dnd statical player break down

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2017, 04:21 AM
RE: dnd statical player break down
(26-10-2017 04:16 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Oh I like the idea of an Orc bard! I only play the weirdest combinations I can find.

I've just started role playing again myself. Tonight will be my third game of DnD 5e. I've rolled a Lawful good noble halfling rogue assassin. She's a lot of fun because I've maxed out the charisma, talks with a terribly posh accent doncha know, she carries a hair pin in her hair which is used like a dagger and a strap around her upper thigh which is a sling. I prefer characters which don't look like a threat.

I'm not sure the rest of the team have figured out that she is an assassin yet and just assume that she is another thief.

I've also started playing Traveller using Gurps as the ship's mechanic. Everyone looked at me s if I was mad when I asked to be an octopus. But if you start from base principles then they why stick with a walking ape? An intelligent land octopus is ideal for a ship's mechanic.Tentacles to help it grab onto things, invertebrate meaning it can move into small spaces. I can also walk around without being noticed as I pretend to be someone's pet.

Just how does one square being Lawful Good with also being an assassin, one who obstinately receives money in exchange for the very illegal premeditated murder of specific individuals? Consider

I'm not saying it's impossible. Extra-legal assassins guilds, like Morrowind's Morag Tong, are not alien to fantasy. But those are structured within the legal system, and even then, I'm not sure they'd be happy with an assassin's own ethics getting in the way of a job.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2017, 04:39 AM
(26-10-2017 04:21 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Just how does one square being Lawful Good with also being an assassin, one who obstinately receives money in exchange for the very illegal premeditated murder of specific individuals? Consider

I'm not saying it's impossible. Extra-legal assassins guilds, like Morrowind's Morag Tong, are not alien to fantasy. But those are structured within the legal system, and even then, I'm not sure they'd be happy with an assassin's own ethics getting in the way of a job.

She doesn't see herself as an assassin. She sees herself as noble-born who was just particularly good at assassination classes at Mrs Underbarrow's finishing school for young halfling ladies. Mrs Underbarrow has always been insistent that young ladies need a well-rounded education to avoid becoming used as mere breeding stock in arranged marriages.

She thinks that everyone has their place in the system and her place is in making things run smoothly. With her maxed out charisma she spends a lot of time and effort trying to get to know everyone and bring out their best. Assassination for money is horrid, most distasteful and ugly, but a well accepted means amongst the noble classes if done for political gain or to self police a social strata that is often considered above the law. Often it is either this or the lower classes start a revolution and the system breaks down with anarchy which does no one any good.

She has a monster-sanctuary at home which acts as a useful way to farm poisons, and also a tourist attraction that brings money into the estate. She was introduced to the party where they have found her being forced to work in the kitchens of a cultist's castle after being caught hostage on an expedition to track down a black dragon's egg.

At the moment all she has on her is a tea-towel to wipe the blood off her hair pin before putting it back in her hair, a kitchen knife, her sling with 9 stale potatoes and lots of cooking oil.

Her modus operandi is to use deception, persuasion, charisma and sleight of hand to be accepted into the upper classes and perform assassinations on people who threaten the status quo.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
26-10-2017, 04:58 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2017 06:18 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(26-10-2017 04:39 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(26-10-2017 04:21 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Just how does one square being Lawful Good with also being an assassin, one who obstinately receives money in exchange for the very illegal premeditated murder of specific individuals? Consider

She doesn't see herself as an assassin. She sees herself as noble-born who was just particularly good at assassination classes at Mrs Underbarrow's finishing school for young halfling ladies. Mrs Underbarrow has always been insistent that young ladies need a well-rounded education to avoid becoming used as mere breeding stock in arranged marriages.

She thinks that everyone has their place in the system and her place is in making things run smoothly. With her maxed out charisma she spends a lot of time and effort trying to get to know everyone and bring out their best. Assassination for money is horrid, most distasteful and ugly, but a well accepted means amongst the noble classes if done for political gain or to self police a social strata that is often considered above the law. Often it is either this or the lower classes start a revolution and the system breaks down with anarchy which does no one any good.

