did you guys hear about the atheist blogger that reconverted?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2012, 11:36 PM
RE: did you guys hear about the atheist blogger that reconverted?
After reading more of her stuff - cause she's more interesting than you lugs - I ain't getting where she re-converted. Or is that just Lightnin pulling his own marketing scam? Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-06-2012, 10:42 AM
(26-06-2012 06:20 PM)Dom Wrote:  I simply don't understand this if it to be taken as serious.

I have no idea how one can go from conscious atheism to theism - not to mention catholicism.

If you just were never exposed to religion, I can see it. But if you know all about it and were fully exposed, how can you possibly go back to it after all the crap has been debunked in your head?

I have always thought that people might go back out of desparation, in situations where there is extreme pressure and you are about to collapse if you don't have a straw to grasp. The situation where you would do anything just to make it stop.... like torture.

But without pressure and as a conscious decision - which is what it seems to be with her - it's beyond my comprehension.

On top of that, to go directly to a specific organized religion - that just stinks of dirty tricks.

In the web business we have a term - "link bait".

Link bait is an outrageous statement that shakes up the reader enough to want to discuss it with other people - and hence there will be a lot of links to it, like the one here.

That increases public exposure as well as google position. Just search her name on google and you will see the mentions and importance jump by leaps and bounds to the top. Great publicity for a writer. Great publicity for catholicism.

She may well have been a catholic all along, engaged in a stunt of writing as atheist, to draw attention back to catholicism and herself as prophet. She does mention she will continue to write - as catholic.

That's exactly what I was thinking- well said!

She conveniently leaves out the details of the discussion. This paragraph is the key, in my opinion. She offers this tidbit up as an easy dismissal of evolution's capacity to produce morality:

Quote:I’ve heard some explanations that try to bake morality into the natural world by reaching for evolutionary psychology. They argue that moral dispositions are evolutionarily triumphant over selfishness, or they talk about group selection, or something else. Usually, these proposed solutions radically misunderstand a) evolution b) moral philosophy or c) both. I didn’t think the answer was there. My friend pressed me to stop beating up on other people’s explanations and offer one of my own.

So she easily dismisses evolutionary psychology, saying that anyone who thinks that evolution could have produced morality "radically misunderstands" evolution and/or moral philosophy. Maybe that's true in my case (I haven't studied moral philosophy, but I have studied evolution). But that's not an argument- it's an escape clause to avoid having to discuss why evolution is an insufficient explanation for morality. So, having successfully elevated philosophy over science using sleight of hand, she is free to produce her very own explanation at her "friend's" urging- because she's a philosopher.

It's too convenient, too dismissive, and too final to not seem prefabricated.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
27-06-2012, 10:45 AM
On a different note- her face looks familiar... has she ever done an appearance with Dawkins? I swear I have seen her face before...
27-06-2012, 10:50 AM
(27-06-2012 10:42 AM)kineo Wrote:  It's too convenient, too dismissive, and too final to not seem prefabricated.

Your critical thinking skills are overlooking the obvious. She's cute - so she gets away with it. End of story. Big Grin

I'm actually thinking she's pretty sharp, too. I'm still willing to give her the benefit of the doubt at this time. I mean, if she's still toeing the line a year from now, yeah, but she could be sincere, in which case, she'll soon have lots of atheistic things to say about her new religion. Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-06-2012, 10:59 AM
(27-06-2012 10:50 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(27-06-2012 10:42 AM)kineo Wrote:  It's too convenient, too dismissive, and too final to not seem prefabricated.

Your critical thinking skills are overlooking the obvious. She's cute - so she gets away with it. End of story. Big Grin

I'm actually thinking she's pretty sharp, too. I'm still willing to give her the benefit of the doubt at this time. I mean, if she's still toeing the line a year from now, yeah, but she could be sincere, in which case, she'll soon have lots of atheistic things to say about her new religion. Thumbsup

Haha, well I am not necessarily convinced that she's making it all up. But I'm skeptical either way. Big Grin
27-06-2012, 11:10 AM
(27-06-2012 10:50 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Your critical thinking skills are overlooking the obvious. She's cute - so she gets away with it. End of story. Big Grin

What Kineo said. 1 year from now she might have taken Idealism II, and Neurolinguistics, so I'll see what happens next year.

And you cannot be serious. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/worl...ing-person

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
27-06-2012, 11:49 AM
(27-06-2012 11:10 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  And you cannot be serious. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/worl...ing-person

That's horrible. Angry

Big Grin

She's actually "more cute" to me for having a sharp mind. Thumbsup

27-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Undecided Meh... her appearance or attractiveness is irrelevant to the discussion (other than that she looks familiar to me for some reason).
27-06-2012, 11:54 AM
(27-06-2012 11:53 AM)kineo Wrote:  Undecided Meh... her appearance or attractiveness is irrelevant to the discussion (other than that she looks familiar to me for some reason).
"Cute" is never irrelevant. You rationalists, keep forgetting we're just a sack of wired-up chemicals. Tongue

27-06-2012, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2012 12:09 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(27-06-2012 11:54 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  "Cute" is never irrelevant. You rationalists, keep forgetting we're just a sack of wired-up chemicals. Tongue

Nah. Grasshopper's chantin' om. Just bein' a brat.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche