does it really matter?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2013, 11:00 PM
RE: does it really matter?
(06-03-2013 07:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Think those people are dying off, though, so it's only a temporary problem.

Agreed. I think liberalism is the direction that Christianity is taking. Just as Mormonism has moved away from its blatant racism, the church has an embarrassing past (such as being okay with slavery) that it's moving away from. Denial of evolution is the next embarrassment to ditch, as well as their homophobia and hatred of contraception.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2013, 11:02 PM
(06-03-2013 07:29 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Fundamentally, religion isn't the problem. It's just a by product of irrational thinking. Thus, irrational thinking is the problem. After all, it doesn't matter if a guy blows himself up because he thinks religion told him to or because he thinks he's saving society from swine flu. The problem is his irrational thought process and the result is the same.
I wish there was a mega-like button. I'd press it! If only more people identified the real culprit as irrational thinking...

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
06-03-2013, 11:07 PM
(06-03-2013 07:29 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(06-03-2013 07:17 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  homosexual marriage has much to do with how we treat each other. doesnt it? im saying how we treat people is whats important.at any rate i live in Canada so im not to worried about homosexual marriage being illegal or intelligent design in schools.
i guess that Canadians have a differant perspective than Americans(i assume you are American). or maybe its just me? you see ive never really came across any fundies. every believer i know is a moderate and they seem to care less about god than i do. i must also say that im talking about the existance of god not religion. religion is the problem.
Fundamentally, religion isn't the problem. It's just a by product of irrational thinking. Thus, irrational thinking is the problem. After all, it doesn't matter if a guy blows himself up because he thinks religion told him to or because he thinks he's saving society from swine flu. The problem is his irrational thought process and the result is the same.
Correct, but religion is of particular importance because of how pervasive it is and how much leeway is given to it.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
06-03-2013, 11:12 PM
(06-03-2013 11:07 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(06-03-2013 07:29 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Fundamentally, religion isn't the problem. It's just a by product of irrational thinking. Thus, irrational thinking is the problem. After all, it doesn't matter if a guy blows himself up because he thinks religion told him to or because he thinks he's saving society from swine flu. The problem is his irrational thought process and the result is the same.
Correct, but religion is of particular importance because of how pervasive it is and how much leeway is given to it.
Religion has nowhere near the power that government wields.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
06-03-2013, 11:14 PM
(06-03-2013 11:12 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(06-03-2013 11:07 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Correct, but religion is of particular importance because of how pervasive it is and how much leeway is given to it.
Religion has nowhere near the power that government wields.
Good point, although most people would argue that some form of government is a necessary evil if we wish for society to exist Consider

[Image: giphy.gif]
06-03-2013, 11:17 PM
(06-03-2013 11:12 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Religion has nowhere near the power that government wields.
Yes and no. Churches, in most democratic societies, do not write the laws. Churches do, however, sway public opinion and thus hold power over what laws get passed. In America, the health reform mandate from 2008 had difficulty passing because of church resistance to the health insurance passage that required them to offer birth control.

And outside of America, there are countries in which the church does write the laws. Saudi Arabia and Iran come to mind.

[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
06-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Both good points Tartarus and Starcrash. However, it isn't a question of whether government is or is not necessary and it isn't a question of whether religious people influence legislation.

From a psychological standpoint, it is irrational thinking that causes both religious and secular government legislation and government, regardless of the intermediary motivation for its action, has more power than religion and thus, is more dangerous to humanity.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
07-03-2013, 06:43 AM
(06-03-2013 11:27 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  From a psychological standpoint, it is irrational thinking that ... has more power than religion and thus, is more dangerous to humanity.
Only if irrational thinkers make up the majority... and granted, I think they do. How would you go about changing this?

07-03-2013, 07:25 AM
You are correct, how we treat each other is what really matters. And so the problem arises when people treat each other badly under the pretext of a god or a god's teachings.

So yeah the question of whether there is some unspecified god out there is unimportant to me.
07-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Quote:does god exist? it doesnt matter. all that matters is how we treat each other.
What do you mean? From a naturalist's perspective, I can treat you as food if it helps me survive.