dnd statical player break down

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2017, 08:34 AM
RE: dnd statical player break down
(26-10-2017 06:19 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(26-10-2017 05:01 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I put nothing close to this level of thought into my current character.

That's a real shame FT, the well thought out ones tend to be the more memorable ones (for good or ill). Big Grin

I'll share my entire thought process in making my character:

I have never played a DnD game or anything like it before, so I should go simple.
Ranger seems interesting, I like ranged stealth stuff, a bit of operational independence form the party, but not too complex like a wizard.
I'll go human, since humans are basically universal; I can't human wrong.
My character will be ignorant as bricks initially about anything not directly related to the forest or hunting skills as he has never interacted with the world outside his podunk nowhere village and the surrounding woods, because I know nothing about the Forgotten Realms, so it covers for my ignorance. I'm not good with social cues, so I'll fold social ignorance into that, so he'll be kind of stand-offish to start.
Reflecting this I'll make him a moral blank slate to develop as things go.

Tadaa; my entire thought process. I specifically made the most malleable character I could think of because I was going in blind.

I have other vague ideas laid out for his successor that are far more rigid and defined, and he has changed to be less awkward as the adventure has progressed. I don't think I'll forget him for a while once the game is done.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
26-10-2017, 12:03 PM
(25-10-2017 09:50 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  D&D is not a free form system like Shadowrun,

I loved that game! The pen&paper, the Sega Genesis game, and the Super Nintendo game. Blush

[Image: fullcover.jpg]

Sega
[Image: 39058-Shadowrun_(USA)-1456380167.jpg]

Super Nintendo
[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Heart

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
26-10-2017, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2017 01:06 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(26-10-2017 06:29 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  OK I get what you're saying EK about the difficulty of being lawful good and an assassin. I really want this to work though. What about she only assassinates if the law has sentenced someone to death but they are at large? Like a bounty hunter but she isn't doing it for the money but because she can and someone needs to. Normally though she looks after the estate and collects rare creatures. It's not like lawful good characters aren't allowed to kill enemies in combat, no one would play them otherwise, so it's not going to affect the game play. It's just backstory.

Ultimately, what's acceptable is between you and your GM; I'm not here to dictate how anybody else enjoys their table top experience. I just have a very particular background with it, and I was more than happy to give my personal hot take on it, since I do enjoy talking shop about this stuff and it has been a long while since the last time I played myself.

If you take the Player's Handbook at face value, that an alignment is more than just a preference, then it's up to you how you square playing a self professed Assassin who morally and philosophically sits on the same page as your typical Paladin. Sure, there are going to be exceptions, and only the most strident of personal codes or knightly vows would have a zero-tolerance policy for failure to live up to perfection. But typically lawfully inclined warrior who are dedicated to a personal code of honor and are also in favor of premeditated murder are not Paladins, they're Blackguards.

Depending on your setting, think of the gods for guidance. Morality tends to be a lot more black and white in, say, the Forgotten Realms. There are literal gods of good and evil. So another thing to ask yourself is, do you think a Lawfully Good aligned deity would look favorably upon your character's outlook and actions? Because being a self professed Assassin is not a once in a while slip-up or step from grace. I mean, you can still think that you are generally a good person, that you are doing right by the greater good with your killings. But by resorting to murder to solve these problem, you are forfeiting the 'higher ground'. A Good aligned character would take other options available before assassination, especially for petty politics. A Lawful character would want to solve their problems through the legal system. To solve a political problem by killing the person responsible in cold blood, well, that's not typically something you'd associate with a Lawful or Good character. Sure, a Lawful Good character might commit such an act (and be ashamed of themselves for it and seek repentance for their failure), but not so a trained Assassin.

Now assassinations are not inherently unlawful, as I pointed out with my Morag Tong example to highlight another example in fantasy of just such a setup. But premeditated murder? I'm not sure you can square that circle. Ultimately it's up to you and your DM. I think that you could get away with a reasonably creative way to have a Lawful Neutral Assassin (who still thinks they are doing right by the greater good and feels personally justified in their actions), but I just do not think that Good and Assassin can survive together. One or the other must give. Or at least, that's how my old DM and crew would have rolled (no pun intended) on the matter. So take the perspective of an old Rules Lawyer for what it is; just the opinion of an old Rules Lawyer. All I can do is give you my best and honest opinion, but you should ultimately have fun playing how you and your group wants.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
26-10-2017, 01:00 PM
(26-10-2017 12:03 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(25-10-2017 09:50 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  D&D is not a free form system like Shadowrun,

I loved that game! The pen&paper, the Sega Genesis game, and the Super Nintendo game. Blush

[Image: fullcover.jpg]

Sega
[Image: 39058-Shadowrun_(USA)-1456380167.jpg]

Super Nintendo
[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Heart

You do know they're made 3 more of those recently, right? They're all available on PC too, and generally go for pretty cheap on Steam.

[Image: header.jpg?t=1466786598]

[Image: Shadowrun-Dragonfall-DC-01.png]

[Image: header.jpg?t=1454717774]

I literally just finsihed Dragonfall a few days ago, and started my way through Hong Kong. Been having a lot of fun with it, even if I'm mostly there for the story rather than the turn based combat.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
26-10-2017, 01:08 PM
(26-10-2017 08:34 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I'll go human, since humans are basically universal; I can't human wrong.

You so sure about that FT? Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post