degree in mythology...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2014, 08:30 PM
degree in mythology...
So my latest college professor is yet another half wit who can barely articulate a sentence, or formulate a logical thought, and lo and behold.....she has a master's degree in theology...ins't that like having a degree in mythology? There is evidence that people have believed this drivel for centuries, but zero proof in the basis of the myth itself...thus, having a degree in theology to me is like having a degree in mythology....kind of worthless...

your thoughts?

[Image: 9uxdlf.jpg]

[Image: 156bqz6.png]

[Image: 2uhn5th.jpg]

Drooling

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
07-06-2014, 08:37 PM
RE: degree in mythology...
I wonder how much these chumps are paying to get this degree.
07-06-2014, 08:51 PM
I have a degree in purple unicorns.

I once went to a conference with other experts on this topic.
We mostly disagreed with each other, none of us had ever seen a purple unicorn so we couldn't really resolve our issues.

I think purple unicorns have magical powers, certainly more powerful than the yellow unicorns. But some experts don't think purple unicorns have any magical powers. So I asked them, if purple unicorns aren't magical then how come they have never seen one?
They couldn't answer that one. Score a big point for myself on that.
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post
07-06-2014, 09:08 PM
I think studying the bible as a literary work, both in content and origin, is a perfectly legitimate. The bible should be studied, along with the Qu'ran and Dicken's novels. Academia is about the pursuit of knowledge for its own sake.

It is possible for a person to be very good at memorising things and writing papers but have very poor critical thinking and debating skills. This is not exclusive to theology majors.
[+] 3 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
07-06-2014, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2014 09:32 PM by Bucky Ball.)
How dare you. Theology is one of the "Sacred Sciences".
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14580a.htm
Weeping
Chas said once theology was the bastard child of Philosophy, (or something like that .. maybe "Theology is for those too limited to do Philosophy"), and when I was at Harvard's Summer Session last year I had it calligraphied, and hung it on my door in the dorm that had a lot of Divinity students. They know better than to argue with the "know it all". Tongue (They do tell me they'll pray for me ... and I say "Whatever floats your boat".)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-06-2014, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2014 09:29 PM by Dee.)
(07-06-2014 09:08 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I think studying the bible as a literary work, both in content and origin, is a perfectly legitimate. The bible should be studied, along with the Qu'ran and Dicken's novels. Academia is about the pursuit of knowledge for its own sake.

It is possible for a person to be very good at memorising things and writing papers but have very poor critical thinking and debating skills. This is not exclusive to theology majors.

Well said Michael Tadlock!

Maybe it's because I started university in my late 40s, but I loved every bit of it. And as far as religion goes it's all around us and has influenced every corner of human existence. As scholars we should be well versed in religion and its influences to understand who we are and where we have been, maybe even get a hint to where we are going.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
07-06-2014, 09:30 PM
(07-06-2014 09:25 PM)Dee Wrote:  ... to understand who we are and where we have been, maybe even get a hint to where we are going.
For some of us religion has no part to play in any of those questions.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
07-06-2014, 10:04 PM
(07-06-2014 09:30 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(07-06-2014 09:25 PM)Dee Wrote:  ... to understand who we are and where we have been, maybe even get a hint to where we are going.

A lot of us are skeptics, not just about religion but almost everything, because of religion. Failures are the most valuable of lessons. We could not understand who we are without knowing something about where we came from.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
07-06-2014, 10:08 PM
(07-06-2014 09:30 PM)Stevil Wrote:  

I think you have misunderstood my meaning.

Religion has been around since human beings began to observe mysteries. It influenced all philosophers, social contract theories, how governments are run, how we think even today, all the paths we have taken to get to where are today (we meaning humans). Religion certainly influences atheism and spawned many atheists. It's in us whether we like it or not.

How about the Platonic cave: the hegemony of light in western culture, The Matrix (the movie), vampires, religious symbols are pointedly left out or entered into almost all great literature and theatre. And, where we are going, so will religion. The list is so great, we cannot escape it. We are influenced!

I never said we have to bow to it.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
07-06-2014, 10:18 PM
(07-06-2014 10:04 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  A lot of us are skeptics, not just about religion but almost everything, because of religion. Failures are the most valuable of lessons. We could not understand who we are without knowing something about where we came from.

I agree Michael_T.

I also believe that knowing were we came from can help us to make wiser choices for where we are going.