do you sometimes think "screw it, i do as i please"?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
20-01-2013, 06:07 PM
RE: do you sometimes think "screw it, i do as i please"?
(20-01-2013 05:06 PM)DLJ Wrote:  And what, may I ask, have the trees ever done to you?

Anti-tree violence makes me sick. Trees have feelings too.

Hug a tree, today!

Hug
I have nothing with the damn trees lol. I would surely love a tree more than a human being. Trees are very tolerant Drinking Beverage

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chaos's post
20-01-2013, 09:47 PM
"As a teen, I vandalized other peoples' property, I stole and shoplifted, I lied a lot"

What was your experience with people respecting your property when you were a child?

"I think I outgrew this kind of behavior right around my early 20's, maybe around the age of 21-22."

What other major life changes did you make at about that same time?

"But maybe my poor judgment about selfish vs. selfless behavior was just a byproduct of not having a fully developed brain yet."

Brain development is done by about age twenty five. If selfish behavior is caused by underdeveloped brains, shouldn't all people in their early twenties be stealing? Or, at least, majority of them?

"Makes me wonder if some brain studies can be done to see if that final
higher order brain development is missing from some people, or is it
something else more personality than physiology?"

There are mountains of studies showing that brain development is seriously impacted due to early childhood trauma. Moreover, there have been thousands of violent criminals, despots and other such immoral individuals studied and/or interviewed. I've not read of one who didn't suffer childhood trauma to one degree or another. These traumas cause arrested development of a number of areas of the prefrontal cortex and they affect the individual's ability to reason as well as heightening the fight or flight reflex. Of course, there are genetic markers for abnormalities like sociopathy and psychopathy but if an individual who has these markers is raised in a peaceful environment, they do not become socio/psychopaths.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-01-2013, 10:45 PM
''THERE IS NO SUCH THING THAT IS GOOD OR BAD..IS JUST PEOPLE MIND THAT THINK DIFFERENT''..which way will please you most that is your choice.

''Just saying O.o''

Angel oi
20-01-2013, 10:50 PM
(20-01-2013 10:45 PM)Lalida Wrote:  ''THERE IS NO SUCH THING THAT IS GOOD OR BAD..IS JUST PEOPLE MIND THAT THINK DIFFERENT''..which way will please you most that is your choice.

''Just saying O.o''
Many would disagree with you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-01-2013, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2013 12:13 AM by Lalida.)
(20-01-2013 10:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-01-2013 10:45 PM)Lalida Wrote:  ''THERE IS NO SUCH THING THAT IS GOOD OR BAD..IS JUST PEOPLE MIND THAT THINK DIFFERENT''..which way will please you most that is your choice.

''Just saying O.o''

Many would disagree with you.

I know. But is ok ..I think only me that get the point .. thats why i say just sayingSleepy

Angel oi
21-01-2013, 03:59 AM
(20-01-2013 09:47 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  "As a teen, I vandalized other peoples' property, I stole and shoplifted, I lied a lot"

What was your experience with people respecting your property when you were a child?

"I think I outgrew this kind of behavior right around my early 20's, maybe around the age of 21-22."

What other major life changes did you make at about that same time?

"But maybe my poor judgment about selfish vs. selfless behavior was just a byproduct of not having a fully developed brain yet."

Brain development is done by about age twenty five. If selfish behavior is caused by underdeveloped brains, shouldn't all people in their early twenties be stealing? Or, at least, majority of them?

"Makes me wonder if some brain studies can be done to see if that final
higher order brain development is missing from some people, or is it
something else more personality than physiology?"

There are mountains of studies showing that brain development is seriously impacted due to early childhood trauma. Moreover, there have been thousands of violent criminals, despots and other such immoral individuals studied and/or interviewed. I've not read of one who didn't suffer childhood trauma to one degree or another. These traumas cause arrested development of a number of areas of the prefrontal cortex and they affect the individual's ability to reason as well as heightening the fight or flight reflex. Of course, there are genetic markers for abnormalities like sociopathy and psychopathy but if an individual who has these markers is raised in a peaceful environment, they do not become socio/psychopaths.
Nope, nothing like that. I never had any issues with people disrespecting my property as a child, I didn't have any life-changing events that spurred my emergence into responsible adulthood, and I was stealing (no longer vandalizing) into my early 20s, but I outgrew it a few years before 25 - maybe just the part that didn't want to steal anymore finished growing around then?

Seriously, I dunno what age brains develop. 22, 25, whatever. I didn't have any childhood trauma. Just a happy white kid in suburban California with a nurse mom and a computer programmer dad and nothing, ever, to complain about. I can't even complain about the trauma of religious indoctrination as a child since I didn't even have to deal with that crap.

I guess I don't exactly fit the model. I was selfish, didn't mind dipping my fingers into the till now and then, but eventually I did mind. No reason. Just more maturity I guess.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
21-01-2013, 04:02 AM
(20-01-2013 11:58 PM)Lalida Wrote:  I know. But is ok ..I think only me that get the point .. thats why i say just sayingSleepy

I get you, and I agree. Even when people, say, donate to charity, they're doing it because it makes them feel good to do it, it feels right to them. Everything we do is just because it feels right to us. But, behaving responsibly in society usually feels right to most of us, most of the time. That's a good thing. Society without that would be, well, vexatious.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
21-01-2013, 04:19 AM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2013 04:25 AM by Vera.)
(21-01-2013 04:02 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I get you, and I agree. Even when people, say, donate to charity, they're doing it because it makes them feel good to do it, it feels right to them. Everything we do is just because it feels right to us. But, behaving responsibly in society usually feels right to most of us, most of the time. That's a good thing. Society without that would be, well, vexatious.
Excuse me, but I've heard this before and it was just as badly substantiated. Yeah, a lot of people give because it makes them feel good (I still do not see what so wrong with that, but never mind). What about people who go work in orphanages, or with HIV positive kids in the middle of a war-torn and famine infested area, and are surrounded by so much suffering and horrors, that we cannot imagine, yet they stay on; Médecins Sans Frontières; people who go to Pakistan to do polio vaccines, only to be shot by militants? Yeah, there are a lot of selfish people who can't see beyond their own gratification. And there are a lot who can and/or who derive pleasure from helping those who truly need help and easing the suffering of others. So please, do not belittle the lives and efforts of those, just because "it gives them pleasure" or because we do not all do it.

If this is selfishness, I strongly prefer it to the selfishness that leads one to thinking it's all about them, that their interests always com first or that everybody is like them.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
21-01-2013, 04:19 AM
(21-01-2013 03:59 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  ...
I guess I don't exactly fit the model. I was selfish, didn't mind dipping my fingers into the till now and then, but eventually I did mind. No reason. Just more maturity I guess.

Can you 'find' me a bike?

Thumbsup

21-01-2013, 04:26 AM
(21-01-2013 04:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(21-01-2013 03:59 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  ...

Can you 'find' me a bike?

Thumbsup
Not anymore, dude; that ship sailed more than 2 decades ago. I might lend you the cash for one though, if you promise to pay me back.

[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post