does life have meaning? does science have meaning?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2013, 07:14 AM
RE: does life have meaning? does science have meaning?
(26-07-2013 12:44 AM)I and I Wrote:  So....... We are just a collection of molecules AND there are grand answers that are out there for us to discover? Contradiction

How is human experience reduced to "just a collection of molecules". What Scientist has ever made such a claim?

Good question.

Maybe you should have looked that up before you claimed it.

(07-07-2013 02:04 AM)I and I Wrote:  Science today ... says that life is just a collection of molecules...

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2013, 09:33 AM
(26-07-2013 07:14 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 12:44 AM)I and I Wrote:  So....... We are just a collection of molecules AND there are grand answers that are out there for us to discover? Contradiction

How is human experience reduced to "just a collection of molecules". What Scientist has ever made such a claim?

Good question.

Maybe you should have looked that up before you claimed it.

(07-07-2013 02:04 AM)I and I Wrote:  Science today ... says that life is just a collection of molecules...

I was quoting a poster on this thread that made the claim that "we are just a collection of molecules", then I asked him what scientist has made such a claim. Funny how you left that part out to make my post seem very different.
26-07-2013, 09:36 AM
(26-07-2013 07:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 12:44 AM)I and I Wrote:  Woo Woo
So....... We are just a collection of molecules AND there are grand answers that are out there for us to discover? Contradiction

We are highly ordered, highly unlikely, highly contingent survival machines made up of molecules, structures, cells, organs, ...

Humans have fingers-correct statement.
Humans are just a collection of fingers-false statement.

A dog has fur-correct statement.
A dog is just a collection of hair-false statement.

The laughable armchair forum scientist reductionist bullshit is not science and no scientist ever makes such claims.

I thought you guys were into science.
26-07-2013, 09:58 AM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2013 10:27 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Reductio ad absurdam argument.
Fallacy of the False Analogy.

No Neuro-scientist says brain structures and functions are "just a collection of molecules". Neuro-science does assume that human experience can be explained by understanding how the physical structures and processes in the brain work. No Neuro-scientist says anything about human experience is explained by fingers or any such bullshit.

Anyway, I and I should know by now, everything is explained by one thing alone

COCK

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

26-07-2013, 10:02 AM
(26-07-2013 09:58 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Reductio ad absurdam argument.
Fallacy of the False Analogy.

No Neuro-scientist says brain structures and functions are "just a collection of molecules". Neuro-science does assume that human experience can be explained by understanding how the physical structures and processes in the brain work. No Neuro-scientist says anything about human experience is explained by fingers or any such bullshit.

Anyway, I and I should know by now, everything is explained by one thimg alone

COCK

Not that old, tired argument. You are so wrong.

Boobs

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-07-2013, 10:24 AM
(26-07-2013 09:33 AM)I and I Wrote:  I was quoting a poster on this thread that made the claim that "we are just a collection of molecules", then I asked him what scientist has made such a claim. Funny how you left that part out to make my post seem very different.

Uh, no.

That's from your OP (which the quote even hyperlinks to). Which, y'know, you posted. Yourself.

I'm assuming that's where elegant_atheist got the phrase from.

26-07-2013, 11:13 AM
(26-07-2013 10:24 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 09:33 AM)I and I Wrote:  I was quoting a poster on this thread that made the claim that "we are just a collection of molecules", then I asked him what scientist has made such a claim. Funny how you left that part out to make my post seem very different.

Uh, no.

That's from your OP (which the quote even hyperlinks to). Which, y'know, you posted. Yourself.

I'm assuming that's where elegant_atheist got the phrase from.

Elegant atheist made the claim, do you agree with his claim?
26-07-2013, 11:40 AM
(26-07-2013 11:13 AM)I and I Wrote:  Elegant atheist made the claim...

Only after you did. Or have you forgotten your own OP? It has been a while, I suppose.

It strikes me as perhaps a touch disingenuous to make such a claim yourself, see someone else respond to it, and only then ask that someone else to substantiate it.

(26-07-2013 11:13 AM)I and I Wrote:  ... do you agree with his claim?

Other than 'just', which seems to preclude or ignore the existence of emergent and chaotic systems? No, not even then. There are many components of the human body which are either ionic in nature or simply free particles. So 'molecules' is insufficient.

27-07-2013, 02:33 AM
(26-07-2013 11:40 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 11:13 AM)I and I Wrote:  Elegant atheist made the claim...

Only after you did. Or have you forgotten your own OP? It has been a while, I suppose.

It strikes me as perhaps a touch disingenuous to make such a claim yourself, see someone else respond to it, and only then ask that someone else to substantiate it.

(26-07-2013 11:13 AM)I and I Wrote:  ... do you agree with his claim?

Other than 'just', which seems to preclude or ignore the existence of emergent and chaotic systems? No, not even then. There are many components of the human body which are either ionic in nature or simply free particles. So 'molecules' is insufficient.

You have to be stupid to see me counter a claim, then try to act like I support a claim.

Elegant atheist claimed that we are just molecules. I did not make that claim.
27-07-2013, 05:08 AM
(27-07-2013 02:33 AM)I and I Wrote:  I must to be stupid to counter a claim, then try to act like I support a claim.

Fix'd. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab