documented out of body experience...?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2014, 06:27 PM
documented out of body experience...?
Very interesting study actually. Not sure what I think yet, but very interesting.

http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/1...00070/full

First paragraph from link...

The present single-case study examined functional brain imaging patterns in a participant that reported being able, at will, to produce somatosensory sensations that are experienced as her body moving outside the boundaries of her physical body all the while remaining aware of her unmoving physical body. We found that the brain functional changes associated with the reported extra-corporeal experience (ECE) were different than those observed in motor imagery. Activations were mainly left-sided and involved the left supplementary motor area and supramarginal and posterior superior temporal gyri, the last two overlapping with the temporal parietal junction that has been associated with out-of-body experiences. The cerebellum also showed activation that is consistent with the participant’s report of the impression of movement during the ECE. There was also left middle and superior orbital frontal gyri activity, regions often associated with action monitoring. The results suggest that the ECE reported here represents an unusual type of kinesthetic imagery.

Consider Blink

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2014, 06:46 PM
RE: documented out of body experience...?
I have had out of body experiences.

There are exercises you can do which help achieve OBE's.

I once also took Galantamine & various B vitamins + Nicotine patch and had the wildest night ever - flying, OBE's, meeting angels and lucid dreaming so powerful that I could literally not tell if the experience was veridical or not. Seriously like Decartes demon on steroids.

If I had no neuroscience education or critical reasoning skills, philosophical understanding and a dose of skepticism I would probably have converted to some weird religion !

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 3 users Like Baruch's post
25-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Personally I think OBE's are just a form of lucid dreaming.

I tried desperately to "validate" the OBE's as genuine non local perception (eg a soul leaving the body) by verifying something I could not know eg going to a location to see something otherwise non known and then check the next morning if it was a "true" case of a soul leaving the body.

....and

I failed dismally. I have no soul ! Its been snatched !

David Hume

[+] 3 users Like Baruch's post
25-08-2014, 07:57 PM
(25-08-2014 06:51 PM)Baruch Wrote:  Pedrsonally I think OBE's are just a form of lucid dreaming.

I tried desperately to "validate" the OBE's as genuine non local perception (eg a soul leaving the body) by verifying something I could not know eg going to a location to see something otherwise non known and then check the next morning if it was a "true" case of a soul leaving the body.

....and

Or you never had one being as how you are demon spawn. Rolleyes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
26-08-2014, 07:34 AM
(25-08-2014 07:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-08-2014 06:51 PM)Baruch Wrote:  Pedrsonally I think OBE's are just a form of lucid dreaming.

....and

Or you never had one being as how you are demon spawn. Rolleyes

Nah, I stole it. $10,000 if you want it back, punk!Laugh out load

On a more serious note, I'd like to see if the young woman could "see" something in the room that had been deliberately changed early on in her OBE and could not otherwise be seen. Something large and noticeable, and unexpected - like a large picture of, say, a Mountie in the MRI room!!!! How many of those do you see? Position the picture in a place where it won't be visible to the young woman while she's in the scanner and hide it behind a screen until the young woman is positioned. Nursing staff then remove the screen. There appears to be something going on in her brain which she describes as "out of body". But if she could supply that sort of information, then THAT would be interesting. This would have the advantages over Baruch's validation attempts in that 1) it is pre-planned 2) it's objective 3) it is immediate and can't be missed if there really is an out of body experience 4) it's easy to do.

GWG, that's a really interesting article. Thanks for posting it.
[+] 2 users Like jockmcdock's post
26-08-2014, 08:31 AM
(26-08-2014 07:34 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(25-08-2014 07:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Or you never had one being as how you are demon spawn. Rolleyes

On a more serious note, I'd like to see if the young woman could "see" something in the room that had been deliberately changed early on in her OBE and could not otherwise be seen. Something large and noticeable, and unexpected - like a large picture of, say, a Mountie in the MRI room!!!! How many of those do you see? Position the picture in a place where it won't be visible to the young woman while she's in the scanner and hide it behind a screen until the young woman is positioned. Nursing staff then remove the screen. There appears to be something going on in her brain which she describes as "out of body". But if she could supply that sort of information, then THAT would be interesting. This would have the advantages over Baruch's validation attempts in that 1) it is pre-planned 2) it's objective 3) it is immediate and can't be missed if there really is an out of body experience 4) it's easy to do.

Yeah I found it interesting as well, I always waved aside these things as BS or someone with some serious mental issues or on some really good drugs....perhaps there is more to it. I like learning stuff Drooling

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
26-08-2014, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2014 12:30 PM by TheInquisition.)
Quote:This is the first study with a non-pathological participant who is able to elicit an ECE upon demand.

Hmmm, that would be a problem. It looks like all they did was verify altered brain activity during an ECE.

They should put 3-4 cards behind a visual barrier in the room that could only be viewed from a large height, a person capable of really achieving an OBE should be able to read these cards and give an accurate description of the numbers or shapes on the cards.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
26-08-2014, 02:04 PM
(26-08-2014 07:34 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(25-08-2014 07:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Or you never had one being as how you are demon spawn. Rolleyes

These experiments have been done with OBE's related to Near Death Experiences [NDE] by putting cards with some information/symbols on a ceiling ledge inaccessible to anyone else and randomized in a way to avoid tampering. Only is a 'soul' rises above the body could the cards be verified and objectively proved it is a actual entity leaving the body & not imagination.

see
http://drpennysartori.wordpress.com/2011...-research/

...results so far = FAIL TO IDENTIFY anything hidden, now there is a surprise - but there is a caveat 'this is difficult research and might take 20yrs'.

But the experience is genuine. I know so because I have had them.

David Hume

27-08-2014, 05:44 AM
(26-08-2014 02:04 PM)Baruch Wrote:  
(26-08-2014 07:34 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Nah, I stole it. $10,000 if you want it back, punk!Laugh out load

These experiments have been done with OBE's related to Near Death Experiences [NDE] by putting cards with some information/symbols on a ceiling ledge inaccessible to anyone else and randomized in a way to avoid tampering. Only is a 'soul' rises above the body could the cards be verified and objectively proved it is a actual entity leaving the body & not imagination.

see
http://drpennysartori.wordpress.com/2011...-research/

...results so far = FAIL TO IDENTIFY anything hidden, now there is a surprise - but there is a caveat 'this is difficult research and might take 20yrs'.

But the experience is genuine. I know so because I have had them.

I had an OBE once before, even had limited success in initiating one. I wish I could control it well enough to run an experiment to determine if it was an effect that manifested in the real world or just a state of mind, only internal to one's self. There's a hell of a lot of implications if it is external to the mind.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
27-08-2014, 06:10 AM
(25-08-2014 06:46 PM)Baruch Wrote:  I have had out of body experiences.

There are exercises you can do which help achieve OBE's.

I once also took Galantamine & various B vitamins + Nicotine patch and had the wildest night ever - flying, OBE's, meeting angels and lucid dreaming so powerful that I could literally not tell if the experience was veridical or not. Seriously like Decartes demon on steroids.

If I had no neuroscience education or critical reasoning skills, philosophical understanding and a dose of skepticism I would probably have converted to some weird religion !

Could you list exactly what you took and the dosages?
I'm um...writing a paper, yea that's it, I'm writing a paper. Unsure
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post