does it really matter?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2013, 06:06 PM
does it really matter?
does god exist? yes? no? i dont know and i really dont care. im pretty sure a theistic god doesnt exist. those ancient books are humans first attempt to explain shit and an attempt(one that is largely successful) to control others. a deistic god i can understand although i reject that idea as well. im sure anyone who is rational knows that explaining things with god doesnt explain anything. so god is pointless in science.
the thing for me is that if god is real and he really loves us then he would not care if we believe in him. wouldnt he be concerned only with how we treat each other. i find that athiests in general are good people and i find that alot of religious people are just assholes. if there is a heaven then id bet its full of atheists.that and other reasonably good people. and hell is full of religious people who justified horrible things in the name of their god. that and other shitty people. if god is real and none of what ive said is true than fuck him. he is an asshole and i dont want anything to do with him.
does god exist? it doesnt matter. all that matters is how we treat each other.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
06-03-2013, 06:09 PM
RE: does it really matter?
i will piont out that having the god discussion with open minded people is fun but frustrating when having it with close minded people. im sure most of you know that though..
06-03-2013, 06:12 PM
No, DrunkenDruid, it really doesn't.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
06-03-2013, 06:16 PM
(06-03-2013 06:06 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  does god exist? it doesnt matter. all that matters is how we treat each other.

This would make you an "apatheist". I won't live that way. As long as Christian beliefs influence our society and its rules (such as making homosexual marriage illegal or putting intelligent design in the science curriculum) I will continue to care about whether or not people believe in God... at least fundamentally. Moderate/liberal Christians don't push these agendas, so in their case I don't really mind their belief. Still, I'd prefer to discuss truth over fiction.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
06-03-2013, 06:37 PM
The existence or non-existence doesn't matter. I agree with you on that, but the belief in the existence without any evidence DOES matter.
It matters because you have a group of people who aren't using reason or rational thought. This matters.
It matters because they vote. It matters because they can enact legislation that affects us all.
It matters like the spread of a harmful virus matters.

When you spread irrationality and imaginary creatures into a superstitious culture, you get nothing but trouble.

So yes, it does matter.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
06-03-2013, 07:11 PM
(06-03-2013 06:37 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  When you spread irrationality and imaginary creatures into a superstitious culture, you get nothing but trouble.

I like it. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-03-2013, 07:11 PM
(06-03-2013 06:37 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The existence or non-existence doesn't matter. I agree with you on that, but the belief in the existence without any evidence DOES matter.
It matters because you have a group of people who aren't using reason or rational thought. This matters.
It matters because they vote. It matters because they can enact legislation that affects us all.

When you spread irrationality and imaginary creatures into a superstitious culture, you get nothing but trouble.

So yes, it does matter.

Fair enough, Rahn and Starcrash, fair enough. ... Think those people are dying off, though, so it's only a temporary problem. I don't see any hint of it in my 20-something children's generation. The death throes may be violent, but they are in the end just death throes.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
06-03-2013, 07:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 07:26 PM by Drunkin Druid.)
(06-03-2013 06:16 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(06-03-2013 06:06 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  does god exist? it doesnt matter. all that matters is how we treat each other.

This would make you an "apatheist". I won't live that way. As long as Christian beliefs influence our society and its rules (such as making homosexual marriage illegal or putting intelligent design in the science curriculum) I will continue to care about whether or not people believe in God... at least fundamentally. Moderate/liberal Christians don't push these agendas, so in their case I don't really mind their belief. Still, I'd prefer to discuss truth over fiction.
homosexual marriage has much to do with how we treat each other. doesnt it? im saying how we treat people is whats important.at any rate i live in Canada so im not to worried about homosexual marriage being illegal or intelligent design in schools.
i guess that Canadians have a differant perspective than Americans(i assume you are American). or maybe its just me? you see ive never really came across any fundies. every believer i know is a moderate and they seem to care less about god than i do. i must also say that im talking about the existance of god not religion. religion is the problem.
06-03-2013, 07:23 PM
(06-03-2013 06:37 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The existence or non-existence doesn't matter. I agree with you on that, but the belief in the existence without any evidence DOES matter.

So yes, it does matter.
again i think these problems stem from religion, not nessasarily the existance of god. the things you are concerned with dissapears if the believer is a deist and/or if a person is only concerned with how others are treated.
06-03-2013, 07:29 PM
(06-03-2013 07:17 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(06-03-2013 06:16 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  This would make you an "apatheist". I won't live that way. As long as Christian beliefs influence our society and its rules (such as making homosexual marriage illegal or putting intelligent design in the science curriculum) I will continue to care about whether or not people believe in God... at least fundamentally. Moderate/liberal Christians don't push these agendas, so in their case I don't really mind their belief. Still, I'd prefer to discuss truth over fiction.
homosexual marriage has much to do with how we treat each other. doesnt it? im saying how we treat people is whats important.at any rate i live in Canada so im not to worried about homosexual marriage being illegal or intelligent design in schools.
i guess that Canadians have a differant perspective than Americans(i assume you are American). or maybe its just me? you see ive never really came across any fundies. every believer i know is a moderate and they seem to care less about god than i do. i must also say that im talking about the existance of god not religion. religion is the problem.
Fundamentally, religion isn't the problem. It's just a by product of irrational thinking. Thus, irrational thinking is the problem. After all, it doesn't matter if a guy blows himself up because he thinks religion told him to or because he thinks he's saving society from swine flu. The problem is his irrational thought process and the result is the same.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like bbeljefe's post