depression, social anxiety, and unemployment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2011, 08:26 PM
depression, social anxiety, and unemployment
It's a viscous circle.

My social problems are innate, but the depression and unemployment fuel each other.

How can I pass a job interview if I'm depressed?
How can I not be depressed if I'm unemployed?

I need help.

Empty generic optimism is nice, and would probably help most people, but it ultimately just pisses me off and kills my day.

I don't need/want to vent; that just makes it worse. Hell, even writing this makes it worse. But maybe someone has a tangible, solid tip, so it's worth a shot.

I play CityVille, and I need you as my neighbor!
I need a job too, so that I can play CityVille less.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2011, 08:33 PM
RE: depression, social anxiety, and unemployment
What sort of work are you looking for? What's your field of education/expertise? Do I remember right that you're in Texas?

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
21-03-2011, 08:41 PM
(21-03-2011 08:33 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  What sort of work are you looking for? What's your field of education/expertise?

I have a degree in Physics, but as I pointed out in a thread earlier tonight, all of that knowledge is gone.

I have experience delivering furniture, ripping up old flooring, and teaching (TA in college). I've worked at a boy scout summer camp, pushed carts at walmart, and I was a RA in college as well. I had a Branch Manager Trainee job for less than a year in the HVAC distribution industry, but that didn't work out.

I'm looking for something that isn't customer service intensive. Sales is obviously out of the question too.
This won't pay my student loans or my debt to my parents, but I've been trying to get a job working at a gym. I actually like the gym so that would be some sort of shit-easy customer service job that I could tolerate.

Two of the four interviews in the past 14 months have been with 24 hour fitness, but they won't return my emails or calls.

And yes, I'm in Texas.

21-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Have you always lived in Texas? There's a reason I ask. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
21-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Yes, I've always lived in Texas.

21-03-2011, 09:30 PM
I was unemployed for 3 years so obviously I understand the cycle of trying to go apply places and never even getting a phone call, eventually you stop applying to save a step. Generally your best bets are to get to know people, becoming social in your area (even if you hate the place) may get you a friend who has an opening where they work. There are plenty of people alive so that all jobs can be picky nowadays. References are your best bet. I got a job when I finally got fully into activism.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
21-03-2011, 09:51 PM
(21-03-2011 09:30 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Generally your best bets are to get to know people, becoming social in your area (even if you hate the place) may get you a friend who has an opening where they work. There are plenty of people alive so that all jobs can be picky nowadays. References are your best bet.
That's what scares me. I'm not social - at all. There are no friends.

If employment is contingent upon networking, then I'm fucked.

21-03-2011, 09:56 PM
I seriously understand you, but you're here so you get some social interaction. Eventually an opportunity is going to show up you just gotta grin and bear it. Also if you drive, many states are building tracks for trains and such as part of the Obama reformation thing. You can check that out as well let me grab the link.

http://www.csx.com/?fuseaction=careers.main

it's pretty good money and has no requirements beyond drivers license. Which was one I couldn't fill.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
21-03-2011, 10:01 PM
If I'm not making enough money to make student loan payments, then I have to stay in school to keep the loans in deferment or forbearance or whatever.

One degree? Worthless.
Two degrees? Even better!

And the Internet doesn't count.
There are no IRL friends.

21-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Social leads to social. And i actually just left my debt sit for 3 years. What else could I do?