do you sometimes think "screw it, i do as i please"?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-01-2013, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2013 05:13 PM by LadyJane.)
do you sometimes think "screw it, i do as i please"?
Why does anything matter in life, and why should we be "good" to others?

Who is to say it's "wrong" (lol.. this word should be exempted from the Queen's English) to not just attack a stranger for no reason? Or punch somebody walking towards you in a public place as hard as you can in his or her face?

Why is it "wrong" to kill, rape, torture, or any other so-called "bad" thing?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2013, 09:16 AM
RE: do you sometimes think "screw it, i do as i please"?
Still mindlessly trolling? This was just the next thing on your list of troll subjects?

You have already asked this question multiple times with only slightly altered phrasing. I'm not going to bother feeding this troll; just go read your other threads for the answers you don't care about anyway.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
08-01-2013, 09:49 AM
moral anomie is the norm.
20-01-2013, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2013 02:45 PM by Chaos.)
Well, if you have some personality disorders, anything is possible - from raping, to killing or bullying someone. I don't think someone who is mentally healthy and with a little empathy, would find pleasure in torturing others.
And we don't HAVE TO be good with others. I tend to be a little objectivist regarding this aspect. My philosophy of life is to do as I please , without being inconsiderate with others and without making compromises either.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
20-01-2013, 03:59 PM
We could actually turn this banned spam post into a discussion. Instead of an implication that atheists have no morals, let's look at it from the perspective of "do you ever just do what's best for you, regardless of the effect on those around you?" Because I think we all have that tribal "what's good for the group is good for the individual" thought process instilled in us. You make an attempt to not cause pain and suffering to your fellow man, and so you mostly do things that aren't necessarily optimal for you.

But every once in a while, do you just go "you know what? I'm tired of always looking out for others, I'm going to do this for myself, regardless of who is affected"?

My first thought of an example would be a mother would has given up smoking because her husband and kids don't like it and care about her health. But dammit, after the day she just had she owes it to herself to forsake their feelings just once.

Don't know. Trying to make a cake out of a pile of manure here.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
20-01-2013, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2013 05:02 PM by Chaos.)
There are other simple ways to release the anger inside you. Just go on a hill and start to yell all the trivialities and punch trees or something. Or become a singer and throw with shit in your fans, like GG Allin lol.

Now, why would somebody want to mess up with society? It is not good for anybody and you get in a lot of trouble for nothing.

20-01-2013, 05:06 PM
(20-01-2013 04:59 PM)Chaosss Wrote:  There are other simple ways to release the anger inside you. Just go on a hill and start to yell all the trivialities and punch trees or something. Or become a singer and throw with shit in your fans, like GG Allin lol.

Now, why would somebody want to mess up with society? It is not good for anybody and you get in a lot of trouble for nothing.

Lack of impulse control? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-01-2013, 05:06 PM
(20-01-2013 04:59 PM)Chaosss Wrote:  ...
punch trees or something.

And what, may I ask, have the trees ever done to you?

Anti-tree violence makes me sick. Trees have feelings too.

Hug a tree, today!

Hug

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
20-01-2013, 05:11 PM
I used to just do what suited me without regard for society. As a teen, I vandalized other peoples' property, I stole and shoplifted, I lied a lot. I never injured or killed people or anything that would have gotten me any real jail time, so I guess my community sense wasn't entirely defective.

I think I outgrew this kind of behavior right around my early 20's, maybe around the age of 21-22. I certainly cannot think of a time I did anything specifically antisocial or illegal since then. I didn't start having a family until several years later so I cannot blame transitioning from a single guy to a family guy for my social evolution.

Maybe it was just because that's the time in all of our lifespans when our brain finishes developing. Before the age of 22, give or take a bit, our brain is still developing, particularly in the higher functions like advanced decision making. I'm sure a neuro-scientist could be way more specific than I am here. But maybe my poor judgment about selfish vs. selfless behavior was just a byproduct of not having a fully developed brain yet.

Maybe that's a part of why kids/teens/young adults are much more likely, at least in my experience, to be total jerks than adults are - even when we look at the same person as a teen and then as an adult, most of them were much more of a jerk as a teen (I sure was). And then there are some who are jerks even as adults.

Makes me wonder if some brain studies can be done to see if that final higher order brain development is missing from some people, or is it something else more personality than physiology?

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
20-01-2013, 06:05 PM
(20-01-2013 05:11 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Makes me wonder if some brain studies can be done to see if that final higher order brain development is missing from some people, or is it something else more personality than physiology?
I think it depends on genetics and environment. The chemical changes in the brain may also affect someone's behavior but - as Chas said, some people may lack impulse control, others may lack empathy (e.g. psychopaths), reason why some murderers commit horrible crimes without thinking too much about consequences or feel guilty for their acts.
Even if morality is a subjective matter, that doesn't make an immoral act, more moral.
And it seems - to me - that evolution does not favor the bold anymore, but the wiser more. Maybe I am wrong.