divine inspiration, alright...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2015, 07:50 AM
divine inspiration, alright...
What is your favorite bible passage (or any religious text) that is either so ridiculous or vulgar without contributing to the fuzzy aspects of that religion?
My favorite has to be Isaiah 16:11. My bowels have a habit of sounding like a harp, so i can kind of relate.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2015, 08:05 AM
RE: divine inspiration, alright...
"For god so loved the world that he gave his only son, that whosoever believes in him, shall NOT PERISH, but will have EVERLASTING LIFE."
This simple statement refutes EVERYTHING that most christian groups (churches) teach. They teach; if you don't repent and accept JC, etc., etc,; you will NOT PERISH, but will go to hell and suffer for all eternity. They teach the exact opposite of what their bible states. Go figure..................
26-03-2015, 08:49 AM
(26-03-2015 07:50 AM)Gordon Blue Wrote:  What is your favorite bible passage (or any religious text) that is either so ridiculous or vulgar without contributing to the fuzzy aspects of that religion?
My favorite has to be Isaiah 16:11. My bowels have a habit of sounding like a harp, so i can kind of relate.

1st Samuel 25:22 (and several other places):

"So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall."

Evidently, they had homeless people in biblical times.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
26-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Tough call.... Ezekiel 4-12 & 13 are always fun

12 Eat the food as you would a loaf of barley bread; bake it in the sight of the people, using human excrement for fuel.
3 The LORD said, "In this way the people of Israel will eat defiled food among the nations where I will drive them."

And Genesis 24-2
He said to the senior servant in his household, the one in charge of all that he had, "Put your hand under my thigh."

Or Genesis 47-29
When the time drew near for Israel to die, he called for his son Joseph and said to him, "If I have found favor in your eyes, put your hand under my thigh and promise that you will show me kindness and faithfulness. Do not bury me in Egypt,

Or maybe Genesis 32-25
And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.

Lots of kinky stuff going on in those old books

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
26-03-2015, 09:52 AM
That one about slicing off a woman's hand if she tries to stop a fight between two men by grabbing one of their genitals.

It just makes makes you wonder if this was a thing that happened so often they needed a rule for it.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
26-03-2015, 10:30 AM
Judges 15: 3-5-

3 Samson said to them, “This time I have a right to get even with the Philistines; I will really harm them.”
4 So he went out and caught three hundred foxes and tied them tail to tail in pairs. He then fastened a torch to every pair of tails,
5 lit the torches and let the foxes loose in the standing grain of the Philistines. He burned up the shocks and standing grain, together with the vineyards and olive groves.

Apparently super strength wasn't his only power, he could run as fast as the Flash and talk to animals like Aquaman to get the foxes to come close to him to catch.

This is obviously a silly story, but you think about this in real terms. I live in a state where the fox is a native species, Oklahoma is quite a bit larger than Israel is. I travel extensively throughout the state for my job, and go hiking all over the state, I have only seen 1 fox in the wild on the side of the road during my years of travels across this state. What-the-actual-fuck? Go home bi-bull, you're drunk!

It's so telling of the bible's ridiculous exaggerations when you actually have first-hand knowledge about the outlandish claims that it always makes. Just this one ridiculous story is enough to make you distrust the whole thing, to realize how cavalier this book is with the truth.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
27-03-2015, 11:00 AM
Great responses.
it is pretty telling by the content of the bible that it has little to do with how things operate in the real world, or just how unnecessary most of what you read is for salvation. but still, the devout cling to the book like a turd that just won't wipe clean.
27-03-2015, 11:08 AM
I think it is especially interesting to note samson. was he a prophet? If he was he sure didn't act like one, or at least like the rest of them. what caused him to garner god's favor? What exactly does he add to the whole narrative and how does his story guide souls along the straigt and narrow?
27-03-2015, 11:33 AM
(27-03-2015 11:08 AM)Gordon Blue Wrote:  I think it is especially interesting to note samson. was he a prophet? If he was he sure didn't act like one, or at least like the rest of them. what caused him to garner god's favor? What exactly does he add to the whole narrative and how does his story guide souls along the straight and narrow?

He was a judge of Israel, apparently the Jews wanted their own version of Hercules, thus Samson was created. His hot temper obviously evokes Hercules' temper when he kills his wife and kids, thus beginning his twelve labors as penance for his deeds.
The bible even has Samson duplicating Hercules' first labor where Samson kills a lion.

I really don't know what Samson accomplished in terms of an overall biblical narrative other than killing a lot of Philistines. It looks like they just put him in there to have a legendary hero like Hercules, who was like the Superman of that day.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition