did you guys hear about the atheist blogger that reconverted?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2012, 11:47 AM
RE: did you guys hear about the atheist blogger that reconverted?
(19-06-2012 10:21 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I'd be willing to reconvert in an instant if God would send me an unambiguous sign of His existence. And yet despite that, he never does. Strange, isn't it?

It could happen to anyone, even someone who is normally rational. Fear of death, need for community, and discomfort with truth being less than absolute can drive anyone to irrational decisions. It's sad to see, but nonetheless a reality.
Yes, all he has to do is prove it to me, and I'll believe it.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Morality basically is a list of things not to do to one another, in order to work together, peacefully.

How she anthropomorphized that into a person that loves her is beyond me, and seem very irrational.

Especially considering different faiths, religions, tribes, countries, persons, all have different moralities.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
25-06-2012, 09:19 PM
It always hurts when I hear someone reconverts (hey that rhymed), for a critical thinking mind to slip back into that shell of delusion is absolutely heart breaking.

Meanwhile Christian parents weep because they think their skeptic children are going to burn for eternity, someone open a window to let out all this irony!

Wait, only God can make you moral? Huh But committing genocide looks like a lot of work!
[+] 3 users Like SoulReaper113's post
26-06-2012, 02:12 PM
(25-06-2012 09:19 PM)SoulReaper113 Wrote:  It always hurts when I hear someone reconverts (hey that rhymed), for a critical thinking mind to slip back into that shell of delusion is absolutely heart breaking.

Meanwhile Christian parents weep because they think their skeptic children are going to burn for eternity, someone open a window to let out all this irony!

I hear what you're saying, but based on what I read I am not sure I'd describe her thinking as "critical thinking". She went from anthropomorphizing morality to a Catholic conversion in a single step. First, she was in the wrong to ascribe an emotion morality ("maybe morality loves me")- thereby setting it up to be or have a personality capable of emotions. Morality, existing only as an idea rather than a being, cannot think or feel. Morality does make decisions, it does not care. It is not capable of any sort of thing. She had already taken a leap from critical thinking before her "reconversion". She sounded as if she should write about poetry or musicals rather than philosophy or science. But admittedly I only read the one post from her, so perhaps that's a mischaracterization of the rest of her posting history. Based on that very limited exposure, it feels as though she was simply not genuine. Could her entire stint as an atheist be dismissed in the same way we dismiss Kirk Cameron calling himself a former atheist?

I'm still bewildered about how she could call herself an atheist, believe morality is a "being" capable of emotion, and then decide that being is the Catholic flavor of God all in one night's discussion.

Maybe she is a critical thinker, but is experiencing her own cognitive dissonance. Or has had a lapse in critical thinking when it mattered most. I don't know. But the whole thing seems fishy to me. Undecided
[+] 3 users Like kineo's post
26-06-2012, 03:09 PM
(26-06-2012 02:12 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(25-06-2012 09:19 PM)SoulReaper113 Wrote:  It always hurts when I hear someone reconverts (hey that rhymed), for a critical thinking mind to slip back into that shell of delusion is absolutely heart breaking.

But the whole thing seems fishy to me. Undecided
When I first saw the post I left a comment mentioning how the marketer in me smelled a PR stunt. Once I saw her appear on CNN I knew my hunch was at least partially correct.

CNN appearances like that don't happen by accident.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 2 users Like lightninlives's post
26-06-2012, 03:22 PM
(26-06-2012 03:09 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  
(26-06-2012 02:12 PM)kineo Wrote:  But the whole thing seems fishy to me. Undecided
When I first saw the post I left a comment mentioning how the marketer in me smelled a PR stunt. Once I saw her appear on CNN I knew my hunch was at least partially correct.

CNN appearances like that don't happen by accident.

Wow, I didn't realize she was on CNN. In what way does this qualify as news on the level of CNN coverage? Unsure

I suspect that you're right about it being a stunt of some kind.
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
26-06-2012, 03:47 PM
If it is a stunt...

How old is this kid? God the vultures don't have any mercy do they... anything's grist to the old PR campaign mill.
26-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Imo no educated atheist could ever reconvert. You can't unlearn biology, evolution, and particle/astro physics.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
26-06-2012, 06:20 PM
I simply don't understand this if it to be taken as serious.

I have no idea how one can go from conscious atheism to theism - not to mention catholicism.

If you just were never exposed to religion, I can see it. But if you know all about it and were fully exposed, how can you possibly go back to it after all the crap has been debunked in your head?

I have always thought that people might go back out of desparation, in situations where there is extreme pressure and you are about to collapse if you don't have a straw to grasp. The situation where you would do anything just to make it stop.... like torture.

But without pressure and as a conscious decision - which is what it seems to be with her - it's beyond my comprehension.

On top of that, to go directly to a specific organized religion - that just stinks of dirty tricks.

In the web business we have a term - "link bait".

Link bait is an outrageous statement that shakes up the reader enough to want to discuss it with other people - and hence there will be a lot of links to it, like the one here.

That increases public exposure as well as google position. Just search her name on google and you will see the mentions and importance jump by leaps and bounds to the top. Great publicity for a writer. Great publicity for catholicism.

She may well have been a catholic all along, engaged in a stunt of writing as atheist, to draw attention back to catholicism and herself as prophet. She does mention she will continue to write - as catholic.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
26-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Let me see if I understand her reasoning.
Humans could not have evolved morality themselves, so it must come from outside of human society.
Morality does exist; Therefore, god must be morality and he exists.
This is the same tired old "Objective Moral Values" stunt.
Did she just fall for this?
Who can make the claim that a social species could not have evolved social rules? That's the whole idea behind evolving as a social species. WTF is wrong with people's thinking?

The logic is as bad as this:
Humans need water to live.
Humans didn't create water; therefore a god must have created water.
God therefore exists and also created humans.
You can make the most idiotic logical position sound plausible.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post