dumbest question ever

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2014, 11:54 PM
dumbest question ever
why does adding the word the before an insult make it a complement.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2014, 11:57 PM
RE: dumbest question ever
Example, please?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-12-2014, 12:01 AM
1. i had noticed that there are times when people oput themselves down and this is a tactic to cheer them up. for example my friend called himself a piece of shit and I said. " you not a piece of shit you the shit, and he laughed and tool it as a complement. also works with bitch and most insults. your the asshole or the idiot.

18-12-2014, 12:30 AM
In your specific example: Because it differentiates somebody from normal shit. They're a platonic ideal of shit; unique and special.

It also takes ownership over the term, if you take pride in an appelation then you rob it of it's power. See also: Fag, twink, bitch, redneck, bogan, yuppie and nigger.

In general: People are weird.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 3 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
18-12-2014, 12:32 AM
thanx............. lol.

18-12-2014, 12:40 AM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2014 12:54 AM by Nurse.)
Because you're taking ownership of the word and turning it into something awesome, something positive. It's the best comeback when someone is being mean.

For example, a patient in the ED calls me a bitch, not an uncommon scenario. I know I'm not a bitch - I'm really quite friendly. But, it pisses me off a bit, and then I do let a little bit of bitchy slip through the professionalism. So, I *might* Angel say, "I am not a bitch, I am the bitch, and that's Nurse Bitch to you." I just took an insult, made myself awesome using their words, and then granted myself a title. I introduce myself to my patients with just my first name, even though I actually go by a double name (it's common in the Deep South - Mary Kate, Mary Sue, Mary Beth, Mary Lauren, Anna Beth, Anna Kate, Anna Lauren, etc), as a form of distancing myself. When someone starts spouting crap like that, I'll say - "You will call me nurse, and you will show me respect." Usually works. If I don't want to engage at all and don't have to establish authority, I just take the condescending church lady high road - "Aww, that's nice."

Edit: Sorry, SAM, didn't see your reply before I posted! Obviously, I agree!

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
18-12-2014, 02:06 AM
^Damned right you do. *Preen*

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post