democrat=atheist, freethinkers, everyone that isn't a "christian"/"religious"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2016, 10:01 PM
democrat=atheist, freethinkers, everyone that isn't a "christian"/"religious"
im just wondering why it seems that any time i see atheist and politics, it's all anti-republican... anti-trump etc. as far as i see there is no threads for why hillary...""
matter of fact any time i hear politics, i think democrats= atheist, freethinkers; republican=religious fanatics, anyone in the "christian" faith.
If we're really freethinkers, why does it seem that everyone just so happens to fall right in line with the left wing, democratic party.
?????????
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2016, 10:43 PM
RE: democrat=atheist, freethinkers, everyone that isn't a "christian"/"religious"
(02-11-2016 10:01 PM)aprilapt1821 Wrote:  ...
why does it seem that everyone just so happens to fall right in line with the left wing, ...

It's the will of Allah. It is written.

Murikan politics doesn't have a left wing. The right wing flaps and the bird goes around in circles.

Welcome to TTA.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
02-11-2016, 10:55 PM
RE: democrat=atheist, freethinkers, everyone that isn't a "christian"/"religious"
(02-11-2016 10:01 PM)aprilapt1821 Wrote:  im just wondering why it seems that any time i see atheist and politics, it's all anti-republican... anti-trump etc. as far as i see there is no threads for why hillary...""
matter of fact any time i hear politics, i think democrats= atheist, freethinkers; republican=religious fanatics, anyone in the "christian" faith.
If we're really freethinkers, why does it seem that everyone just so happens to fall right in line with the left wing, democratic party.
?????????

Is it really that hard to understand?

The right wing has spent the better part of the last half century pandering to low information voters, preying upon their fears and hatreds, and exploiting religiosity has been one of their preferred tools. Being anti-gay, anti-intellectual, anti-everything-that-isn't-like-me is what largely rouses their base, it's what you have to do and say to get elected. Fear of the other is arguably the single most defining feature of right wing politics.

If you don't live in fear; of your fellow citizens, of the government, of science, of the present and future? Then the right wing isn't going to get your vote. Republicans don't want atheists votes, because pandering to the religious and throwing us under the bus is far easier. For decades it has worked too, but the demographics are hitting a breaking point and they may now be past the point of national viability; and if not now, certainly within the next decade if they maintain their current course of action.

Many of us don't even like the Democrats, but they're the only other viable game in town; and they're at least smart enough to not burn down bridges with us on them.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 8 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-11-2016, 10:57 PM
(02-11-2016 10:01 PM)aprilapt1821 Wrote:  im just wondering why it seems that any time i see atheist and politics, it's all anti-republican... anti-trump etc. as far as i see there is no threads for why hillary...""
?????????

Part of being freethinking is looking for the evidence before you form your conclusion.

A cursory read of this forum's posts over the last couple of weeks would quickly tell you that we have several ardent Trump supporters (and less-ardent but still Conservative) who are active members here. Just off the top of my head as I type this, I can think of half a dozen threads about Hillary's shortcomings.

Even those of us who are liberals don't really fall "in line with the left wing, democratic party", as you put it. That said, we here at TTA do tend to be better-educated than the average population, and we (obviously) are non-religious.

The non-religious part means that the heavily "God Wills It"-laced platform of the GOP (often called "God's Own Party" in slang) can be a turn-off to atheists who might otherwise be supportive of Conservative ideals, typically from an economic POV. It should be noted that Ayn Rand, one of the "patron saints" (if you'll pardon the joke) of Libertarian thought, was an ardent atheist.

Finally, you should have immediately run into quite a bit of data from the surveys/studies which have shown that typically, the better-educated a person is, the more likely they are to have a liberal outlook-- and thus to support liberal policies. It's not a causative but a correlative relationship. Nevertheless, it should hardly be surprising that a group of highly-educated people (atheist or not) turn out to lean to the left.

[Image: Pew1.png?width=600&height=600]

So with all due respect, I'm not sure what your complaint is about this forum. We have plenty of room for additional conservative-leaning membership.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
02-11-2016, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2016 11:03 PM by epronovost.)
?????????

There are several atheist poster on this website who are definetly right wing and/or Republican. We also have a certain number of right wing libertarians. The Alt Right also has a significant atheist fringe. I wouldn't call it an equal split (far from it), but there is a lot of diversity in the atheist community.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
03-11-2016, 03:16 PM
@aprilapt

Cause "we" aren't really freethinkers, just communist sect, which I assume explains our left leaning tendencies.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
03-11-2016, 03:25 PM
It seems like most comedians are also freethinkers too. They have to be....so they can see past all the bullshit and hypocrisy and then laugh like hell. Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
03-11-2016, 03:42 PM
"Free thinkers" are anathema to any organisation that likes people to follow the party or faith line. Thus strong right or left wing organisations or organised religions fear freedom of thought - people might start questioning those who wish to control their lives.

Conversely the "free thinkers" mostly have no time for any person or organisation who tries to control their thoughts or anyone who is totally in thrall to such a person or organisation. They may to reason with them but, if they are intelligent, realise they are arguing with someone as hide-bound as themselves - like headbutting a brick Like wewring a helmet - and ignore or get out of the fight. Otherwise it degenerates into taking part in the usual swearing and insulting session.

"Free thought" is usually a tad anarchistic by its very nature so is not an efficient system for "groupthink". However, as a proto-anarchist myself I would not give it up for all the false and hollow promises of politics and religion gift wrapped and delivered in a single hot air balloon on my birthday!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
03-11-2016, 04:16 PM
Quote:why does it seem that everyone just so happens to fall right in line with the left wing, democratic party.

LOL! Son, chappy, brah, you guys have two choices, Republican or Democrat. Just because you vote Democrat doesn't mean you 100% stand by all their policies.
Hell, I love Bernie Sanders but I don't agree with him on every little detail. You only need to look at Mike Pence's views on things to see why most atheists vote Democrats.

Also, atheism is simply the lack of belief in a god, that is all atheism is.

Side note. If you're trying to figure out why people aren't voting for Trump than you're a fucking moronic piece of shit who can suck a dick while having a cactus rammed firmly up your ass.

[Image: oscar.png]
03-11-2016, 08:02 PM
(03-11-2016 04:16 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  suck a dick while having a cactus rammed firmly up your ass.

Hey, now... take it easy, Muffs.

Everyone needs a hobby. Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson