dont be a dick

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2012, 04:05 PM
RE: dont be a dick
(13-11-2012 03:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-11-2012 10:18 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Noted. But you've been in the US so long I figured a lot of American dick has rubbed off on you.

So to speak. Drinking Beverage
You make an acceptable argument. Consider
I would like to think I've rubbed off my American dick on Chas anyway.....wait... Ohmy

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2012, 04:12 PM
I kinda agree with the initial post.

I'm not a fan of calling myself an atheist, any more than I generally call myself a non-stamp-collector. I don't join clubs for either of those things that I am not, nor for any other thing that I am not.

But if I did decide to adopt a label for myself, I would think it advisable to comport myself with reasonable dignity and compassion for my fellow man, regardless of my low opinion of self-deluding theists, if for no other reason than the fact that my behavior reflects on everyone else who chooses to share the the same label.

Everyone loses if we run around calling ourselves atheists and then act like douche bags; it simply reinforces the opinion shared by much of mankind that atheists are immoral untrustworthy scum.

So either drop the label and then be as much of a douche as you want, or wear the label and behave yourself - either one is fine with me. But don't screw up the label by reinforcing its already too-negative image.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
13-11-2012, 04:15 PM
(13-11-2012 04:12 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I kinda agree with the initial post.

I'm not a fan of calling myself an atheist, any more than I generally call myself a non-stamp-collector. I don't join clubs for either of those things that I am not, nor for any other thing that I am not.

But if I did decide to adopt a label for myself, I would think it advisable to comport myself with reasonable dignity and compassion for my fellow man, regardless of my low opinion of self-deluding theists, if for no other reason than the fact that my behavior reflects on everyone else who chooses to share the the same label.

Everyone loses if we run around calling ourselves atheists and then act like douche bags; it simply reinforces the opinion shared by much of mankind that atheists are immoral untrustworthy scum.

So either drop the label and then be as much of a douche as you want, or wear the label and behave yourself - either one is fine with me. But don't screw up the label by reinforcing its already too-negative image.

You're trying to herd cats.

And if you persist, it will be like juggling cats.

Nothing to be gained in the attempt.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Juggling cats is easy, just catch them all by the scruff of the neck. Not really any harder than juggling chainsaws. Easier, really, because you don't have to feed chainsaws or change their litter between acts.

Yes, I get it. I'm not trying to impose rules on a bunch of atheists who have nothing in common but their lack of theistic belief; I was just supporting the OP. Maybe with a wistful hope that some douchey atheist might read this thread and rethink attitude. About as likely as a cat rethinking his attitude, but hey, it's my dime, I'll be as wistful as I please.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
13-11-2012, 06:58 PM
(13-11-2012 04:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  You're trying to herd cats.

And if you persist, it will be like juggling cats.

Nothing to be gained in the attempt.

13-11-2012, 07:06 PM
The point I was trying to make other than don't be a dick, would have been that if you expect yourself to be taken seriously and treated professionally in what you do then you should act professionally. If you go around trying to make a real difference in your area (read, my area) then you should act like intelligent sensible people who aren't just hanging out to make fun of the fundies.

With the HAHA you're stupid mentality you aren't going to make any headway with them. All of your pleas will be answered with a resounding go fuck yourselves. In my area the numbers are not in the atheist's favor.

Also don't be a dick because it's dumb. Asshole sure, assholes react with menace and ire, and will shit all over you. Dicks just poke everyone until they get the bobbit treatment.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
13-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Lucky it wasn't some of the loverly chaps I spoke to on Dawkins site they would tied you to a stake and set you on fire for murmuring the world God. Anyone would have thought christains had ransacked their homes and ran off with their wives.