmed, married (and now working on a divorce), ex-Lutheran with a good dose of southern-baptist influence. I was brought up in a right-wing-conservative-military-creationist-indoctrinated Lutheran family and have lived and worked in an extremely southern-baptist style culture. I had in years past, just enough 'jesus'... to fearlessly walk down corridors of prisons to share the good news...to feed, clothe and of course proselytize to, the homeless and to those in need. I was a serious christian.

My exploration into the questions that I've had since grade school, along with a good dose of Hitchens, Harris, Dawkins, Baker, and many others, has basically turned my world upside-down. Seth Andrews' Deconverted is what brought me here I suppose....and his story mirrors my own on many levels.

My new-found critical thinking, and subsequent 'fall from grace' as it were, has basically cost me everything, including my family.

I have an exceptionally long story which is simply too much for the intro section.....so I'll keep that for later I suppose. I am however at a point where I am seeking help (something that has always been tough for me), because the scope and depth of the affected world-views, political opinions, relationships, business partnerships, etc...along with a very real sense of isolation here in deep-bible-belt-country....has me... just about losing it. I've been practically debilitated by depression. Our current political environment certainly does not help my emotional situation. And analyzing the decisions made in the past which were overwhelmingly religiously motivated....has driven me deep into the inner city streets of depressionville.

Its been about 3 years since I started looking for answers, and its been simultaneously the most enlightening and difficult time of my life. On the bright side, I'm excited to start meeting others with a similar story or words of wisdom. And I am thankful that there are those (Andrews, others) that put forth the energy and effort to create communities like this. It is profoundly comforting and encouraging..

Cheers

Welcome, I think you’re going to like it here.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
02-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Howdy!
02-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
02-02-2017, 04:15 PM
Welcome, jmuerto, glad to have you here.
02-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Welcome!
02-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
02-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Welcome to the forum.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
02-02-2017, 04:23 PM
Welcome into the light.

May I suggest Bart Ehrman's "Jesus Interrupted" and, after you absorb that, Israel Finkelstein's "The Bible Unearthed" and then, Richard Carrier's "On the Historitity of Jesus." Taken together, they will demonstrate the flimsy basis that judeo-xtian bullshit rests upon.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
02-02-2017, 04:55 PM
Welcome!
Sorry you're having such a rough time right now.
We have a Personal Issues and Support section where you can share your story and get advice if you like.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post