does life have meaning? does science have meaning?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2013, 10:40 AM
RE: does life have meaning? does science have meaning?
Life has no planned or standard meaning. The only meaning my life has is meaning I place on it.

Science is to learn about this madness happening briefly around us and to better life and enjoyment for those that come to use it in the future and when I and the rest of us are gone. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
07-07-2013, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 11:28 AM by absols.)
(07-07-2013 02:04 AM)I and I Wrote:  Does science give meaning to life? If one believes that life can be explained as just collections of molecules with no meaning in its assemblages then wouldn't that also go for scientists and everything else that we call "truth" "fact" ? Science today is a huge contradiction, it says that life is just a collection of molecules with no grand meaning, yet it spends billions of dollars on research. What are they looking for? What is their research going towards?

Science is so close to religion yet it is in constant denial of this closeness, they both are the excrement of humanity.

sciences means money business so is life

wht is life u see other then chemical reactions ends and its possible creation of smthg else

it is a world of opportunity while conscious is what smtimes seem to ask smthg else

mayb bc conscious is intelligent and the most constant independant so it lean to criticize when it sees that positive is not true so try to mean smthg else possible too

but there is no miracles this is it from the start, life of opportunities

from my humble opinion, existence is not to mess with so easily it is a serious thing

constancy cant b changed constantly for new positive illusions, this has an end of course

so opportunities stop being that when they show their limits, and then only what is interested in inferior dirt is what sees opportunity to live through while the most dirt it is accepted the more it could then become the constant existence end
07-07-2013, 11:51 AM
(07-07-2013 10:05 AM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 02:04 AM)I and I Wrote:  Does science give meaning to life? If one believes that life can be explained as just collections of molecules with no meaning in its assemblages then wouldn't that also go for scientists and everything else that we call "truth" "fact" ? Science today is a huge contradiction, it says that life is just a collection of molecules with no grand meaning, yet it spends billions of dollars on research. What are they looking for? What is their research going towards?

Science is so close to religion yet it is in constant denial of this closeness, they both are the excrement of humanity.

Scientists are not trying to find the meaning of life.

Scientists are trying to find more about our origins and our place in the universe, out of a thing called curiosity.

You must be really stupid if you can't see where curiosity has led us.

Their research is going towards the advancement of society for the good of the people, and it would be a better world if people could recognize that.

You must be stupid if you think that pointing out the philosophical problems of science means that one is against curiosity.

"The good of the people". " our place in the universe" this is the same as saying life has a meaning, and those are the meanings of life.

I am not arguing for or against the idea of a meaning to life, I am simply pointing out the contradiction of science. Science states that we are just a collection of molecules and nothing more and that we are the result of nothing but randomness, with no meaning behind it all.
07-07-2013, 11:53 AM
(07-07-2013 10:40 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Life has no planned or standard meaning. The only meaning my life has is meaning I place on it.

Science is to learn about this madness happening briefly around us and to better life and enjoyment for those that come to use it in the future and when I and the rest of us are gone. Smile

I agree with you that meaning is placed on life by humans.
07-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Science doesn't state anything, it just shows you how things unfolded. Humans, being evolved beyond the rest of earth's creatures intelligence wise, have the ability to give their life meaning. Whether it be through their family, profession, etc. For me I feel we as a human species have the power to continue to accomplish amazing things, and becoming a teacher and a life long learner was my way of giving meaning to my life and how I look at the world. You don't need religion to give meaning, nor blame science for a lack of meaning. Meaning comes from each individual person in regards to their own lives.

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."
[+] 1 user Likes AtheistTeacher's post
07-07-2013, 12:11 PM
I'm glad there is no standard meaning.

I'd hate to have to live to someone elses standards. My life is mine, it -should- be up to me what happens with my story.

*Edit* Of course If Tolkien were alive....Id let him tell me what to do. If god had been him. I would worship....the holy book would certainly be better (If you've read the Silmarillion...you'll know this to be true Tongue)
07-07-2013, 12:23 PM
(07-07-2013 12:11 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'm glad there is no standard meaning.

I'd hate to have to live to someone elses standards. My life is mine, it -should- be up to me what happens with my story.

*Edit* Of course If Tolkien were alive....Id let him tell me what to do. If god had been him. I would worship....the holy book would certainly be better (If you've read the Silmarillion...you'll know this to be true Tongue)

You do of course realise that Tolkien was a devout Catholic and the creation story in the Silmarillion is a retelling of genesis. The more I read of his actual life (there is a fantastic biography of him) the more I suspect that he may have been a deeply closeted homosexual, it would explain all the bromance going on in his works and why women of great and stunning beauty are never actually described. Either way he is one of the best fantasy writers of all time.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
07-07-2013, 12:26 PM
(07-07-2013 12:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 12:11 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'm glad there is no standard meaning.

You do of course realise that Tolkien was a devout Catholic and the creation story in the Silmarillion is a retelling of genesis. The more I read of his actual life (there is a fantastic biography of him) the more I suspect that he may have been a deeply closeted homosexual, it would explain all the bromance going on in his works and why women of great and stunning beauty are never actually described. Either way he is one of the best fantasy writers of all time.

He was deeply in love with his wife and you know what Tolkien said of Allegory.
07-07-2013, 12:30 PM
(07-07-2013 12:26 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 12:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You do of course realise that Tolkien was a devout Catholic and the creation story in the Silmarillion is a retelling of genesis. The more I read of his actual life (there is a fantastic biography of him) the more I suspect that he may have been a deeply closeted homosexual, it would explain all the bromance going on in his works and why women of great and stunning beauty are never actually described. Either way he is one of the best fantasy writers of all time.

He was deeply in love with his wife and you know what Tolkien said of Allegory.

Indeed he was, but they also spent the better part of 40 years sleeping in separate rooms and he tended to spend far more time with his circle of male friends , the inklings, than with his wife. It might have been deep enough that even he wasn't aware of it, but again it is just a suspicion and not meant to disparage him in any way.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
07-07-2013, 12:34 PM
My grandparents loved each other deeply as well, and had seperate rooms.

Writing and languages were his first love. Had been since childhood. I wouldnt doubt that. I'm sure it had more to do with that then the fact it was men in the group *women writers not being nearly as common or respected back then I'm sure*

And at the end of the day who cares if he was gay. His writing is fantastic and his moral compass in the stories are far superior to the bibles, which was my point. Smile