She has a monster-sanctuary at home which acts as a useful way to farm poisons, and also a tourist attraction that brings money into the estate. She was introduced to the party where they have found her being forced to work in the kitchens of a cultist's castle after being caught hostage on an expedition to track down a black dragon's egg.

At the moment all she has on her is a tea-towel to wipe the blood off her hair pin before putting it back in her hair, a kitchen knife, her sling with 9 stale potatoes and lots of cooking oil.

Her modus operandi is to use deception, persuasion, charisma and sleight of hand to be accepted into the upper classes and perform assassinations on people who threaten the status quo.

Just one thing...

"Assassination for money is horrid, most distasteful and ugly, but a well accepted means amongst the noble classes if done for political gain or to self police a social strata that is often considered above the law."

For someone to take a Lawful alignment over Neutral require a commitment to the rule of law, and that bit is the bit that seems out of place. A once in a while extra-legal exception is one thing, but for one to be so comfortable with the idea of what is clearly illegal (even if socially acceptable) killing seems odd. Not that it can't happen, only that there's probably some cognitive dissonance going on there. I imagine that any Lawful Good aligned deity would not have a rosy appraisal of her actives and outlook.

Just take it for my own 2 cents, but I think dropping either the Lawful or the Good down to neutral might be more appropriate. Lawful Neutral is effectively the Morag Tong, the entirely legal and politically sanctioned guild of enforcers used by the ruling houses of Morrowind to enact retribution against one another (as a means of rectifying transgressions before they devolve into open conflict, by having a neutral 3rd party intervene; think of it like arbitration but with more death). Everything is legal, provided you follow the correct procedures as dictated by law and tradition. Morag Tong members seek to maintain tradition and stability through their judicial use of assassination, and their thoroughly integrated into the political fabric itself. They are not deceptive, they have offices and can easily be found when needed, because they are just another political apparatus of the state.

The other side would be dropping Good for Neutral. Even if you think that you actions are justified in that they serve the greater good, that your professed go-to solution is murder does not rightly mesh with that ethos. Sure, plenty of villeins think they're the hero, have their own justification; but it turns out that genocide and murder are generally frowned upon (even gods of war typically have prohibitions against needless slaughter). Again, to be Good within D&D is more than just a choice, it's a commitment; one that generally precludes being perfectly comfortable with premeditated extrajudicial killing. Most people are Neutral, even if they prefer living under the protection of the rule of law, enjoy traditions, and are generally decent people. Going beyond Neutral take commitment, a dedication to those values; generally Paladins are not Lawful good by accident. Again, you might even be able to make that stretch if working within a Morag Tong like structure, where you could more easily see your actions as being properly vetted by the government instead of being a lone actor or fugitive from the law.

So, not that it can't be done, but that it would require such a stretch for me personally that I couldn't claim to be Lawful Good in that setup with a straight face.

26-10-2017, 05:01 AM
(26-10-2017 12:37 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(25-10-2017 10:53 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  And yet, Orc Bards.

There's nothing stopping you from playing characters that are not min-maxed. Indeed if you want to have a fun time playing an off kilter character, playing against archetype is a great way to do that.

Even take said Orc Bard. Are they just an unusually charismatic orc, trying their best to be the inspiring musician, but constantly and tragically hamstrung by their own wanting personal charisma and societal animosity? Or are they a more tribal version, more akin to a skald? Those who are more suited to leading battles from the front, inspiring their warbands to victory? Either could be fun, depends on what you want to do with it.

An aasimar druid could be fun, but even that lacks the flair of playing against type. Being descended from good-aligned upper plane beings, playing to archetype is being good and devout themselves. Against type would be the inverse, being evil in the face of your natural inclination to good; so perhaps a fallen paladin or an assassin. But a druid? The neutrally aligned guardians of nature? That not for or against archetype, it's a side step that doesn't play into or against type. Nothing wrong with that, but it does lack an immediately identifiable character hook.

