empathy vs sympathy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2013, 10:38 AM
empathy vs sympathy
a friend shared this on Facebook today and it really touched home with me. quick little video in the link.

difference between empathy vs sympathy

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
17-12-2013, 01:10 PM
RE: empathy vs sympathy
Nice little video..

Not to turn this into my soapbox, but my wife is dying of kidney and liver failure, add to that she has stage 4 dementia. I get so much BS sympathy from people even after I tell them that I've come to terms with it. It does no good to tell me how sorry they feel or that it sucks. I usually cut them off quick and change the subject.

Empathy would be more in line with actually helping out a bit. But the old "I'll pray for you" bullshit and other talking points is all I get, like 'call me if you need anything' and 'Oh, sorry, I'm really busy right now' comes along.

Dont know what I'll be like when she passes, but I'll be on my own and for some reason feel like I wont be the tough guy I've been all my life .

Sorry, I dont know where that came from....... not really my style. Sad
[+] 3 users Like War Horse's post
17-12-2013, 01:53 PM
(17-12-2013 01:10 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Nice little video..

Not to turn this into my soapbox, but my wife is dying of kidney and liver failure, add to that she has stage 4 dementia. I get so much BS sympathy from people even after I tell them that I've come to terms with it. It does no good to tell me how sorry they feel or that it sucks. I usually cut them off quick and change the subject.

Empathy would be more in line with actually helping out a bit. But the old "I'll pray for you" bullshit and other talking points is all I get, like 'call me if you need anything' and 'Oh, sorry, I'm really busy right now' comes along.

Dont know what I'll be like when she passes, but I'll be on my own and for some reason feel like I wont be the tough guy I've been all my life .

Hug

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
17-12-2013, 03:57 PM
(17-12-2013 10:38 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  a friend shared this on Facebook today and it really touched home with me. quick little video in the link.

I like it. So often, people offer only sympathy. When you're dealing with something heavy, a bucket of "sorrys" doesn't help. Having someone to talk to who can understand you can make a huge difference.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
17-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Hmm, I was raised to believe sympathy was feeling [feelings] because you are imagining what another person is going through, and that empathy was feeling [feelings] because somebody is going through something that you have been through before.

I guess it's dictionary time for me..

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
17-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Sympathy: feeling the same as someone else.

Empathy: making yourself feel the same as someone else.

So empathy is one way to sympathy.
17-12-2013, 06:49 PM
(17-12-2013 10:38 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  a friend shared this on Facebook today and it really touched home with me. quick little video in the link.

Thank you for posting this Hug
[+] 1 user Likes thedudette's post
17-12-2013, 06:56 PM
(17-12-2013 01:10 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Nice little video..

Please don't apologize for talking about these things. Hug
[+] 1 user Likes thedudette's post
17-12-2013, 07:32 PM
(17-12-2013 03:57 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  

I like it. So often, people offer only sympathy. When you're dealing with something heavy, a bucket of "sorrys" doesn't help. Having someone to talk to who can understand you can make a huge difference.

Yup. I always just figured it as crying with you as opposed to crying for you. It don't seem complicated to me.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-12-2013, 03:31 PM
I liked it, too. A dear old friend of mine called last month to tell me that they'd lost their baby to SIDS. We've talked more often since then, and most of the time we don't talk about their loss. We just talk about life, we laugh, we tell stories. That just seems to be what she needs.

Several years ago I had a friend going through an incredibly painful and stressful process. I wanted to "fix" it for her but took a deep breath and simply told her what I felt, which involved affirming a sense of her own personal worth, which in retrospect she acknowledged was just what she needed. I had this image in my mind of her, gripping the edge of a cliff, feet dangling, asking for a lift up. I didn't want to be the one standing over her with a bag of hand-me-down clothes or friendly fashion advice, I wanted to help her in the way she needed help. Somehow, thankfully, I think I sensed what she needed. You could probably say that was a turning point for me.
[+] 2 users Like BeccaBoo's post