does life have meaning? does science have meaning?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2013, 02:04 AM
Does science give meaning to life? If one believes that life can be explained as just collections of molecules with no meaning in its assemblages then wouldn't that also go for scientists and everything else that we call "truth" "fact" ? Science today is a huge contradiction, it says that life is just a collection of molecules with no grand meaning, yet it spends billions of dollars on research. What are they looking for? What is their research going towards?

Science is so close to religion yet it is in constant denial of this closeness, they both are the excrement of humanity.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2013, 02:22 AM
RE: does life have meaning? does science have meaning?
Science isn't in the "give meaning to" business, it's in the fact checking business.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
07-07-2013, 02:41 AM
(07-07-2013 02:22 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Science isn't in the "give meaning to" business, it's in the fact checking business.

Why do scientists look for facts? Do you believe that there is or are truths that exist outside human minds?
07-07-2013, 02:48 AM
So in the form of a syllogism:
1. Science is not looking for the "meaning of life"
2. Money is spent on science
Therefore
3. Scientists are turds

Science increases the capability of humans to manipulate their environment in ways that benefit humanity. Those billions of dollars of research are paid for by increased productivity and profitability. They are not a sunk cost. They are an investment. Arguing that they don't produce value because they address "is" issues rather than "ought" issues is a non sequitur.

Good job calling the guys making a difference to the future of humanity turds. Next time you cure a disease or invent a communications revolution please let me know.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 6 users Like Hafnof's post
07-07-2013, 03:13 AM
(07-07-2013 02:41 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 02:22 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Science isn't in the "give meaning to" business, it's in the fact checking business.

Why do scientists look for facts? Do you believe that there is or are truths that exist outside human minds?

Why do you post the many many posts about "US back this and that"?

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
07-07-2013, 03:35 AM
(07-07-2013 02:48 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  So in the form of a syllogism:
1. Science is not looking for the "meaning of life"
2. Money is spent on science
Therefore
3. Scientists are turds

Science increases the capability of humans to manipulate their environment in ways that benefit humanity. Those billions of dollars of research are paid for by increased productivity and profitability. They are not a sunk cost. They are an investment. Arguing that they don't produce value because they address "is" issues rather than "ought" issues is a non sequitur.

Good job calling the guys making a difference to the future of humanity turds. Next time you cure a disease or invent a communications revolution please let me know.

Nope, what I am saying is there is a huge contradiction in science, their actions say that scientists believe in a meaning yet their conclusions say the opposite. PARADOX: If science shows that life has no meaning then so does the life of a scientist have no meaning along with whatever they say in their lifetime.

it's a contradiction to say life has no meaning and at the same time science and scientists keep assigning meanings for things.
07-07-2013, 04:03 AM
You wanna know what has no meaning?
That horrible haircut of yours. Why do you constantly plague the world with it's ugliness?

07-07-2013, 10:05 AM
(07-07-2013 02:04 AM)I and I Wrote:  Does science give meaning to life? If one believes that life can be explained as just collections of molecules with no meaning in its assemblages then wouldn't that also go for scientists and everything else that we call "truth" "fact" ? Science today is a huge contradiction, it says that life is just a collection of molecules with no grand meaning, yet it spends billions of dollars on research. What are they looking for? What is their research going towards?

Science is so close to religion yet it is in constant denial of this closeness, they both are the excrement of humanity.

Scientists are not trying to find the meaning of life.

Scientists are trying to find more about our origins and our place in the universe, out of a thing called curiosity.

You must be really stupid if you can't see where curiosity has led us.

Their research is going towards the advancement of society for the good of the people, and it would be a better world if people could recognize that.
[+] 2 users Like UndercoverAtheist's post
07-07-2013, 10:06 AM
(07-07-2013 02:41 AM)I and I Wrote:  

Scientists look for facts because those facts point to our origin.

Do you not care about where you come from? What you were billions of years ago, because you were at one point just a collection of molecules.

Now, you are a sentient being capable of the greatest thing in the universe, thought.
07-07-2013, 10:11 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 10:43 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(07-07-2013 02:41 AM)I and I Wrote:  Do you believe that there is or are truths that exist outside human minds?

Of course we all know when I and I needs surgery, or an antibiotic he will just have his, or someone else's "mind" do it, since that's the only place science really exists. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)