I put nothing close to this level of thought into my current character.

I'm literally just playing an autistic forester that knew little about the world outside the forest and ranger work... because I knew little. Rev'll tell back that up.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
26-10-2017, 06:19 AM
(26-10-2017 05:01 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I put nothing close to this level of thought into my current character.

That's a real shame FT, the well thought out ones tend to be the more memorable ones (for good or ill). Big Grin

26-10-2017, 06:29 AM
OK I get what you're saying EK about the difficulty of being lawful good and an assassin. I really want this to work though. What about she only assassinates if the law has sentenced someone to death but they are at large? Like a bounty hunter but she isn't doing it for the money but because she can and someone needs to. Normally though she looks after the estate and collects rare creatures. It's not like lawful good characters aren't allowed to kill enemies in combat, no one would play them otherwise, so it's not going to affect the game play. It's just backstory.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
26-10-2017, 08:05 AM
(26-10-2017 12:37 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(25-10-2017 10:53 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  And yet, Orc Bards.

There's nothing stopping you from playing characters that are not min-maxed. Indeed if you want to have a fun time playing an off kilter character, playing against archetype is a great way to do that.

Even take said Orc Bard. Are they just an unusually charismatic orc, trying their best to be the inspiring musician, but constantly and tragically hamstrung by their own wanting personal charisma and societal animosity? Or are they a more tribal version, more akin to a skald? Those who are more suited to leading battles from the front, inspiring their warbands to victory? Either could be fun, depends on what you want to do with it.

An aasimar druid could be fun, but even that lacks the flair of playing against type. Being descended from good-aligned upper plane beings, playing to archetype is being good and devout themselves. Against type would be the inverse, being evil in the face of your natural inclination to good; so perhaps a fallen paladin or an assassin. But a druid? The neutrally aligned guardians of nature? That not for or against archetype, it's a side step that doesn't play into or against type. Nothing wrong with that, but it does lack an immediately identifiable character hook.

I was inspired by that passage about natures god... lol..... can't remember now. but character hooks are up to the player aren't they.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
26-10-2017, 08:12 AM
I feel something emanating from this thread like radiation?

[Image: tumblr_lvpb2ty0z71qfr9vzo1_500.gif]
[Image: 5C4Shx2.jpg]

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
26-10-2017, 08:23 AM
(26-10-2017 08:12 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  I feel something emanating from this thread like radiation?

[Image: tumblr_lvpb2ty0z71qfr9vzo1_500.gif]
[Image: 5C4Shx2.jpg]
I get though that that wouldn't be optimal now.... lol.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
26-10-2017, 08:24 AM
(26-10-2017 06:19 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(26-10-2017 05:01 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I put nothing close to this level of thought into my current character.

That's a real shame FT, the well thought out ones tend to be the more memorable ones (for good or ill). Big Grin

It's not a bad character for his first time ever. The group we started with, that has since fallen down to just the 4 of us, his was at about the mid-level of backstory at the beginning.

EA has an elaborate backstory based on a love for the book she obsesses over "The King of the Bracelets" (a lord of the rings reference) and gets very annoyed whenever anyone refers to her rogue as anything but an expert treasure hunter.

Guley is playing the worst Dwarf ever. He flunked out of Mining school and then when he tried to be a gem carver he shattered a very expensive ruby. That got him kicked out of the Colony until he can find a way to pay it back.

I am playing a low level Associate Professor for the Balder's Gate Community School of Wizardry, currently on sabbatical, forced. He is in the cutting edge of Quantum magic, what the vulgar refer to as Wild Magic, and the stodgy administrators do not approve of this new fangled unpredictable magic. So when there was a slight mishap in a practical experiment and Prof Bryan turned himself blue permanently they sent him out on sabbatical for "field research" they said something about a stipend but it has yet to show up.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post