dinosaur tail found preserved in amber

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2016, 06:16 AM
dinosaur tail found preserved in amber
http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/08/health/din...index.html

Quote: (CNN) — The tail of a 99-million-year-old dinosaur has been found entombed in amber, an unprecedented discovery that has blown away scientists.

Xing Lida, a Chinese paleontologist found the specimen, the size of a dried apricot, at an amber market in northern Myanmar near the Chinese border.

The remarkable piece was destined to end up as a curiosity or piece of jewelry, with Burmese traders believing a plant fragment was trapped inside.

"I realized that the content was a vertebrate, probably theropod, rather than any plant," Xing told CNN.

"I was not sure that (the trader) really understood how important this specimen was, but he did not raise the price."

[Image: 161208121636-dinosaur-amber-2-large-169.jpg]

[Image: 161208121906-dinosaur-amber-3-large-169.jpg]

[Image: 161208121435-dinosaur-amber-1-large-169.jpg]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
09-12-2016, 06:27 AM
RE: dinosaur tail found preserved in amber
I read about this yesterday.
It makes me wonder how much stuff like this is just sitting around looking "normal", never being recognized for the possible scientific breakthrough it might be.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 4 users Like unsapien's post
09-12-2016, 06:32 AM
(09-12-2016 06:27 AM)unsapien Wrote:  I read about this yesterday.
It makes me wonder how much stuff like this is just sitting around looking "normal", never being recognized for the possible scientific breakthrough it might be.

This is the reason some people haunt "antique" (i.e., "junk") stores, they're looking for that lost Picasso. Weeping
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
09-12-2016, 06:44 AM
Can we get some DNA out of it and start cloning yet?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
09-12-2016, 06:56 AM
It is an incredible thing. 99 million years. Holy shit. Continents weren't the same shape when that thing was encased in amber.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
09-12-2016, 06:58 AM
(09-12-2016 06:44 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Can we get some DNA out of it and start cloning yet?

Dr. Henry says that's all Wu. Smartass
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
09-12-2016, 07:05 AM
(09-12-2016 06:44 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Can we get some DNA out of it and start cloning yet?

I'll bet they taste like goose.... Drooling

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
09-12-2016, 07:26 AM

Ever since they cloned the sheep, people have seriously talked about cloning dinosaurs and other extinct animals. Mammoths are much more plausible given the circumstances and I'm pretty sure people in Asia and Russia have done serious research if not made actual attempts.

My whole attitude during this has been "It sounds cool, but should we?". You have to balance the cool factor against ethical considerations, financial costs, etc.

But when I read the article yesterday all that went straight out the window.

From the first sentence, I was mentally screaming "CLONEITCLONEITCLONEITCLONETHATMOTHERFUCKERIWANTONEAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!"

I had it planned out. I would have a pet dinosaur. With feathers. And I would name it Reginald.

Then I got to the last sentences.

Quote:McKellar said that soft tissue and decayed blood from the tail were found in the amber but no genetic material was preserved.

"Unfortunately, the Jurassic Park answer is still a 'no' -- this is firmly in the realm of science fiction," he said.

Sadcryface Sorry Reggie. We would have had fun.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 8 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
09-12-2016, 07:33 AM
Take a piece of meat, seal it in a container that doesn't leak. Leave it there for 90,000,000 years. Then take it out and eat it.

What? People are expecting DNA to survive that, so why not meat?

Thumbsup
09-12-2016, 09:12 AM
(09-12-2016 07:26 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I had it planned out. I would have a pet dinosaur. With feathers. And I would name it Reginald.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 9 users Like unfogged's post