did you guys hear about the atheist blogger that reconverted?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2012, 09:16 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2012 10:06 PM by lightninlives.)
did you guys hear about the atheist blogger that reconverted?
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unequallyyo...ortal.html

No sense in commenting on the blog itself since it has over 800 comments already but figured it would make for good conversation.

My question to her is if, like me and many other atheists, her atheism was based on skepticism and empiricism. Based on this post and follow-up posts, my guess is no.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2012, 09:18 PM
RE: did you guys here about the atheist blogger that reconverted?
I've been thinking about doing this myself. I could totally cash in if Zeus would only take me back into his loving fold.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 8 users Like Erxomai's post
19-06-2012, 10:21 PM
RE: did you guys hear about the atheist blogger that reconverted?
I'd be willing to reconvert in an instant if God would send me an unambiguous sign of His existence. And yet despite that, he never does. Strange, isn't it?

It could happen to anyone, even someone who is normally rational. Fear of death, need for community, and discomfort with truth being less than absolute can drive anyone to irrational decisions. It's sad to see, but nonetheless a reality.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Starcrash's post
19-06-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't know how something like this even happens.

She said all a body would have to do there was to go around all day long with a harp and sing. So I didn't think much of it. But I never said so. I asked her if she reckoned Tom Sawyer would go there, and she said not by a considerable sight. I was glad about that, because I wanted him and me to be together. - Huck Finn.
[+] 1 user Likes angela_means_fallen_angel's post
19-06-2012, 10:46 PM
(19-06-2012 10:32 PM)angela_means_fallen_angel Wrote:  I don't know how something like this even happens.

Oh that's an easy one. It's the same reason christians tell us that we are only atheists because we want to sin. Well, here is an example of just that. We have a christian who wanted to sin so bad that she decided to become an atheist for awhile. After satiating herself, she returns to the loving arms of her jesus, completely forgiven of absolutely anything she has done.

You see, it is not us non-believers who want to do wicked things -- it's always the religious assholes who can't control their whims.
[+] 7 users Like Darkhouse's post
19-06-2012, 10:56 PM
(19-06-2012 10:46 PM)Darkhouse Wrote:  
(19-06-2012 10:32 PM)angela_means_fallen_angel Wrote:  I don't know how something like this even happens.

Oh that's an easy one. It's the same reason christians tell us that we are only atheists because we want to sin. Well, here is an example of just that. We have a christian who wanted to sin so bad that she decided to become an atheist for awhile. After satiating herself, she returns to the loving arms of her jesus, completely forgiven of absolutely anything she has done.

You see, it is not us non-believers who want to do wicked things -- it's always the religious assholes who can't control their whims.
Sigh, I guess I'm pretty naive. I didn't even look at it that way. No

She said all a body would have to do there was to go around all day long with a harp and sing. So I didn't think much of it. But I never said so. I asked her if she reckoned Tom Sawyer would go there, and she said not by a considerable sight. I was glad about that, because I wanted him and me to be together. - Huck Finn.
[+] 1 user Likes angela_means_fallen_angel's post
19-06-2012, 10:59 PM
(19-06-2012 10:56 PM)angela_means_fallen_angel Wrote:  
(19-06-2012 10:46 PM)Darkhouse Wrote:  Oh that's an easy one. It's the same reason christians tell us that we are only atheists because we want to sin. Well, here is an example of just that. We have a christian who wanted to sin so bad that she decided to become an atheist for awhile. After satiating herself, she returns to the loving arms of her jesus, completely forgiven of absolutely anything she has done.

Sigh, I guess I'm pretty naive. I didn't even look at it that way. No
There are many reasons why people subscribe to religions. None of them are GOOD reasons to subscribe to religions.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
19-06-2012, 11:09 PM
(19-06-2012 10:56 PM)angela_means_fallen_angel Wrote:  Sigh, I guess I'm pretty naive. I didn't even look at it that way. No

Hmm. I didn't see it that way either. I am confused though, was she first a Theist and then became an Atheist, who has now converted back? Because, she seems to have not really let go of her belief completely during her time as an Atheist.

I suspect some kind of experiment - she's young. People can screw up their lives lots of ways when they're young and this may be one of them, I suppose. I hope she knows there's no such thing as being forced to do anything to cause future regret. Confused

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
19-06-2012, 11:14 PM
She talked about her soul as an atheist ?? I don't think she was ever atheist, just non religious. Then she couldn't answer what morality is and describes it as just a different plane than our physical selves? Not a scientific answer. Social evolution is a better one.

I had a hard time following her writing. She sounds confused.
[+] 4 users Like LadyJane's post
19-06-2012, 11:28 PM
(19-06-2012 11:14 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  She talked about her soul as an atheist ?? I don't think she was ever atheist, just non religious. Then she couldn't answer what morality is and describes it as just a different plane than our physical selves? Not a scientific answer. Social evolution is a better one.

I had a hard time following her writing. She sounds confused.
She needs one Mr. Cantor to set her straight! Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 5 users Like Erxomai's post