did you guys hear about the atheist blogger that reconverted?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2012, 12:01 AM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2012 12:14 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: did you guys hear about the atheist blogger that reconverted?
(19-06-2012 11:28 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(19-06-2012 11:14 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  She talked about her soul as an atheist ?? I don't think she was ever atheist, just non religious. Then she couldn't answer what morality is and describes it as just a different plane than our physical selves? Not a scientific answer. Social evolution is a better one.

I had a hard time following her writing. She sounds confused.

She needs one Mr. Cantor to set her straight! Tongue

She ain't ready for no hoc.
Yup. I give her however long it takes for her to look beyond the Aegean Islands. Could be a month, could be 75 years. Could be never. The day may come when she actually looks at her own roots, (the Torah), and the 19th C. Protestant scholars. Maybe along the way she'll take a Physics class .. who knows ? I can't read beyond a paragraph of Lewis, and certainly not Chesterton, without my head exploding. Blech. Then maybe she'll meet some real church (ahem), "leaders", and get a look at some clay footsies, up real close. She'll regret ever swimmin' in the filth of the Tiber. Two chairs in-fucking-deed. Give her two tickets to the Katie Perry movie. She'll be right at home. Meow. Oh, wait. Justin is on Dave. Outta my way.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-06-2012, 12:01 AM
No true atheist could ever reconvert. She must not have been sincere in her non-faith.

(Said the scotsman?)

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 4 users Like Hafnof's post
20-06-2012, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2012 12:15 AM by Lilith Pride.)
No idea who that was but the post really made her sound like someone who needed someone else to verify her views. I don't put that much stock in any philosophers or anything. I will find what makes sense and when something is confusing I'll keep looking, but I could care less who says it, and I've never considered a good argument to exist only because of a position the arguer took. Plenty of good arguments have come from people who believe many things I do not, so I don't need to find someone who agrees with my philosophy to find truth. Of all the churches I can't see someone so wrapped up in philosophy going for catholics. They have a horrible track record at current on morals, and as a woman she's setting herself up to be scoffed at as an intellectual.

What's so agnostic about cracking eggs? She said that it's the second least gnostic thing she does besides feeding herself. How are those not gnostic? I would say physical attributes are the things you can understand most. Just because you're sitting there thinking to yourself doesn't mean you're finding truth. That egg is real and that you are nourished by it is about as truth as things get in this world.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 5 users Like Lilith Pride's post
20-06-2012, 12:44 AM
(19-06-2012 11:28 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(19-06-2012 11:14 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  She talked about her soul as an atheist ?? I don't think she was ever atheist, just non religious. Then she couldn't answer what morality is and describes it as just a different plane than our physical selves? Not a scientific answer. Social evolution is a better one.

I had a hard time following her writing. She sounds confused.
She needs one Mr. Cantor to set her straight! Tongue
Who can straighten what god has made crooked? Tongue

She seems to me to be rather self-absorbed, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it tends to polarize one's conception of right and wrong. It's a short step from "I would never do that!" to projecting "what would never be done" unto a "perfect I" and calling it god.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
20-06-2012, 05:54 AM
I've read her post now, and I think the reason for her reconversion is her perculiar philosophical bent. This persuasion of hers seems to have long lead her to believe that there is an absolute moral law that comes from somewhere, and she seems to have finally concluded that somewhere is God. I don't know anything about her except for these two posts so I'm not equipped to dig into her reasons any further than that.

I tend to think that philosophy can lead us to think in circles in a way that is uninformed about reality, and allows us to convince ourselves and others of things that are actually a bit daft. I think this is why we see a revival in a philosophical approach by figures such as WLC and I think this individual is caught up in that. The thing about philosophy is that I think the more intelligent you are, the more you are able to construct elaborate and convincing arguments for patently false things. That's why I prefer a model that includes actual prediction and testing, myself Smile

In this case I don't agree that there is an absolute moral law past what game theory would suggest is our species' best available strategy given the strategies employed by its biological and inanimate environment. Without this premise of an absolute law I don't see any connection to a law giver of any kind. I think it's kind of like the philosophy of numbers, where Plato would say that numbers are real things in some kind of parallel dimension. Whenever we use the concept of "3" we are somehow tracing the relationship of "3" to all of the other numbers within that universe of numbers. Me, I think numbers are part of the properties of this reality and of the reality within our minds. I don't have to ask who gave us numbers. To me numbers came from the nature of the universe and from our own nature. Morality is the same.

Anyway, the argument from morality has been debunked enough already. She didn't try to make the argument in this post, simply to accept that having accepted the argument already as a part of her moral philosophy she decided that God had to be in the picture to make it complete.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
20-06-2012, 06:22 AM
Well the Christees (tx for the term Kim Tongue ) were all sayin' nice things Smile Good luck to her.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
20-06-2012, 06:36 AM
It's this, pure and simple:

Cypher: You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize?
[Takes a bite of steak]

Cypher
: Ignorance is bliss.

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 6 users Like Seasbury's post
20-06-2012, 08:55 AM
She sounds like a Hipster and we all know that Hipsters are worse than Christees. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
20-06-2012, 09:08 AM
(20-06-2012 08:55 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  She sounds like a Hipster and we all know that Hipsters are worse than Christees. Drinking Beverage
Chistee Hipster is a bad combo... Drooling (thinking of that steak above...)

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 2 users Like Seasbury's post
20-06-2012, 11:41 AM
How did she go from "morality is objective and outside of humanity" to "it comes from the Catholic church's flavor of God"? I am doubtful that she had to travel far, given that it sounds like she already had a strong Catholic bent.

Also, just being an "atheist" doesn't mean she was a strong rational thinker. It doesn't mean any of us are. But I think you are probably right that she wasn't a "true Soctsman", but who am I to say. It's just as much of a fallacy when applied to Christians as to Atheists. The difference is that she puts her thoughts and experiences out on a blog for everyone to see and make judgements on.

In any case, I hope the best for her.
[+] 4 users Like kineo's post